Can foreign kid born in Thailand get PR?

My daughter was born in Thailand in 2009, since I was working for INGO and her father was studying here too. We three are non-Thai. In her birth certificate stated that "not Thailand citizen". Since then, we have been back to our homeland for several times, using her non-Thai passport. Now she is studying in government school, K1. I used to apply dependent visa for her under my working visa, but it seems not stable. I would like her to keep studying here, so:

1. Can I apply PR for her as she should have the right to study here?

2. If yes, what document should I prepare for her and what other specific condition?

3. If no, what benefit she should have if she was born here and studying here?

Could you please advise.

Thanks.

Van.

There is no special benefits for a child born to foreign parents here.

There is no provision for getting permanent residence for being born here.

If your child is attending school they can an get extension of stay for attending school.

"Only children born prior to March 1992 to two foreign parents have access to Thai citizenship and only if they show an ongoing link to Thailand. "

Thanks for the infor, I am not intending to apply citizenship for her, I was only concerning on applying PR.

"ubonjoe

Posted Today, 10:51

There is no special benefits for a child born to foreign parents here.

There is no provision for getting permanent residence for being born here.

If your child is attending school they can an get extension of stay for attending school."

Could you please let me know how to get the extension of stay for attending school? As far as my poor knowledge, the ED visa is applied for children over 14 year old, am I righ?

You are wrong, there is no age minimum for an ED-visa, although normally kindergarten etc is not allowed. Elementary school is fine and many children of members are staying in Thailand for that reason, with one of their parents as a dependent.

• Like 1

Only children born prior to March 1992 to two foreign parents have access to Thai citizenship and only if they show an ongoing link to Thailand.

This is what I'd heard too. One of my friends is amongst the very last foreign-foreign children born in Thailand who has gained full citizenship.

Only children born prior to March 1992 to two foreign parents have access to Thai citizenship and only if they show an ongoing link to Thailand.

This is what I'd heard too. One of my friends is amongst the very last foreign-foreign children born in Thailand who has gained full citizenship.

I believe if both parents have PR, then their child born in Thailand has Thai citizenship (not that this helps the OP).

I believe if both parents have PR, then their child born in Thailand has Thai citizenship (not that this helps the OP).

Can't confirm but you could be right. Both parents of this lad are non-immi 'B' (30+ years).

Non-immigrant visa B and extensions based on it does not equate PR (Permanent Residence). When gaining PR, a foreigners visa status is changed from non-immigrant to immigrant and he gets the PR book plus a second book.

I understand that. My example was of a man who got his from 2 non-PR parents because he was before the cut-off date. It would seem that the OP is in the same boat as us but this extra piece of information about 2 PR parents being able to gain Thai citizenship for their child might help somebody.

Thanks for the discussion, but please note that we both parrent dont have PR in Thailand, we had working visa and Edu visa only.

I read somewhere that if the kid is below 40, there is no problem at the airport for over stayed. am I right? Hic. I know all are "I heard" but I believe they have clue to say that. Pls help to clarify.

Thanks for the discussion, but please note that we both parrent dont have PR in Thailand, we had working visa and Edu visa only.

I read somewhere that if the kid is below 40, there is no problem at the airport for over stayed. am I right? Hic. I know all are "I heard" but I believe they have clue to say that. Pls help to clarify.

Children under 15 do not pay an overstay fine but still get overstay stamps.

Not sure what the 40 year old thing is about.

Would of be enlightening to understand what on earth PR stands for- think there was a thread about confusing abbreviations not so long ago?

You must have missed my post where I spelt it out a few posts back: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/795795-can-foreign-kid-born-in-thailand-get-pr/#entry9003395: Permanent Residence. Of course, the considerate thing for the OP to do would have been to mention it in his opening post, but already the second reply in the topic made it clear.

"Children under 15 do not pay an overstay fine but still get overstay stamps."

Could you pls explain what is the disadvantage of getting overstay stamps in children's passport?

Perhaps there would be no foreseeable disadvantage but it does mean the were staying in the country illegally.

Just because they do not have to pay an overstay fine does not mean it is legal for them to stay in the country without a valid visa or extension of stay.