All taxis required to use taximeter, Thai DLT official says

webfact

And let's not forget that many taxis have converted to LPG. The fuel tank in the boot takes up a considerable amount of space which is supposed to be only be used for luggage.

Last but not least, typical vehicles such as the Toyota Corolla Altis were never intended to be used as taxis. They're way too small with very little legroom for passengers on the back seat. If Thai cabbies want to be taken seriously. let them buy the kind of vehicle built for the job such as this one:

post-101376-0-43866300-1421940358_thumb.

Farang usual are big size and weigh a lot more than Thai people.

Hence Farang should pay a fuel premium.

If farang flying into Thailand can afford to pay thousands (some times tens of thousand) in jet fuel surcharge, I am sure they would not mind paying a few hundred Bahts in LPG fuel surcharge.

Farang needs to pay extra because they are rich and can afford to. Thai people are poor and have no money to pay.

I'm a small size farang and I weigh less than 70 kilos.

Jet fuel surcharge is imposed by the airline and not something which can be negotiated.

I am NOT rich! Thais watch too many TV soap operas which picture farangs living in large houses with big gardens and a swimming pool. In reality, life is not like that in the West and the majority of Westerners earn far less than Thais imagine. I can only afford to travel once a year for a couple of weeks if I'm lucky.

And if Thai people are so poor, how come I see them driving around in BMWs, Mercedes and Ferraris?

"And if Thai people are so poor, how come I see them driving around in BMWs, Mercedes and Ferraris?"

All of them, most of them, a lot of them, some of them, a few of them? Or just a small minority? A week ago I saw a Thai driving a Rolls Royce Phantom in Soi 7, doesn't mean all Thai people can do the same.

Edited by Sviss Geez

Can I have the business card of DLT Deputy Director-General Chirute Visalachitra ?

The luggage fee is a new one , they always bitch at me because I have large suitcases , somehow that extra 100 pounds means I have to pay more but not if there is an extra 100 pound Thai ????

"The luggage fee is a new one..."

No it's not, it doesn't exist yet.

Can I have the business card of DLT Deputy Director-General Chirute Visalachitra ?

The luggage fee is a new one , they always bitch at me because I have large suitcases , somehow that extra 100 pounds means I have to pay more but not if there is an extra 100 pound Thai ????

Haven't heard them complaining and demanding extra when squeezing 5-6 Thai passengers into a cab.

Haven't heard them complaining or demanding extra when 5 or 6 foreigners squeeze in either.

Edited by Sviss Geez

Is this only for Bangkok or all over Thailand ?

Next time I enter a taxi and the driver refiuse to use the meter I will show them the thai script of DLT Deputy Director-General Chirute Visalachitra speech , then I'm sure the driver will understand I'm not a stupid farang. .

No, he'll think you're even more stupid ... and then beat the s..t out of you.

Greetings...with all the posts about taxis, and my own varied experiences with drivers since my arrival in Thailand a year ago, I decided to keep track of my encounters for 90 day period (yes...I'm retired and bored often)...the 90 days ended today...as background, I do not live in a tourist area such as Sukumvit...I use a taxi every 2 days or so, usually to travel to the market/MRT/restaurant...the fares are usually around 75 to 150 baht...once a month I visit Chon Buri, as I have a home there, and I make sure it is secure..I also made 2 trips to the bus station and 1 trip to DM airport...so here's the tally of my interactions...

there were 42 days that I traveled...I made 86 trips with a taxi...of those 86 trips, 12 taxis refused to use the meter and demanded a negotiation, which I rejected...another 8 refused to take me to my destination, so they refused me...

of the 86 taxis that I accepted....2 surprised me with an unexpected surcharge at my destination...1 taxi had no idea where the bus station was, and he circled the area for 20 minutes, ignoring my directions, before dropping me off at a city bus stop at my request...on my trip to Chon Buri, the first taxi increased his fare once we were underway, prompting me to change taxis again before I left BKK..9 taxis refused to use the meter, but I accepted the negotiated price...

so...out of 86 taxi rides, 13 drivers (15%) used some technique or ploy to increase the fare...about 20% of my attempts to get a taxi failed...keep in mind that my travel is usually less than 10 km, and during daylight hours...

so basically...most taxi drivers are honest, efficient, and courteous...but the frequency of small problems are noticeable...I imagine if you reside in a tourist area, the rates for problems are significantly higher...

how do others' overall experience with taxis compare? what percentage of drivers create small problems? just curious...

In the land of Oz, the Indian taxi drivers started charging a luggage fee without authority. A law unto themselves, they would often not use the meter, take the "scenic route", refuse passengers and be extremely rude. No racism intended. It got to a stage where, at a taxi rank where protocol is to take the front taxi, most customers would avoid Indian drivers and take a cab further along the line. They were much worse than anything I have encountered here, and Indian taxi drivers are now by far the majority in the city I come from.

