Visa run to Vientiane from Udon Thani, question about bus to Nong Khai Friendship Bridge

Is there a bus that leaves early early in the morning to the Nong Khai Friendship bridge? I do not want to take a minivan but want to travel like the locals on a bus. Can someone give me tips on how much it costs and where I need to go to catch one of these bad boys? Thank you!

I would be interested too, so please share if you find something OP. (I'm also looking myself and will post it here if I find anything, I have to go to Vientiane soon and might fly there directly or go through udon thani and take a bus there)

Edited by dacuzzi

can anyone tell me about how I can take a bus to the friendship bridge and what I do from there to get to the thai stamp out location? i got everything else planned and knowledge of, just missing this middle part now.

This is the scenario: The mini van from Udon took me to Nong Khai, but not all the way to the border. Where do I go? Anything that takes me directly to Thai Immigration? If not, once I get near the bridge, is there a shuttle that takes me across? I heard it's a 20 baht shuttle ride but I am not sure. Please clarify! I promise to report back so people will know what's up!

Hello!

There are daily international buses between Udon and Morning Market in Vientiane,

I reckon. http://www.laos-guide-999.com/thailand-bus.html

If you're not in a hurry, you can also take the ordinary train leaving Udon at 11:44am and

arriving in Nong Khai at 12:25pm (40mins / 11B). You can then take a tuk-tuk or even walk

to the Thai border (about 1km). I would always walk. After going through Passport Control

on the Thai side, just hop on the shuttle bus across the bridge to the Lao side, as Ubon said.

darn just found some info on a wiki that they are asking 50 baht but it is all minivans. no buses from either Udon Thani station. hmmm

The locals bus was either 40 or 45 baht when I rode it eighteen months ago, I wasn't aware that it was discontinued. The problem is that it only goes to the bus station in downtown Nong Khai, then it will cost you a tuktuk fee to get to the border, so it's really not cost effective compared to the vans anyway.

Any bus or one of the vans that run between provinces would not go directly to the bridge. They would go to the bus station in Nong Khai.

The cost probably be less than 100 baht for them.

I see the vans at the bridge all the time, they are parked near the 7/11 where there is a sidewalk sign telling their rates and times. I asked one of the drivers and he said they run at thirty minute intervals. They look like the same vans that stop by the bus stop in front of the NongKhai Tesco to me, and that I also see at the Bus Station...same big letters on the side that say "Udon/NongKhai". They are 50 baht.

udon and nong kai have cross border buses but last time i asked they would NOT let you get on at all unless you have a pre-issued laos visa.

best 1. catch the LATE MORNING train plus walk to the bridge,

2. catch the local bus udon to lotus in nong kahi (about 40 baht from the udon central bus station) then walk from there. make sure you get off at lotus in nongkai not at the nongkai bus station. this bus is quite frequent say hourly from early in the morning. go ask the day before.

note: tuk-tuks in this region are notorious scam artist avoid as best you can.

on the other side catch the big green bus to vientien

coming back you can catch the cross border buses from morning market vientien.

there are threads on here with all the info already.

Edited by monkey dog

udon and nong kai have cross border buses but last time i asked they would NOT let you get on at all unless you have a pre-issued laos visa.

best 1. catch the LATE MORNING train plus walk to the bridge,

2. catch the local bus udon to lotus in nong kahi (about 40 baht from the udon central bus station) then walk from there. make sure you get off at lotus in nongkai not at the nongkai bus station. this bus is quite frequent say hourly from early in the morning. go ask the day before.

note: tuk-tuks in this region are notorious scam artist avoid as best you can.

on the other side catch the big green bus to vientien

coming back you can catch the cross border buses from morning market vientien.

there are threads on here with all the info already.

It would be good to clarify your statement, by saying " cross border buses" you are talking about the "International Buses" not the shuttle buses that cross the bridge. You are correct, they don't like to accept passengers who do not have visas because they would have to wait for extended periods at the border for those people to get their visas.

The shuttle buses pick you up just past immigration on each side of the bridge and only cross the bridge before turning around and coming back. There are International Buses which travel from Vientiane to NongKhai, Vientiane to Udon and now Vientiane to Nakhon Ratchasima. These buses are all Lao, but there is also a Thai International Bus between NongKhai and Vientiane. You can tell the difference between the Thai and Lao International by the wording on their sides, the Thai buses say "NongKhai/Vientiane" and the Lao Buses say "Vientiane/NongKhai". The doors are also on opposite sides.

• Like 2

Any bus or one of the vans that run between provinces would not go directly to the bridge. They would go to the bus station in Nong Khai.

I see the vans at the bridge all the time, they are parked near the 7/11 where there is a sidewalk sign telling their rates and times. I asked one of the drivers and he said they run at thirty minute intervals. They look like the same vans that stop by the bus stop in front of the NongKhai Tesco to me, and that I also see at the Bus Station...same big letters on the side that say "Udon/NongKhai". They are 50 baht.

