Comparison With Singapore..

ChrisP

Interesting comparisons between BKK's restricting and SG's expanding nightlife...! :o

The Straits Times: Sat Aug 19.

"LIVELY CITY MEANS MORE TOURISTS AND JOBS:

WHOLSEOME AND ORDERLY PLACE NO LONGER GOOD ENOUGH FOR A NEW S'PORE" Lee Kuan Yew

"The Singapore that we had - very orderly, very wholesome, very clean - is not good enough." Singapore must aim to inject more fun and buzz and create a lively night scene that can make it the "Paris of SE Asia" Mr Lee was encouraged by what he saw at Clark Quay during a recent visit. "People wine, dine and drink till four or five in the morning at the weekends". Tourists nowadays enjoy entertainment such as the topless cabaret show Crazy Horse and the popular nightspot, Ministry of Sound. "So we must have more of these" he said.

Ok, just to clarify this, there is no way that Bangkok could be compared to Singapore. Bangkok is 100 years away from Singapore. The people...maybe 200 years.

This is an unfortunate but true statement. Okay, i haven't been around that long but i know this.

In the last twenty years I can see what sort of progress has been made between the 2 countries. Thailand, whilst has the potential to be a much better run city, has too many people in high places looking out for their needs. It'll be a lie to say there's no coprruption in Singapore but at least the local people there are looked after. Here in Thailand, how many people own their own homes?

There's many more examples and we can go on and on about the differences but I won't.

One thing that I'm really angry about is how the lifeline of this beautiful country is exploited. The people who work alot harder than most of us, but are terribly in debt because of various reasons.

Personally, I think that Thailand could do with someone like senior minister Lee. This country needs a leader who gives back to the people and has the b@lls to change things. Unfortunately, it'll be an almost impossible uphill battle the way I see it.

I guess I'm slightly of course in this thread. Just typing what I'm feeling at the moment...

Ok, just to clarify this, there is no way that Bangkok could be compared to Singapore. Bangkok is 100 years away from Singapore. The people...maybe 200 years.

This is an unfortunate but true statement. Okay, i haven't been around that long but i know this.

In the last twenty years I can see what sort of progress has been made between the 2 countries. Thailand, whilst has the potential to be a much better run city, has too many people in high places looking out for their needs. It'll be a lie to say there's no coprruption in Singapore but at least the local people there are looked after. Here in Thailand, how many people own their own homes?

There's many more examples and we can go on and on about the differences but I won't.

One thing that I'm really angry about is how the lifeline of this beautiful country is exploited. The people who work alot harder than most of us, but are terribly in debt because of various reasons.

Personally, I think that Thailand could do with someone like senior minister Lee. This country needs a leader who gives back to the people and has the b@lls to change things. Unfortunately, it'll be an almost impossible uphill battle the way I see it.

I guess I'm slightly of course in this thread. Just typing what I'm feeling at the moment...

I have to agree here.At least "Harry" Yew can see what is needed, even if it is an about-face.

Imagine what the country would be like if there was little or no corruption and no rubbish everywhere......

Edited by chuchok

Yes and no free speech,and anyone trying to would be sent to the secret place on the hill at Mandai and never hears of again

I think both of you have a point there. I lived 6 month in each of the countries but I personally would always prefer Thailand to move there again.

All aspects have been discussed endlessly but I think you can not compare the countries at all. Certainly there is room for improvement in Thailand in terms of governmental involvement to realy push the state forward, but the SG version got a lot of disadvantages as well. Over there they "slightly" overdo it but offer of course a convenient live (if you can affort it), but only if you comply with the rules and live a unpolitical life where your main concern is what to buy next and where.

If you take a look behind the curtain and find a Singaporian who is really telling you what he thinks about the system he is forced into, you start to think twice about all the praised advantages of SG.

For me it simply is a matter of happiness. People in Thailand might generally be considered poorer, but my impression was and is that still they are happier. And please don't get me started about the respective attitutes.

