What if a patient can't paid the bill.

rayongchelsea

I am a 58 year old Brit & would welcome any advice on accident/emergency treatment insurance.

I like many who chose to live here don't require doctors/hospitals often.

been hit a couple of times on the motorbike and healed

got sick a couple of times and wife/local pharmacy got me through it.

I would be happy to have some cover and would be willing to pay a reasonable rate.

Long term problems would "Run for home" where the NHS albeit grudgingly would sort me out..

"Thai life Insurance is the best, 1500.00" this I cannot find?

I was taken into ICU in Australia and spent 3 weeks in hospital, The bill was B1million baht. The B96,000/year BUPA B5million coverage (if I had taken it out) would only cover me for B86,000 of my B1million treatment costs, as they have a limit of B16,000 by day for ICU whereas the cost was B160,000/day. The Australian Hospital tried to get the UK NHS to pay against my health insurance under the reciprocal agreement but the NHS refused to pay as I have been out of the country for some time. They do insist that you pay the bill but will give you years to pay if you need to, without interest. In my case I self insure and I keep B1million in an easy access mutual fund and/or equities earning at least 20% per annum at least in appreciation and interest to cover medical bills, so I was able to settle my B1million hospital bill by international transfer from my bank to theirs.

If you live here and take out medical insurance check the small print and make sure that you are covered in full for the potential costs of expensive treatments such as I.C.U. and not in reality 10% of the costs. If you do not have the money to cover potentially high medical bills, it is time to consider going home.

my thai friend's dad - a wealthy man but who dresses down and looks poor - was knocked down. the first two rescue vehicles refused to take him to hospital, apparently because he looked poor! fortunately the third did take him. (thainess?!)

one way they try to avoid non-payment, at hospital; non- treatment!

The moral of the story is to always wear a three piece suit.

Fortunately my last incident was covered by my insurance, an accident.

But I always dread something in the 'exclusions' category!

And elderly friends are unable to get cover they can afford........

A hospital in my area accepted someone and operated without any guarantee........ but when it came time to be discharged, passports had to be left as security. They were returned when the patient was able to borrow money to pay off the bill.

In Thailand if you are over 60 years old you can't buy health insurance. I have been here in business for 31 years. When the Social Security Program came into effect in1998, I was already 60 years old and could not join. I had private insurance with Pacific International in Hong Kong which is a good policy however every 5 years they raise the policy. When I became 76 years old the cost was prohibitive.

So far as a permanent resident of Thailand I have been able to get treated free as a hospital in patient in government hospitals.

I believe that the current Minister of Public Health will be able to reform the free medical program. The hospitals are rampant with corruption as they get about 2600 Baht per patient head and have little or no responsibility for quality of treatment. The more heads, the more money. Currently the old guard is stonewalling the new minister. Sooner or later he is going to prevail.

In Thailand if you are over 60 years old you can't buy health insurance. I have been here in business for 31 years. When the Social Security Program came into effect in1998, I was already 60 years old and could not join. I had private insurance with Pacific International in Hong Kong which is a good policy however every 5 years they raise the policy. When I became 76 years old the cost was prohibitive.

So far as a permanent resident of Thailand I have been able to get treated free as a hospital in patient in government hospitals.

I believe that the current Minister of Public Health will be able to reform the free medical program. The hospitals are rampant with corruption as they get about 2600 Baht per patient head and have little or no responsibility for quality of treatment. The more heads, the more money. Currently the old guard is stonewalling the new minister. Sooner or later he is going to prevail.

Yes you can, but the premiums are high which is understandable, but this is a big step from saying you can't get it

I am a 58 year old Brit & would welcome any advice on accident/emergency treatment insurance.

I like many who chose to live here don't require doctors/hospitals often.

been hit a couple of times on the motorbike and healed

got sick a couple of times and wife/local pharmacy got me through it.

I would be happy to have some cover and would be willing to pay a reasonable rate.

Long term problems would "Run for home" where the NHS albeit grudgingly would sort me out..

"Thai life Insurance is the best, 1500.00" this I cannot find?

AIA will get you one if under 70 starting $1000/year. Not a nice coverage like others, but will work for minor problems..or getting you in a better shape to going back to your country to use its free health program if exist. That is my intention..no to get into nothing BIG here. I am healthy...but...who knows? Also AIA will pay 100,000 THB to my wife if a die, for her to trow a nice party for few friends.

Edited by umbanda
  • Like 1

I was taken into ICU in Australia and spent 3 weeks in hospital, The bill was B1million baht. The B96,000/year BUPA B5million coverage (if I had taken it out) would only cover me for B86,000 of my B1million treatment costs, as they have a limit of B16,000 by day for ICU whereas the cost was B160,000/day. The Australian Hospital tried to get the UK NHS to pay against my health insurance under the reciprocal agreement but the NHS refused to pay as I have been out of the country for some time. They do insist that you pay the bill but will give you years to pay if you need to, without interest. In my case I self insure and I keep B1million in an easy access mutual fund and/or equities earning at least 20% per annum at least in appreciation and interest to cover medical bills, so I was able to settle my B1million hospital bill by international transfer from my bank to theirs.

