Does US landline phone, with voice mail, work in Thailand?

tjansen

I want a land line phone with voice mail. One way I thought of is to get a land line phone when I visit the US and bring it back here. Does anyone know whether that phone will work in Thailand?

Maybe there is a land line phone with voice mail available in Thailand. Anyone know of one with the voice mail on the phone itself?

As an aside, I am less and less able to navigate this forum. Now when I go to thaivisa.com, I get a page of ads with no options to proceed to the forums. It must be there. I am just not astute enough to find it.

Thanks for any help on the phone issue.

Tom

If you are talking about a telephone with an answering machine built in (either digital or analog) it will work in Thailand so long as it operates at 220 Volts. Most come with a "wall wart" which drops the voltage down so a 220 V one would suit your needs

In the US you can have voice mail added to your phone service plan which would be handled by the telephone company in their central office and a blinking light would notify you that you had a message

It might, power wise it probably will if it requires 220 volts. However it might not work as efficiently depending on the transmission design limits between where you bought it and here in Thailand. The overall loss between phones anywhere in the world is 32 dB. e.g. USA and UK or USA and Australia etc (32 dB is an international standard) and between local exchange services The loss between the terminal exchange and the surrounding area it services can vary. In some countries that loss can be 8 dB and in others 8.5db. In many areas here the loss is much worse due to the local line quality. Maintenance and design of networks in Asia leaves a lot to be desired. But as one of the replies suggested buy a phone here. You can always take it back if you're dissatisfied.

Edited by PlastikbinLina

Just get a Skype account and setup a US telephone number... You get voice mail, SMS and video phone... Works on a mobile telephone or a PC / Mac... On a mobile, you can have your Thai sim in the phone and still receive / make US phone calls via Skype... It costs something like $24 USD per year for a US telephone number...

• Like 1