Trip Report Penang ED visa with agent

i thought i could share that one with all the news requirements about ED visa.

So i had one ED visa already , expiring . Was told i had to get out of Thailand to extend it and make a new one abroad.

Due to the school being lale with papers , i went to Phuket Town Immigration and asked for a 7 days extension.

Fly from Phuket direct to Penang with FireFly. Around 5K go and come back.

I arrived monday 19 around 5PM in Penang. I booked an hotel on Chulia street called Yeng Keng Hotel . Very nice place , smalls rooms but cute . Its not cheap tho around 3K baths a night.

Went to see Jim on 19 around 7PM , gave him the school papers ( the new ones with the hours stamped by minister etc etc , passeport , 2 pictures , and copy of my return flight booking. ) THis is necessary for him to be able to get your passport back early 2 days later.

so i paid 420 RM total to him including Visa fee , his fee ( 50 ) and 100 rm extra to get it early 2 days later so i can catch my flight back.

One thing .. when i asked him about this delay on ED visa on the phone , he asked my nationality , im french . Was ok for him but maybe its more complicated with others nationalities im not sure. Call him to be sure if you wanna do this run.

Anyway on 21 ; went at 11.30 AM to his shop , visa ready and taxi waiting for me to go airport.( 40RM ride ) . I had more than enough time to catch my fly back to Phuket at 2.25 PM.

Everything was fine and i didnt set a foot at the embassy.

Jims place website : http://jimsplacepenang.tripod.com/ Better call him he was more than slow to reply my email.

the 100 RM to get visa early 2 days later allowed me to not stay there 2 more days , and pay hotel and food etc... since the Penang Phuket from firefly are every 2 days.

Cheers.

Edited by SlyouThai

Good to see a positive post above getting an ED visa in Malaysia. All previous posts said don't go there because they reject everyone & are extremely difficult. Was there any benefits of you using an agent as opposed to going there yourself? Does he have some "special arrangement" with the embassy?

What's wrong with savanakhet same day service?

Phuket Udon 4000THB

No need to pay 2 days hotels/meals

No need to pay extra 4000 THB for agent

Savannakhet is about a 4 hour bus ride from Udon. For Savannakhet you fly via Nakhon Phanom.

Air Asia and Nok Air have a fly/ride service to Mukdahan that is across the river from Savannakhet.

• Like 1

Phuket Udon 4000THB

Savannakhet is about a 4 hour bus ride from Udon. For Savannakhet you fly via Nakhon Phanom.

Air Asia and Nok Air have a fly/ride service to Mukdahan that is across the river from Savannakhet.

Yep

1 night 1 day in sav that is still better than 2days in Penang with 4000THB extra for agent

My only comment is you paid way too much for a hotel in Penang. You were down in the UNESCO heritage area which is why prices were inflated. You can get a clean mid range hotel along Jalan Burma for about $35 to $40 US approx $1200 THB. But otherwise good news.

• Like 1

Phuket Udon 4000THB

Air Asia and Nok Air have a fly/ride service to Muikdahan that is across the river from Savannakhet.

Are there any direct flights from BKK to Savannakhet & if so, approximately how much is the cost?

Phuket Udon 4000THB

Air Asia and Nok Air have a fly/ride service to Muikdahan that is across the river from Savannakhet.

Are there any direct flights from BKK to Savannakhet & if so, approximately how much is the cost?

even if you take a cab from udon to Sav and back that would be way cheaper and faster than having to stay 2 days (hotel meals)in Penang and pay extra 4000 thb for agent

even if you take a cab from udon to Sav and back that would be way cheaper and faster than having to stay 2 days (hotel meals)in Penang and pay extra 4000 thb for agent

Why are you insisting on flying to Udon when I wrote you can fly to a airport nearer to Savannakhet.

You can fly from Savannakhet from BKK to Savannakhet on Lao Airways. The problem with flight is that it gets in to late to apply for the visa and departs to late to pickup the visa. The fare is about $257 round trip. See: http://www.laos-airlines.net/epage.asp

50 ringit for agent is about 500 baht, cheaper than taxi rides to the consulate.

