Hits and misses, your bike on the ground

Rhys

I have ridden in some truly crazy places in my time - Albania, Dominican Republic - but here in Thailand I still marvel at the trick of me riding down the middle of the right lane at what I conisder a safe speed like maybe 110 k/h when a full size car will fly past me on my right using every inch of any berm. Some times it seems like I get only a few inches to spare. If they don't fly up behind me at high speed and I get a chance to see them coming or if they would just beep their horn, I would gladly move over.

Motorcycle safety isn't only about Thailand. On an Italian freeway south of Naples two smart ass guys in full leathers once flew past me on their motorcycles on both sides like I was standing still. That would not have been worth mentioning except that I was going at about 150 k/h myself on my 1100 cc BMW. Yikes!

Since most of my riding is on the Thai highways between cities I would really like to see real motorcycles, but maybe not scooters, be allowed to use toll roads. What can we do about that discrimination? Getting in and out of Bangkok (rt 9) would be so much easier if all roads were available to real motorcycles.

If you consider that riding at 110 kph is a" safe speed " [whatever that means]...that's up to you..you should stay in your own comfort zone and enjoy your ride. However to be doing that speed in the situation you describe here is totally crazy....You are asking for trouble, in more ways than you could cope with...Also, if ,you blissfully putting along at that 'considered' safe speed are not able to keep a vigilant rear view lookout, maybe you should seriously consider not staying in that lane ...

Edited by andreandre
  • Like 1

Took out in Patong about a year ago by a Radar Guided Yellow Peril Ting Tong Tuk Tuk, he shot out of a side soi and his front bumper caught my nearside rear wheel, bike was totally unmarked after sliding up the road, I had jeans and shoes on, helmet and long sleeved shirt, face and wrist most damage where my watch had impacted on my skin just before it went TWANG?, and my side hurt like hell... that would be the 4 fractured ribs then; always wear my gloves now no matter how short the run. I was very lucky the Nutter didn't run me clean over... amazingly a traffic cop appeared as if by magic.... Mmm? L O S lol

First one was as daveboo described, front end broke loose, I was way to hard on the front brake.

Yeah second was at Bira, tried to keep up with someone with a higher skill level,lol. Crashed on the fast right hander at the bottom of the hill and the bike went over the wall, lol.

Can't wait to get another bike, depressing going to trackdays to watch. Hopefully get my 899 within the next couple of months.

• Like 1

First one was as daveboo described, front end broke loose, I was way to hard on the front brake.

Yeah second was at Bira, tried to keep up with someone with a higher skill level,lol. Crashed on the fast right hander at the bottom of the hill and the bike went over the wall, lol.

Can't wait to get another bike, depressing going to trackdays to watch. Hopefully get my 899 within the next couple of months.

As you wrecked your 2 previous bikes are you sure to go for an 899? Will be a bit more expensive...

I have ridden in some truly crazy places in my time - Albania, Dominican Republic - but here in Thailand I still marvel at the trick of me riding down the middle of the right lane at what I conisder a safe speed like maybe 110 k/h when a full size car will fly past me on my right using every inch of any berm. Some times it seems like I get only a few inches to spare. If they don't fly up behind me at high speed and I get a chance to see them coming or if they would just beep their horn, I would gladly move over.

Motorcycle safety isn't only about Thailand. On an Italian freeway south of Naples two smart ass guys in full leathers once flew past me on their motorcycles on both sides like I was standing still. That would not have been worth mentioning except that I was going at about 150 k/h myself on my 1100 cc BMW. Yikes!

Since most of my riding is on the Thai highways between cities I would really like to see real motorcycles, but maybe not scooters, be allowed to use toll roads. What can we do about that discrimination? Getting in and out of Bangkok (rt 9) would be so much easier if all roads were available to real motorcycles.

Once in central Florida, I was riding at 90mph--about 145kph--on an infrequently traveled North-South phosphate country highway when an empty semi-tractor and flatbed trailer passed me as if I was standing still. The wind gusts alone almost drove me from the road. He too used no horn and I was completely surprised when he passed. However, I had a word with him at a stop light.

Once in central Florida, I was riding at 90mph--about 145kph--on an infrequently traveled North-South phosphate country highway when an empty semi-tractor and flatbed trailer passed me as if I was standing still. The wind gusts alone almost drove me from the road. He too used no horn and I was completely surprised when he passed. However, I had a word with him at a stop light.

No mirrors on your bike?...Constant scanning , not only ahead and to the sides,but also instruments and mirrors is crucial in bike riding....If you are doing frequent/constant mirror checks you will never be in the position that you and john Kane comment on...

• Like 1

Hmmm, let's see if I can remember them all...

First spill on Phayathai turning into Rama 4 - cement trucks exiting a worksite not hosed down at night. Front end departed at pace, lifted my girlfriends leg up and we hit the mud and slid some distance along with the bike (Yamaha Special 650) Bent bars and muddy clothes. Two other bikes had gone down just before us and were trying to wave us off - failed to understand their gestures... Told us after we were lucky it was muddy or we'd be cut up on the road... not sure they saw the irony in that.. anyhow smile.png Went home, changed clothes, came back out a different route, bent bars and all...