There is no justification for a luggage fee. If you have three passengers and luggage, it would probably take up the same room and weight as 4 passengers. If there were 4 passengers and a copious amount of luggage, take two taxis. If the driver assists with your luggage in and out of the vehicle, reward him for his excellent service.

There is no justification for a luggage fee. If you have three passengers and luggage, it would probably take up the same room and weight as 4 passengers. If there were 4 passengers and a copious amount of luggage, take two taxis. If the driver assists with your luggage in and out of the vehicle, reward him for his excellent service.

Yeah but now that it is floated you can be sure many of the taxis around the Airport will try and charge it.......

I would like the rates to be higher for the honest Taxis , but the scammers will still scam whatever the official rate is :(

If farang flying into Thailand can afford to pay thousands (some times tens of thousand) in jet fuel surcharge, I am sure they would not mind paying a few hundred Bahts in LPG fuel surcharge.

Farang needs to pay extra because they are rich and can afford to. Thai people are poor and have no money to pay.

hey the General can use you in his team...

Frank have big D.ck. That is about 4 inch. That's why farang need to pay more

Across thanon On Nut from my apartment, the motorcycle taxis began to charge me 50% more because I weigh 97 kilos. Three days later I bought my own motorcycle and I always give them a nice wave as I pull out of the apartment driveway. Sure, the money I spent on the motorcycle could buy a lot of motorcycle taxi rides but I really don't like being overcharged. I have always believed that something is better than nothing but I doubt these guys can put two and two together and get four.

TROLL.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

facepalm.gif

And let's not forget that many taxis have converted to LPG. The fuel tank in the boot takes up a considerable amount of space which is supposed to be only be used for luggage.

Last but not least, typical vehicles such as the Toyota Corolla Altis were never intended to be used as taxis. They're way too small with very little legroom for passengers on the back seat. If Thai cabbies want to be taken seriously. let them buy the kind of vehicle built for the job such as this one:

You can not convert a London Taxi to LPG, they are diesel engines.

So, next time I take a taxi with my Thai wife and 2 kids, I will argue that I should only have to pay 25% of the overcharge amount. But, I'm not big and fat, and I'm not rich, so I should be able to negotiate my 25% down. I'm really poor, chotthee. Do you know any massage parlor brokers that can buy my daughter? But, since she is half American I expect 50% more. Well, its been fun talking to you, but I see that its time for you to go out and plow the field. So,get behind the water buffalo and enjoy the view.

• Like 1

Required,,,,,Forbids,,,,,All talk and no Action,,Make it a Law and Police the Law,Now the GREED has GROWN they want more so they try to bing in a luggage fee,,,,Is the Taxi driver going to make up a fee,,,or make up a fee for every piece of luggage or is this going to made up per weight. This is going to be an other tourist advertisement,never ending disaster.

taxi driver likes to argue how extra distance means charging more and complain how expensive gas is, etc, and with the Japanese mans case, the driver almost doubled the price, yet they think everyone must be stupid. Taxi runs on LPG, even if the distance doubles price of "gas" don't reflect doubling the cost of the fare. If they want to tack on a surcharge of 10-20 baht per additional suitcase, I think that is fair as many taxi's in western countries do that as well.

This is either extremely tongue in cheek or, going by your by-line "War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength" you must be extremely strong!!

What farang pay or don't pay to come to this nest of vipers is stuff-all to do with you or your fellow countrymen. Your mindset is a big part of the problem with Thailand.

Backward, third worldly and extremely ignorant.

Haven't heard them complaining and demanding extra when squeezing 5-6 Thai passengers into a cab.

Haven't heard them complaining or demanding extra when 5 or 6 foreigners squeeze in either.

Yeah, but you live in lah-lah land, not here!! cheesy.gif

They should have taken the driverslicense of that taxidriver who extorted the Japanese tourist. Now he can't come to suvarnabhumi, bet he is at don Muang now.

Do you think he had one?

The more I think about it, the more I am inclined to order a limo service when landing.

Already did so for next week trip from Don Mueang to Cha Am and back one week later, plan a trip to meet some friends in Pattaya in March, might use same company if happy for their service (Camry from Swampy to HH 2100 and to P 1100)

If you think BKK taxi is bad, wait till you go to KUL

http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/10/09/whine-wednesdays-hot-meters-in-kuala-lumpur/

By law all taxi is KL have a large "This is a metered taxi haggling is prohibited" sticker on.
Is say exactly what it meant:
1. Yes, there is a meter, but it did not say if it need to be operational.
2. Haggling is prohibited mean just pay what were fix fare the driver tells you.

I'm not sure where you get your taxis from but I use the public taxi counter at KUL and pay MYR 72 (THB 650) from the airport to the city center which is about a 1 hour drive down a good motorway. Hardly excessive.

If you go down the clapped out local taxis that have just dropped off an incoming passenger and try to bargain it may be different - but hardly worth the bother.