AirAsia abolishes fuel surcharge on all its airlines

webfact

AirAsia abolishes fuel surcharge on all its airlines
Business Desk
The Straits Times

SINGAPORE: -- Malaysia-based airline AirAsia, in a posting on Facebook, has said that it will be abolishing is fuel surcharge from Monday.

The move will be implemented across all of the group's carriers, including Indonesia AirAsia X.

Falling global oil prices was cited by its chief executive Tony Fernandes as the reason for the cut.

"We are a high-value, low-fare airline and we will continue to strive to make flying as affordable as possible," he said. "Removing fuel surcharge and reducing travel costs will be a huge boost to the tourism industry. This will be a plus point for consumers, but the economy will also benefit from this as the tourism industry is a great job creator."

Here is the full statement posted on the airline's Facebook page:

"AirAsia will be abolishing fuel surcharge effective Jan 26, 2015 across all of its airlines in the group, as well as its low-cost long haul affiliates AirAsia X, Thai AirAsia X and Indonesia AirAsia X, in line with declining global oil prices.

Full story: http://www.asianewsnet.net/news-70951.html

ann.jpg
-- ANN 2015-01-26

But you still need to pay almost 100 baht for using your credit card.

And that is not per-booking; but per person per flight sector.

60 baht for paying @ 7-11

Not possible from Australia ! Checked AA prices today and PER-BKK was only A$100 cheaper than Thai on the new 787 and there were 2 9 hour stop overs. One was overnight. There are loads of flights from KL to BKK but website wouldnt show them. They want you to go on the crappy flights. Have to be very careful and sometimes lucky to get good prices from AA. I think their best value is on Asian flights rather than International. Have got some very cheap flights in the past in Borneo and Sarawak.

• Like 1

I hate AA - After multiple scams on their website - adding the extras after you have entered all your details, extra this, extra that. you have to literally check everything isnt added on. Then when it comes to payment low and behold extra CC fees. Then if im lucky the website will actually process my payment, many times it doesnt and i have to start again.

After that i switched to Nokair - may as well support a Thai company if flying domestic anyway, the website works, no hidden extras, less stress!

• Like 2

AirAsia's fees and charges are not half as excessive and prohibitive as the charges of US Budget carriers (Spirit, Jetblue....) or their European cohorts (Ryanair, Easyjet).

But as for the "Fuel surcharge" --->>> FUEL surcharge disappears, at the same time those hidden charges will be added to the actual fare. Cebu Pacific did the same just a few weeks ago.

Don't expect any total net fares to be lower than before.....

• Like 1

AirAsia's fees and charges are not half as excessive and prohibitive as the charges of US Budget carriers (Spirit, Jetblue....) or their European cohorts (Ryanair, Easyjet).

Actually, JetBlue is probably the closest thing to a full-service domestic airline in the US, since they allow for 1 checked bag, 1 carry-on, free satellite TV, a complimentary drink, and a full-sized complimentary snack. Unfortunately, they are looking at charging for the checked bag, but they are still head and shoulders above every other airline.

The sad reality is that the 'legacy' carriers have become the most horrible, no-frills airlines around, making the 'low-cost' carriers look better in comparison. My recent experience with SAS helped further prove this trend across USA and the EU, they have managed to become just about as bad as Ryan Air in charging for carry-ons, light snacks, and seat assignments, in their misguided attempt to compete in a race to the bottom with Norwegian, a race they simply cannot win.

The real issue here is that we need transparent pricing regulations, that force airlines to completely disclose what it actually will cost to fly, rather than just promoting some obscenely low base airfare that gets you nothing but a seat and does not even include taxes or landing fees. I have flown dozens of airlines in the last decade, all over Europe, Asia, and North America, and Air Asia is nowhere near the bottom in pricing or service. They are my first choice when booking a short-haul regional flight to or from SE Asia, and Tony's response to the crash only reinforces my position.

Edited by RaoulDuke
  • Like 1

But you still need to pay almost 100 baht for using your credit card.

And that is not per-booking; but per person per flight sector.

60 baht for paying @ 7-11

Not possible from Australia ! Checked AA prices today and PER-BKK was only A$100 cheaper than Thai on the new 787 and there were 2 9 hour stop overs. One was overnight. There are loads of flights from KL to BKK but website wouldnt show them. They want you to go on the crappy flights. Have to be very careful and sometimes lucky to get good prices from AA. I think their best value is on Asian flights rather than International. Have got some very cheap flights in the past in Borneo and Sarawak.

AAX are only worthwhile if you book during one of their frequent sales. I got DMK - SYD for $266 all up later this year, including card fee, seat choice, two meals. But I've seen them asking $900 for the same route for the bare-bones fare.

They have a sale on atm actually - not much on offer from Perth, but u can get to KL for $169.

Booking Period
: 26 January 2015 - 1 February 2015
Travel Period
: 3 August 2015 - 26 March 2016

Edit: my mistake, you have to go right to the bottom of the AAX page to see the fly-thru specials.

http://www.airasia.com/au/en/promotion/rr0070803.page?ed_rid=VHG7UCF-QOPS3-C0163-JFBFU1-S8FXA-v1&ed_mid=511648

• Perth
  • Kuala Lumpur
  • Bangkok – Don Mueang

AU$ 239.00

Edited by moojar

A $3.00 charge on a $45 flight?! Horrific!!!!

They should just charge everybody $48.00 and we'd all think what a great deal it is.....

I didn't know airasia flies in the US too ? whistling.gif

by the way do you know they have now inland flights in Thailand for only 189 indian rupee !!

Edited by Incobart

As the owner of the Cherdchai Travel bus company countered with " Well we're going to reduce costs by removing the brakes from our buses. The driver's don't use them anyhow. Are we going to pass on the savings to our customers? 55555555555555555555555555555!"