Safe sex campaign in Bangkok schools draws doubts of success

webfact

Safe sex campaign in schools draws doubts of success

logobma1-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The idea of a Bangkok deputy governor to install condom vending machine in city-run secondary schools and city offices draws opposition with doubts of whether this will really work.

The opposition came from the city’s public health division, according to the National News Bureau of Thailand (NNT).

NNT said the idea for the installation of condom vending machines in secondary schools, district and other city offices run by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) was raised by the deputy Bangkok governor Pusadee Tamtai at a meeting of the city’s 2015 Aids, TB and STIs Control Division (ATSCD) committee this week.

She reasoned her idea was aimed at easing the rate of AIDs infection in the capital.

She disclosed that city figures revealed more than half of AIDs-infected patients last year were teenagers aged under 25.

City’s records show 61,600 people in the capital have infected with AIDs, of whom 3,302 died last year.

It also says 24,762 have been treated with AIDs aniti-viral drugs and 1,824 were new patients. Homosexuals made up 1,071 of the new patients.

The figures also found the rise in AIDs infections had resulted from a lack of condom use.

The meeting said a campaign would be needed to educate the public that the vending machines are designed to promote safer sex.

Some school heads are keen on the idea, but the head of City Hall’s public health division says it is unlikely to be practical, NNT stated.

Linda Woharndee, director of Prachaniwet School, said the plan would help deal with the rising number of infections.

She said parents should understand that many young people have sex. “What they need is access to safe sex,” she said.

But Piyathida Smutraprapoot, the head of City Hall’s ATSCD, which deals with public health issues, said many parents and teachers still oppose the idea for fear it would encourage children to have sex at an early age.

Sompong Jitradup, a lecturer at Chulalongkorn University’s faculty of education, said the condom-vending machines could help provide access to safe sex.

He also gave an example of the condom-vending machines being installed at schools in Sa Kaeo province which he said brought down the high rate of unwanted pregnancies, NNT concluded.

Source: NNT

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-29

deputy Bangkok governor Pusadee Tamtai disclosed "that city figures revealed more than half of AIDs-infected patients last year were teenagers aged under 25."

Someone should tell the good lady, that one ceases to be a teenager when one becomes 20! What cretins the governmment employs, and with huge salaries to boot!

deputy Bangkok governor Pusadee Tamtai disclosed "that city figures revealed more than half of AIDs-infected patients last year were teenagers aged under 25."

Someone should tell the good lady, that one ceases to be a teenager when one becomes 20! What cretins the governmment employs, and with huge salaries to boot!

ROTF LMAO I missed that part!

Khan Piyathida, head of the office equipment that is supposed to care for health and prevent infections should be immediately dismissed. Her way of thinking does not match at all to her position and responsibility. She seems to have no clue. Her resistance to protection under the excuse of sex encourage by at a younger age is pure murder. She is co-responsible for the high number of STD and HIV AIDS infections.

Come on miss, instead of thinking you know it all, please read international studies of successful health campaigns!

• Like 1

If it stops ONE HIV infection or ONE Unwanted Pregnancy, it is worth any cost incurred.

A little Education would also go a long way in reducing the incidences of infection and pregnancies.

But I won't hold my breath on that issue.

• Like 1

If it stops ONE HIV infection or ONE Unwanted Pregnancy, it is worth any cost incurred.

A little Education would also go a long way in reducing the incidences of infection and pregnancies.

But I won't hold my breath on that issue.

What's missing is the in-class instructions what to do with the condom when you have bought is - at a vending-machine, at 7-eleven, or at the pharmacy.

The head of design-and-technology at my first teaching post in UK, turned a couple of wood 'penis replicas' one for the boys' sex-ed teacher and one for the girls and these helped relieve some of the embarrassment for the gender-segregated sex-ed classes.

Since many schools in Thailand decline to even begin to teach sex-ed. I suppose such replicas would be a total waste of timber.

...unless she was referring to the intellectual and mental state of most in this group (teen pregnancy - shooting rival students etc.)

I have lost count of the amount of times, after giving a lady oral, that she pulls my head up, grabs my thing ans tries to put it in. I can say 90% of the time I reach successfully for the condom........... I just passed a HIV test for my visa etc........... Don't mind admitting I was sweating a bit.

The condoms in the school might be a good idea........... I just feel the culture here encourages people to engage in activities which are pleasurable and worry about stuff later...... Or simply don't worry at all

Maybe both the person who wrote this screed and the person who introduced the topic of having condoms at schools should return to school in order to update their mathematics. Last time I checked the following comment could do with a slight adjustment. "City’s records show 61,600 people in the capital have infected with AIDs, of whom 3,302 died last year." If there are 61,600 people with AIDs but 3,302 died then how can there still be 61,600 infected people? Just curious as the article suggests a comparison with past and future which do not compute properly. Bit of a problem with the grammatical structure as well, which is nothing unusual.