Rental Agent Fees

Having purchased a new apartment in Bangkok and fitted it out with utilities I am now thinking of renting it out. I contacted 2 rental agents who both asked for "One month's rent" as their fee - before we even discussed what the rent might be. Does anyone have experience as to whether this is a widespread practice, or should I shop around - and if the latter does anyone have a good experience of a rental agent and can recommend them?

Edited by graham66

One month is the normal fee they charge,but I would

choose to try and find a tenant myself,by using free,

adverts on ThaiVisa classifieds,BhatSold, ,any message

boards in local supermarkets,the front desk of the Condo,

We used to use agents,but find its much better to do it

ourselves for the last few years,find tenants quicker and

also save money,

regards Worgeordie

The typical fee, I pay two separate agents for my condo's, is 1month for the 1st year, then 50% & 25% for the next two years of renewal. You of course can advertise yourself, but my experience at least, is that you end up with more unrented months between tenants, which then negates the fee you pay to an agent

The typical fee, I pay two separate agents for my condo's, is 1month for the 1st year, then 50% & 25% for the next two years of renewal. You of course can advertise yourself, but my experience at least, is that you end up with more unrented months between tenants, which then negates the fee you pay to an agent

I would never pay the agent if the tenant renews the contract ,they get the one months

commission for finding the tenant,after that, renewing the contract is between you and

the tenant,in the past we have had agents try and ask for extra payments after the

tenant renewed for another year,and they were told politely what they could do.

Your experience of finding tenants yourself depends on how hard you try,and we

have found it to be just the opposite of your experience,but you can do it both ways,

yourself and an agent

regards Worgeordie

Worgeodie; granted but a lot depends on the situation. I, for example don't live in Bangkok so the extra expense of having to travel to Bangkok, to deal with prospective renters, can far out weigh the expense of using an agent.

The fact remains, to answer to original question, Yes this is a quite normal agency fee