Had the front wheel of the Yamaha knocked out from under me by a scooter rider in traffic - he cut me up near Makasan in light rain. Greasy road and being on the paint at the time contributed to my failure to correct it. Ruined a pair of $400 Frattelli Rossetti shoes and was late for a seminar. Gear peg too bent to repair there and then, so had to leave it and get a bike taxi...

Rolled off at low speed a few times on my first off-road adventure on my mini-GS. Missed a turn and went down an embankment on the same trip, had to cut the undergrowth away with a pocket knife which took a while. Now I carry a kukri I've sharpened well enough to shave with...

Last, but by no means least, I was riding off road in Ratchaburi on a course taught by Simon Pavey when I did exactly what he said not to do and drove straight into a hole at the side of the track, stopped instantly from 40, rolled into the track and was almost run over by the support vehicle (I was tail end charley because Pavey said "You seem sensible, why don't you mop up stragglers." Broke my wrist and nose and was driven to Suan Phueng 'anamai'

On a serious note, the x-ray at Suan Phueng showed a single clean break at the wrist. Pavey told me he road Dakar with an almost identical break in an open cast... The day after I took my x-ray, myself and my open cast to BNH to get a second opinion. 13 fractures, 7 weeks in a full cast and a rather painful resetting procedure that made me dig deep for suitable vocabulary... Don't trust up country medical equipment unless you can tell it is modern. I can't blame the Dr. in Suan Phueng, the Dr. in BNH agreed with the interpretation of the original film, just the machine was ancient...

Happy riding gents.

Oh, ahh - I think the x-ray machine was substandard, too. Feels like a broken foot. The swelling won't go away...

Bought the same brand shoes - crocodile leather. But wore sandals when I was hit by a speeding taxi van which was over taking, driving in the wrong lane.

Previously, a bastard without insurance caused an accident. Had a broken finger. The cops ignored the lack of insurance - and this time, the van left the scene of the accident. The bike was totalled and I'm hopping mad.attachicon.gifaccident2.jpgattachicon.gifaccident.jpg

Hop you get well soon! wink.png

No mirrors on your bike?...Constant scanning , not only ahead and to the sides,but also instruments and mirrors is crucial in bike riding....If you are doing frequent/constant mirror checks you will never be in the position that you and john Kane comment on...

Gee, after 60 years of riding, I sure do appreciate your advice. Yes, I had mirrors, it was a fully decked-out Road King, but I must confess I had not seen another vehicle for miles and I was enjoying my female companion.

• Like 1

Gee, after 60 years of riding, I sure do appreciate your advice. Yes, I had mirrors, it was a fully decked-out Road King, but I must confess I had not seen another vehicle for miles and I was enjoying my female companion.

Gee ,after 50 years full time riding myself i feel i am able to give you some advice...sounds like you didn;'t learn too much in your time.....''enjoying my female companion"??? time and place for everything is there not?... I stand by what i said....you should never be in the position you found yourself in...ie.." I was completely surprised when he passed."

Edited by andreandre

10 days ago I had some jack off looked to be a 10 year old kid decide to ride his dads wave across sukimvette in Pattaya from a side street. Traffic moving 120 KPH. I was going with the flow in the fast lane the lane next to me was a truck that had to get sideways to avoid the kid the nissan next to him went into drift mode to miss the truck sliding, Then it was my turn to stuff the brakes froont & rear to get my speed down to 50 KPH in 1/2 a second & got a wobble in the front end. Luckily I am not a noob rider & was able to pull out of it. I wish the heat would get the little kids off the road entirely. Sukimvette in Pattaya is a horrible place to test out your lack of riding skills. There was no way the kid could have made it safely unless it was over a liter bike & for what. He probably didn't even think twice about the event. It was a whew moment for sure. No one was speeding that stretch of the road 120 is the normal flow of traffic.

Gee ,after 50 years full time riding myself i feel i am able to give you some advice...sounds like you didn;'t learn too much in your time.....''enjoying my female companion"??? time and place for everything is there not?... I stand by what i said....you should never be in the position you found yourself in...ie.." I was completely surprised when he passed."

50 years of full time riding, couple of misses, no hits, no falls.

110cc step thru at no more than 60kph - figures.

