Good ground beef in CM

lj cm

I used to be happy with the ground beef from Rimping Supermarket; but now they found a new trick. Instead of increasing the price (again), they increased the fat content, so it's getting a little bit to much.

Today I went to Tops Supermarket and the ground beef there looked even worse. Almost white in colour.

So; does anyone know where to get good ground beef?

I know what you mean.

It was possible to tell the difference between ground beef and pork, by the deep red colour of the beef.

Not anymore!

They stopped putting red food coloring in the beef? ?? w00t.gif

You could be right,laugh.png but beef is much redder than pork anyway.

I noticed that the fat content has increased considerably.

I buy it rarely, but for regular beef eaters an email to Rimping might help, they are quite helpful.

Edited by uptheos

Most places with a butcher department will probably grind up any kind of beef for you? (Including Rim Ping, Makro, etc.)

Then perhaps just mix with the fatty stuff to get to the desired level, and there you go.

Will they trim off all the fat and still charge the same per kilo? smile.png

Generally, you see the meat you want, choose it and get it weighed. That's what you pay. If you want that hunk ground up, they will do that, often no charge. If you want the outside fat trimmed off prior to grinding, ask for that. Give the fat to your dog or mother in law. But regardless of what the butcher does after the price is determined, that price will not change. Seems very sensible to me.

If you want to eat fatty, cholesterol laden beef, fine. But besides the clogged arteries, there will be a price to pay.

• Like 1

Generally, you see the meat you want, choose it and get it weighed. That's what you pay. If you want that hunk ground up, they will do that, often no charge. If you want the outside fat trimmed off prior to grinding, ask for that. Give the fat to your dog or mother in law. But regardless of what the butcher does after the price is determined, that price will not change. Seems very sensible to me.

If you want to eat fatty, cholesterol laden beef, fine. But besides the clogged arteries, there will be a price to pay.

Good idea I don't have to cook it for either biggrin.png

Minced beef at Makro Hang Dong 290 THB today looked very lean.

Pork mince looked awful .. from very old boars (too dark) and way too much fat even in the premium mix.

OK; I will try Makro. I have only seen frozen minced beef there before.

Pork mince looked awful .. from very old boars (too dark) and way too much fat even in the premium mix.

OK; I will try Makro. I have only seen frozen minced beef there before.

The minced lamb from NZ at Makro is pretty tasty, a bit fatty but that's lamb for you.

Ground pork at Rimping Hang Dong is great. Not too much fat and good taste cooked.

I'd consider the sanitation at RP as I went there a on Tues and bought a sirloin steak at over a 1000 bht/kilo. The counter help, I wouldn't insult butchers by calling him one, took the whole cut to the back and cut me off a piece twice as big as I asked for as he obviously had no idea how big a 200 bht = 200 bht looked like (7 oz or a regular restaurant size in the West for you consumers). First I was surprised that he didn't do it by hand until I heard the saw cutting realizing that it was frozen. But it got scary as he weighed it on a scale which had dried blood on it and was in need of a good clean. I then only imagined how sanitary the table saw was! So if this is the cleanliness of the scale the the customers can see I would be very wary of the grinder as exposing meat to air to the degree that grinding does it must be kept clean!

Any meat raw is going to have bacteria. Once cooked well it is all safe.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'd consider the sanitation at RP as I went there a on Tues and bought a sirloin steak at over a 1000 bht/kilo. The counter help, I wouldn't insult butchers by calling him one, took the whole cut to the back and cut me off a piece twice as big as I asked for as he obviously had no idea how big a 200 bht = 200 bht looked like (7 oz or a regular restaurant size in the West for you consumers). First I was surprised that he didn't do it by hand until I heard the saw cutting realizing that it was frozen. But it got scary as he weighed it on a scale which had dried blood on it and was in need of a good clean. I then only imagined how sanitary the table saw was! So if this is the cleanliness of the scale the the customers can see I would be very wary of the grinder as exposing meat to air to the degree that grinding does it must be kept clean!

Any meat raw is going to have bacteria. Once cooked well it is all safe.

If one is going to cook a beef hamburger, cuz what other kind is there really?, well done then well ..... what's the point? A true med-rare burger is not the only way but the American way!!!!!!

As for pork and chicken I agree to a point but if it's has a bad off smell when raw I won't feed it to my family no matter how much it's cooked afterwards.

As for Makro the one I go to on the Superhighway they sell two blends of ground pork, one with a higher fat content, and I find either has a longer shelve life then buying from my pork lady, at my local market, talat Rumchok (both are CP products).

But when I can I buy from one of the smaller pork only shops that sell locally raised pigs that are in the Mae Jo area.