There's a good reason for calling Thailand LOS...

:o

KY

Edited by Khun Yak

Singapore is the living example that a benevolent dictatorship is the best form of government. At the same time, Singapore is one of the few places it could work. It is a very small country, what 3 million people in 7 square miles? In addition, most of the people were recent (within 100 year or less) arrivals and already living in an urban area (missing the urban migration and its affect on rural areas that causes most developing countries so many problems), a population already used to government rule they had no say in, and finally a population highly focused on business and making money (The Chinese syndrome, if you will). They also had a leadership that had the power and the will to make hard, difficult decisions and did not have to worry about a popular backlash. They truly had the long-term good of the country at heart.

This system would be impossible to implement any just about any other country. Hence, any comparisons between Thailand and Singapore are irrelevant

TH

Edited by thaihome

Singapore is the living example that a benevolent dictatorship is the best form of government. At the same time, Singapore is one of the few places it could work. It is a very small country, what 3 million people in 7 square miles? In addition, most of the people were recent (within 100 year or less) arrivals and already living in an urban area (missing the urban migration and its affect on rural areas that causes most developing countries so many problems), a population already used to government rule they had no say in, and finally a population highly focused on business and making money (The Chinese syndrome, if you will). They also had a leadership that had the power and the will to make hard, difficult decisions and did not have to worry about a popular backlash. They truly had the long-term good of the country at heart.

This system would be impossible to implement any just about any other country. Hence, any comparisons between Thailand and Singapore are irrelevant

TH

Thaihome, while your facts and figures are a bit off, (area is 266 sq. miles (638 sq. km) and the population is pushing 4.5 million); you have hit on some very good points.

SG is a city/state while Thailand is a country which influences the parallels between the 2. A 'benevolent dictatorship' is much easier to set up and maintain in a city than in a country.

Having said that, a similar system of government has been in place in Malaysia for decades and is very lucrative for those in power.

As state earlier by others, one of the more obvious differences is the fact that SG has leadership that realizes it is better to pump the wealth back into the economy and thus creating growth. Then by monopolizing the building of infrastructure as well as it's long term maintenance, the wealth growth is exponential, the same goes for the creation of major industries and businesses.

Control the cash flow and you control the wealth, just remember to keep the peasants content.

• 2 weeks later...

TH

Thaihome, while your facts and figures are a bit off, (area is 266 sq. miles (638 sq. km) and the population is pushing 4.5 million); you have hit on some very good points.

SG is a city/state while Thailand is a country which influences the parallels between the 2. A 'benevolent dictatorship' is much easier to set up and maintain in a city than in a country.

Having said that, a similar system of government has been in place in Malaysia for decades and is very lucrative for those in power.

As state earlier by others, one of the more obvious differences is the fact that SG has leadership that realizes it is better to pump the wealth back into the economy and thus creating growth. Then by monopolizing the building of infrastructure as well as it's long term maintenance, the wealth growth is exponential, the same goes for the creation of major industries and businesses.

Control the cash flow and you control the wealth, just remember to keep the peasants content.

So, a nice case study would be Phuket. Thaksin has expressed desires of developing Phuket island - into a Thai model of Singapore. Could it work? Give it 50 years I suppose. A good start would be a decent public transport system and ousting the tuk-tuk "mafia".... :o

Diversity Rules!

Stop trying to turn my fun chaotic home into a model of efficiency!

If Singapore is your cup of tea, I suggest relocating. I be here with my Tom Yum, frosty cold bia sing, and my soi dogs!

Well said my friend!

God forbid, LOS should ever become another Singapore.

One 'Asia lite' is quite enough! :o

Also, viewing your avatar brings back pleasant memories of a recent holiday in Amsterdam.

Yearning for Bangkok to become Singapore is like yearning for Amsterdam to become Brussels!

Edited by somchai jones