Couldn't edit my post.... I just came back from the border. The vans there are 50 baht each and leave every hour from 8 am to 8 pm. They run between the Friendship Bridge and the downtown Udon Bus station.

thanks to everyone for helping me out about the buses/minivans.

The Plan:

Once I arrive in Udon Thani at 5 am, I will just look around for a minivan for 50 baht that will take me right up to the bridge (1 hour). From there, I stamp out of thailand and take a 15 baht shuttle across the bridge (3 minutes). Then I get my Lao visa and look for a green bus into downtown Vientiane for 40 baht (30 minutes). The green bus takes me to talat sao station which is just a 15 minutes away from consular embassy. Mission accomplished, open the champagne!

Walk to the riverfront and hit the sack at my hotel around noon! Wake up early early the next morning and walk to the consular embassy to be first in line at 8:30 am when it opens. receive my goods and begin my trek home.

Going back to Chiang Saen...take an international bus near Morning Market for about 100 baht that takes me back to Udon Thani from Vientiane. Find any bus that takes me back to chiang mai or Chiang rai for about 700 baht.

it's like I already went there and came back huh? All this is from what you guys gave me and I collected it into a plan and outline. What do you guys think? Thank you so much!

If there are no buses early early in the morning from Udon to Vientiane and I miss the 830am to 1130am consular embassy hours, then I will probably stay an extra day in Vientiane and just relax. Sounds like an awesome place.

Edited by yzak

I came back from Vientiane yesterday on the bus direct to Udon. My bus left at 11.30, had cleared immigration in Laos and Thailand by 1pm and was in Udon Thani at the bus station by 2pm. The cost was 22,000 Kip or 90 Baht. You should try to book early as they get full.

Sorry, I don't have Udon - Vientiane times but to Udon, the times are 8am, 9, 10.30, 11.30, 2pm, 3pm, 4.30 and 6pm.

This info is current as of 23/1/2015

Best of Luck :-)

• Like 1

Yea good post I have to do the same trip next month you've asked all the? I needed to know please let us know how you get on and where you stayed thanks

yeah dont worry I will. and I'm going to try it without tuk tuks and the biggest bang for buck path (speed and cost).

I came back from Vientiane yesterday on the bus direct to Udon. My bus left at 11.30, had cleared immigration in Laos and Thailand by 1pm and was in Udon Thani at the bus station by 2pm. The cost was 22,000 Kip or 90 Baht. You should try to book early as they get full.

Sorry, I don't have Udon - Vientiane times but to Udon, the times are 8am, 9, 10.30, 11.30, 2pm, 3pm, 4.30 and 6pm.

This info is current as of 23/1/2015

Best of Luck :-)

yeah as soon as I hand in my visa, I'm going to the bus station and buying a bus back to udon. but I have some questions.

1. Are these buses near the Talat Sao station/Morning Market?

2. This bus waits how long for foreigners to clear their immigration stuff?

3. How do these buses look? e.g. color, etc.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I really hate to contradict Ubon Joe (it's kind of sort of like blasphemy) but I have to report, I got a van from Central Udon last week to Nong Khai and requested he drop me at the Friendship bridge, he obliged. Whether or not that is something you can expect every time, I don't know, but it worked for me

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I really hate to contradict Ubon Joe (it's kind of sort of like blasphemy) but I have to report, I got a van from Central Udon last week to Nong Khai and requested he drop me at the Friendship bridge, he obliged. Whether or not that is something you can expect every time, I don't know, but it worked for me

both of you are right. you have to ask or they probably will take you somewhere else :P

You can get to Nong Khai from Udon either by bus or train, however neither go directly to the bridge so you would have to get a Tuk Tuk to complete

the journey.

There is a bus that goes all the way into Vientiane but you need to have a Loa Visa before the trip.

I believe the train line runs directly into Vientiane. I think its called Tha Laeng station.

I need to do this visa run soon. If I understand correctly. I can take a minibus from Udon Thani airport to the Thai border, cross the Thai Border. Apply for my Laos visa and then get Mini bus to Vientiane. Is there much distance between the Thai Border and Laos Immigration.

I need to do this visa run soon. If I understand correctly. I can take a minibus from Udon Thani airport to the Thai border, cross the Thai Border. Apply for my Laos visa and then get Mini bus to Vientiane. Is there much distance between the Thai Border and Laos Immigration.

You cross the bridge to Lao side of it. There is a shuttle bus that you have to take across the bridge. You pay for it and get on it after you clear Thai immigration.

• Like 1

just also to add ..........................

at both thai and Laos immigration control you will need arrivals/departure cards.

Hint : I usually get a few & keep them with passport at home so I have them and can fill them in before hand..............just need to add correct date when doing the run.

I have my non-immigrant "0" visa now so no more visa runs...............just 90 day reporting at local immigration office

• Like 1

Novo58 great post brilliant info I have to go next month I have a double entry visa witch I obtained in the u.k first 60 days up 6th of February so I persume I just go straight through immagration with no problems ,I m going to spend a couple of nights in Vientiane then return willi they give me another 60 days ?can you see any problems thanks