Looking for a cheap MTB

Want to go a bit more off road, mainly tracks and a few downhill runs.

Looking at the cheaper hardtails with front suspension, Merida Matts or Bianchi Duel.

Both RRP about 15k, both discounted locally to about 12.5K.

Are these gonna get me down the 'Gee's House' run from Doi Pui?

Which do you think?

Don't want to spend big money as it's only for occasional use.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

This question can only be answered with a resounding 'maybe. Although you can surely go down Gee's House trail on a hardtail, it requires good technique. You also need grippy tyres and good brakes. At that price point it may not be easy to find the minimum requirement equipment,. I'd go for the Merida Matts over the Bianchi because it has disk brakes.

Cheers, CM-Expat

• Like 1

I have no technique at all, but happy to ride down at walking pace.

I think you're right about the Merida, Shimano Alivio 9 speed groupset too.

Be very careful AOA. Slopes that don't look so steep when you're hiking, look VERY VERY different when you are on a hardtail mtb. I'm speaking from experience. My base level mtb just slides with brakes on if it's steep. And we're not talking about descents the downhillers do.....

• Like 1

Be very careful AOA. Slopes that don't look so steep when you're hiking, look VERY VERY different when you are on a hardtail mtb. I'm speaking from experience. My base level mtb just slides with brakes on if it's steep. And we're not talking about descents the downhillers do.....

I was coming down a small slope today, and struggled to keep the back wheel on the ground, even when stationary

I think you can ride down the lower part of Gee's House trail with that. The upper part is quite steep and it has plenty of roots, logs, drops, and steps.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Went to Cherry this morning, sold out of almost everything my size,

Merida Matts 40D ...... only in 16" (need 18")

Merida Matts 5D ........ had 18" but only in black.

Giant Talon ....... only in 14.5" (need 19")

New stock next month.

Try another shop.

Went to Cherry this morning, sold out of almost everything my size,

Merida Matts 40D ...... only in 16" (need 18")

Merida Matts 5D ........ had 18" but only in black.

Giant Talon ....... only in 14.5" (need 19")

New stock next month.

Try another shop.

Anyone else selling Merida in CM?

Chaitawat Bike Shop

75/4 Ratpakinai Road

T. Phra Sing A. Mueang Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai 50200

ร้านจักรยานชัยธวัช

75/4 ถนนราชภาคินัย

ตำบลพระสิงห์ อำเภอเมืองเชียงใหม่

จังหวัดเชียงใหม่ 50200

Tel. 053-279-890, 081-626-2590

N 18 47.063, E 98 59.427

Edited by rebo
  • Like 2

Didn't get to any of them, was cycling down to Chang Puak road from Mae Rim,

Just before the superhighway (next to KTB and opposite the Honda dealer)

Koowang Sing Bikes ...... selling Trek, Bianchi, Merida and some cheaper makes.

Quite a large shop, had the color, model and size I wanted, but still boxed.

Matched the cheapest internet price I could find, and the young guy speaks good English (if you need that).

I collected it a couple of hours later, seems to all work.

Went cross country from Chang Puak to MaeJo,

Fat tires and suspension are slower on the road (Chang Puak to Bar Koy market), but way faster on the gravel and mud tracks (Bar Koy market to MaeJo).

Now,

I need an adjustable stem ....... Merida Matts 40D has me crouching over the handlebars a bit too much.

And you can't just loosen the head hex nut and pull it up a bit like on our old bikes.

Grrr ...... always something more to buy!

Now,

I need an adjustable stem ....... Merida Matts 40D has me crouching over the handlebars a bit too much.

And you can't just loosen the head hex nut and pull it up a bit like on our old bikes.

How complicated is it on a modern bike? I looked in my manual, and it said "ask the dealer", so I haven't got round to it, but I've raised the saddle another inch or so, and I'm finding leaning that far down to the handlebars uncomfortable on my arms.

I could drop the saddle again, but I reckon I'm better keeping my legs more straight. Is that true?

SC

Now,

How complicated is it on a modern bike? I looked in my manual, and it said "ask the dealer", so I haven't got round to it, but I've raised the saddle another inch or so, and I'm finding leaning that far down to the handlebars uncomfortable on my arms.

I could drop the saddle again, but I reckon I'm better keeping my legs more straight. Is that true?

SC

Your leg should be fully extended when you sit on seat and put the heel of your foot on the pedal in it's lowest posn.

Cherry, Jacky and LA bikes have all sorts of extended and adjustable stems for sale from 150 bht up.

These are about 500bht

post-151798-0-35976100-1422350294_thumb.

Or just switch the standard flat bars out for a set of riser bars with a slight sweepback. I went with a RaceFace Atlas Riser bar with a 30mm rise and 8 degree sweepback to solve a similar issue, looks better than an adjustable stem as well ;)

Edited by moonoi

I picked up a Trek Series 390 MTB at Chaitawat a couple of weeks ago and have been quite happy with it... They had a few 57cm models in stock and I got to pick my color combination and not just take what they had in stock... It was in the 14K baht range... Nice people... It was 45 minutes from the time I walked in until I rode out with the bike, and they had to unbox it and do final assembly too...

One thing to keep in mind is that a standard MTB is not a true down-hill bike... Different suspension geometry and travel settings... Having said that, for occasional use a MTB will do fine unless you want to ride at 10/10ths...

• 2 weeks later...

Now,

SC

Your leg should be fully extended when you sit on seat and put the heel of your foot on the pedal in it's lowest posn.

Cherry, Jacky and LA bikes have all sorts of extended and adjustable stems for sale from 150 bht up.

These are about 500bht

attachicon.gifitruvelo.jpg

You wrote :

" Want to go a bit more off road, mainly tracks and a few downhill runs. "

and are looking for a cheap MTB ...

INCOMPATIBLE ...

And NEVER buy what I can see on the photo except you want to smash yourself ;

buy a rigid one .

I got the benefit of my suspension for the first time this weekend; a few kilometres of off-road dirt track looking for a short-cut.

I didn't find it, and I was grateful for a chance to slip through a farm back to the tarmac, where I could lock the suspension out again and get back on the big chain wheel.

I also found a lake and a live firing range (I think - I didn't put my head above the bund to confirm...) in the middle of the city,so quite an interesting afternoon...

SC