Why are you insisting on flying to Udon when I wrote you can fly to a airport nearer to Savannakhet.

You can fly from Savannakhet from BKK to Savannakhet on Lao Airways. The problem with flight is that it gets in to late to apply for the visa and departs to late to pickup the visa. The fare is about $257 round trip. See: http://www.laos-airlines.net/epage.asp

I take it Lao Airways is the only airlines that fly between BKK & Savannakhet?

They are the only ones.

A lots of people do the route via Nakhon Phanom.

You can do the fly/ride service to Mukdahan in the afternoon, spend the night there and then take the first bus to Savannakhet the next morning. Apply for your visa, pick it up and then go back to Mukdahan to catch the airline transport to Nakhon Phanom.

They are the only ones.

You can do the fly/ride service to Mukdahan in the afternoon, spend the night there and then take the first bus to Savannakhet the next morning. Apply for your visa, pick it up and then go back to Mukdahan to catch the airline transport to Nakhon Phanom.

Sorry but how is that not better than staying 2 days in Penang ($30 a night+meals) + 4K for the agent?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Good to see a positive post above getting an ED visa in Malaysia. All previous posts said don't go there because they reject everyone & are extremely difficult. Was there any benefits of you using an agent as opposed to going there yourself? Does he have some "special arrangement" with the embassy?

The benefits for me were :

- I could get my passport back on 21 morning . This way I had enough times to take my flight back direct to Phuket. Without agent i couldnt do that since the hours to get your passport back are in the afternoon. So since the fly to phuket are only every 2 days , i didnt have to spend 2 days more over there for nothing.

- I didnt have to go consulate , i dont know for you guys but if can avoid to go see officials talking to me like a dog i just feel better. ( yeah it happens...)

- No taxi ride to consulate to give papers and no taxi ride to get it back , this is time you can use for something else , like going out and sleeping late instead of wake up 7AM to go consulate.

- I dont know if he have special connection like if he is capable of having a visa while you will not alone. I doubt that. BUt he have enough connection at least to get your passport back before the offcial consulate opening hours.

Phuket Udon 4000THB

From Phuket i had one friend doing visa run the same week end. He told me he had 2 different flys , Bus ride and extra cash to get in the country. Fly alone was about 7K i paid 5K for Penang . I could go to Laos yeah but i thought this was more simple , even i needed one more day. This was my choice anybody can do whatever he wants.

Why Do you keep talking about extra 4K bath for agent ? please read my post careffuly. I Paid 50 RM ( around 500 baths ) for him and extra 100 RM to get my visa early instead of afternoon. The rest is the standard fee for applying ED visa that i have to pay anywhere.....

So in my case i paid the agent total 150Rm ( 1355 baths ) . Im not sure how much is a taxi ride 2 times to go consulate , but i think around 50 to 100. With him i didnt have to pay taxi and i didnt have to go there. so overall his service probably cost me 50 to 100 RM ( 500 to 1K baths )

My only comment is you paid way too much for a hotel in Penang. You were down in the UNESCO heritage area which is why prices were inflated. You can get a clean mid range hotel along Jalan Burma for about $35 to $40 US approx $1200 THB. But otherwise good news.

As i said in my post yeah it wasnt cheap. I took this one because i wanted a good place to stay 2 days there. Offcourse you can find way cheaper than that.

Edited by SlyouThai

They are the only ones.

Has that usually been a cheaper option than taking a flight directly to Laos by taking a flight directly to Nakhon Phanom or Mukdahan instead?

They are the only ones.

Has that usually been a cheaper option than taking a flight directly to Laos by taking a flight directly to Nakhon Phanom or Mukdahan instead?

It can be a lot cheaper especially if you can plan your trip ahead of time.

You can do it even cheaper by flying here to Ubon because you have a lot more options for flights. From here to Mukdahan is about 3 hours by bus.