Which is the best method for a Myanmar lady to acquire a visa to USA?

This lady is my fiancee. She has worked in Thailand for the past 10 years. 34yrs old. No former marriages or children. We are now in process of upgrading her current passport(work permit only) to a 10 country SE Asia passport. However, this passport does not permit travel to USA. So we must determine the most practical, efficient and time saving process for her travel to USA by June of this year. Is this even possible? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Mac, I am a USA resident. The 10 country passport is issued by the Country of Myanmar. She will soon recieve this upgraded passort possibly by the middle of February. This is the regular Burmese passport. My understanding is that special conditions have to be met to acquire a passport to enable her for travel to USA. I have to return to USA by last week of June and of course want her to accompany me. I am told a marriage of a Myanmar lady to a foreigner is very complicated i.e. extensive interviews, notarized statments of previous marriage (mine), possibly very expensive and time consuming (6 to 12 months) for approval.

I am leaving for Myanmar Jan 31 for a month. Then returning to Chaing Mai. At that time, I will go the US Embassy and try to further educate myself on the requirements. Government of Myanmar makes the process of a single lady tourist visa equally complicated though this may result in less costs, paperwork and saved time. We will find out one way or the other. Thanks for any input.

mfosterc

Indeed, lots of problems and I really don't think she'll make it to the U.S. by June this year.

I note the "no travel to US" passport restriction by the government. At some point this will have to be changed, obviously. You should look into the process of doing so. Is this restriction stamped into the passport, sort of making it invalid for U.S. travel?

Where is your GF now? Thailand? Myanmar?

If not married you have an option to file for a Fiancee visa when you get back to the U.S. In general, this is not a particularly speedy process. I have a friend who file for such a visa in May 2014, it was just approved earlier this month, but the approval documents have yet to arrive at the Consular Section here in Bangkok.

Take a look at www.visajourney.com and check out their guide for the K1 visa.

Perhaps an alternative route could be getting married here in Thailand, then filing for an Immigrant visa when you get back to the U.S. That'd be for a CR-1 visa.

The U.S. Embassy here has a www page on local marriages:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/marriage.html

For you, not a problem to get the "free to marry" affidavit. But, could be a problem for your fiancee to get a similar document from the Myanmar Embassy here. These documents are pretty much required by the Thai district office where you plan to register the marriage.

Then, if this alternative actually works, there's still the problem of her restricted passport. I have no experience with such.

Again, look at www.visajourney.com and do a search for: adjustment of status

Lastly, a tourist visa would not be a good plan if the intent is to get married when she gets to the U.S., then to apply for Adjustment of Status to a PRA, Permanent Resident Alien, Green card holder. The interview with U.S. Immigration for this can be tough and if it's determined that this was the plan from the get-go, then she may well be denied.

Mac

• 4 weeks later...

She will soon recieve this upgraded passort possibly by the middle of February. This is the regular Burmese passport

Sorry for saying, but that is Bulls**t, all she needs to do is show her national ID card at office in Yangon along with a family list and passport will be ready in around 2-3 weeks. Not very expencive either to do it.