If you live here and take out medical insurance check the small print and make sure that you are covered in full for the potential costs of expensive treatments such as I.C.U. and not in reality 10% of the costs. If you do not have the money to cover potentially high medical bills, it is time to consider going home.

You've lost me ! your talking about a hospital bill in Australia and relating it too a Health insurance policy taken out in Thailand facepalm.gif most people would take out a Policy in Thailand that is appropriate to the costs in Thailand not one that is appropriate to Australia where the hospital fee's are a lot higher.

Therefore, I would imagine Health insurance costs in Australia are a lot higher than in Thailand

And on another point your not insuring yourself, you were just using a lump of money that you had set aside for any eventuality ! if you were insured you could make numerous claims, each one being to your maximum coverage ! with so called self -insuring there's a chance that you could use up your lump sum on one incident, obviously depending on how much money you have set aside.

Edited by alfieconn
  • Like 2

Has anyone contacted the patient's Embassy to see if they can help to make contact with more distant friends and family in Australia who could help? Also -- if the patient is a veteran or retired police or firefighter, etc, he may be eligible for assistance. Someone at the Embassy could put the local family/friends in touch with the right people who could possibly help.

The sooner the patient is transferred to a good public hospital that can offer appropriate care, the better. The bill should be substantially lower. It's possible that the same doctor providing care at the private hospital also practices at a public hospital. Just ask. As to the question of whether the appropriate private hospital will require a deposit -- again just ask the social worker dept at the public hospital. It's doubtful they will, but they will expect the bill to be paid.

If the patient is receiving a monthly pension, then it's expected that he can sign a contract and make regular payments towards his hospital bills.

Edited by NancyL

did not read your post correctly, public hospidal will not take therefore he is really sick, we had uk man 45 same, died quickly, good luck , back to aus only option, money talks here

If the guy is in ICU in Thailand he will not be getting on a plane anytime soon at the cost of the Aussie tax payers

If you know anything about ICU, in Thailand particularly Pattaya like BPH, there are two units, the most expensive one is where like on T.V. etc.. in the west you are like on death bed that cost runs around 25-30,000 baht a day with someone watching you every minute and you are hook up to all types of sensor etc..

Then there is another ICU, that basically has minimum watching instead of you being in a room by yourself and the nurses waiting for you to push the button you are in a large room with individual rooms with window. The number of nurses watching is not as extensive and cost is around 15,000 baht. I had a friend in one after moved from the main ICU, he could get up and go to the bathroom himself just needed more attention.

Of course he isn't going to get on a airplane and never indicated a person can do so from ICU,, read it again...if a person is in ICU, even after he will need lots of outpatient rehab which is expensive too, which in this ops case isn't even able to pay the current charges. What I was recommending was once he is dis-charged if available and has a National health care return home! I know a British expat who did just that!

Edited by thailand49

Need to know the name and phone number of Thai companies that will issue a new health policy for one over 65 years old. Also, has anyone over 65 bought a new policy in Thailand?

I was over 60 when I took out a health policy with BUPA in Hua Hin.

Since then I have had an OP for rectal cancer which the insurance paid up to the limit of the policy.

Now 9 years later I still have that policy which I have changed to in patient only as I had regular out patient treatment for bladder cysts and did not want to claim anyway.

Cost at present is about the same as before 36,000 B per year, I have had a no claim bonus paid back to me for the past 3 years of about 1600 B per year.

I am still way on the winning side for they have paid out far more than I have paid them..

Need to know the name and phone number of Thai companies that will issue a new health policy for one over 65 years old. Also, has anyone over 65 bought a new policy in Thailand?

Since then I have had an OP for rectal cancer which the insurance paid up to the limit of the policy.

Now 9 years later I still have that policy which I have changed to in patient only as I had regular out patient treatment for bladder cysts and did not want to claim anyway.

Cost at present is about the same as before 36,000 B per year, I have had a no claim bonus paid back to me for the past 3 years of about 1600 B per year.

I am still way on the winning side for they have paid out far more than I have paid them..

That's why I don't understand when Estrada ses If you live here and take out medical insurance check the small print and make sure that you are covered in full for the potential costs of expensive treatments such as I.C.U. and not in reality 10% of the costs

I am not 100% sure, but I believe if an Aussie citizen goes back to Australia to access the Medicare Health System,

They are barred from leaving for two years, which is different to the UK system where one can return immediately when fit to travel.

Can anyone tell me if this is right or wrong. Thanks

I don't know of any Thai based companies and there are other reasons as well why older people in particular would do well not to get Thai-based insurance.

theer are however many international policies for expats that will allow olde rpeople to enrol. Cigna i one, butt there are more. Best to consult a broker -- google "expat insurance + broker".

Be sure to specify that you want a policy with direct billing arrangements with Thai hospitals as otherwse you have to front the money.

That's why I don't understand when Estrada ses If you live here and take out medical insurance check the small print and make sure that you are covered in full for the potential costs of expensive treatments such as I.C.U. and not in reality 10% of the costs

There are some dodgy policies out there, especially ones sold by banks/life insurance companies as as opposed to health insurance providers. Should always check the fine print on any health insurance policy before enrolling.