In Ao Nang, going slow on my Harley, a little farang kid darted out in front of a parked tuk-tuk. I slammed on the front and rear brakes to avoid the kid. Fell over on my right side with my right foot still on the foot brake. The kid was not hit, then his mother came out to grab him; dumb c**t. My bike was not scratched, it landed on top of me. I thought I had knocked the wind out, I had had worse hits in gridiron and martial arts. However, later that night I could not sleep and went to a clinic for x-rays. They told me I had bruised ribs and prescribed painkillers, anti-inflamatories, and muscle relaxers. The next day, I took a cab back to my home and my son rode my bike back. I suffered sleepless nights and immobile days, but multitudes of painkillers made the days go by. One morning about three weeks later, I could not breathe. I went to the hospital, they x-rayed my chest and discovered I had five broken ribs and had a collapsed lung. I was rushed into surgery to drain five liters of blood and fluid from my right lung cavity. Further tests and x-rays showed I had several blood clots in and around the lung cavity. I was rushed back into surgery for a thoracic cleaning, four hours later with a lovely eleven inch scar where they separated my rib cage to cleanse the cavity of clots, I was back to my private room. Nine days from entry to discharge--the thoracic surgeon had estimated three weeks recovery--and I was back on my bike; albeit not for a long ride. I was 68 at the time. It wasn't my first accident, and it probably won't be my last.

You have confirmed my thoughts about people who ride hardlys and their attitude towards women

Good thing the kid wasn't black or I'm sure plenty of racist drivel would have been added to your post

You have confirmed my thoughts about people who ride hardlys and their attitude towards women

Good thing the kid wasn't black or I'm sure plenty of racist drivel would have been added to your post

Why do you assume the shit for brains that ran into the road wasn't black?

does race have to do with anything in this context?

Projection much?

• Like 1

Why do you assume the shit for brains that ran into the road wasn't black?

does race have to do with anything in this context?

Projection much?

Umm I'm pretty sure he said "farang kid" so who exactly is throwing race into it? Edited by Eliot Rosewater
  • Like 1

In Ao Nang, going slow on my Harley, a little farang kid darted out in front of a parked tuk-tuk. I slammed on the front and rear brakes to avoid the kid. Fell over on my right side with my right foot still on the foot brake. The kid was not hit, then his mother came out to grab him; dumb c**t. My bike was not scratched, it landed on top of me. I thought I had knocked the wind out, I had had worse hits in gridiron and martial arts. However, later that night I could not sleep and went to a clinic for x-rays. They told me I had bruised ribs and prescribed painkillers, anti-inflamatories, and muscle relaxers. The next day, I took a cab back to my home and my son rode my bike back. I suffered sleepless nights and immobile days, but multitudes of painkillers made the days go by. One morning about three weeks later, I could not breathe. I went to the hospital, they x-rayed my chest and discovered I had five broken ribs and had a collapsed lung. I was rushed into surgery to drain five liters of blood and fluid from my right lung cavity. Further tests and x-rays showed I had several blood clots in and around the lung cavity. I was rushed back into surgery for a thoracic cleaning, four hours later with a lovely eleven inch scar where they separated my rib cage to cleanse the cavity of clots, I was back to my private room. Nine days from entry to discharge--the thoracic surgeon had estimated three weeks recovery--and I was back on my bike; albeit not for a long ride. I was 68 at the time. It wasn't my first accident, and it probably won't be my last.

I love women, but that poor kid's mother just let him run into traffic; and my Harley has nothing to do with her stupidity. Now that I know how you spout unfounded opinions, from now on, no matter what you say, I will just consider the source and ignore you.

• Like 1

andreandre said, "Gee ,after 50 years full time riding myself i feel i am able to give you some advice...sounds like you didn;'t learn too much in your time.....''enjoying my female companion"??? time and place for everything is there not?... I stand by what i said....you should never be in the position you found yourself in...ie.." I was completely surprised when he passed." "

My my, I am so glad you feel you are in a position to scold me. However, to infer riding with your lady is not the time to enjoy her companionship, shows how little you know, and negates the credibility of your advice.

andreandre said, "Gee ,after 50 years full time riding myself i feel i am able to give you some advice...sounds like you didn;'t learn too much in your time.....''enjoying my female companion"??? time and place for everything is there not?... I stand by what i said....you should never be in the position you found yourself in...ie.." I was completely surprised when he passed." "

My my, I am so glad you feel you are in a position to scold me. However, to infer riding with your lady is not the time to enjoy her companionship, shows how little you know, and negates the credibility of your advice.

Each to their own i guess.. Me? if i'm riding anywhere at 145kph ....i'm concentrating 100% on my riding...and leave the ''enjoying my female companion" to be done at my destination...If you had done the same , you would not have found yourself in the potentially life threatening situation you found yourself in, because no matter what your reasoning is,your lack of road awareness/scanning lead up to your being passed in the manner you describe.. " The wind gusts alone almost drove me from the road. He too used no horn and I was completely surprised when he passed." also negates the credibility of your reasoning..Yes?

Edited by andreandre

I love women, but that poor kid's mother just let him run into traffic; and my Harley has nothing to do with her stupidity. Now that I know how you spout unfounded opinions, from now on, no matter what you say, I will just consider the source and ignore you.

Alright, maybe that was an unfair shot, apologies

Each to their own i guess.. Me? if i'm riding anywhere at 145kph ....i'm concentrating 100% on my riding...and leave the ''enjoying my female companion" to be done at my destination...If you had done the same , you would not have found yourself in the potentially life threatening situation you found yourself in, because no matter what your reasoning is,your lack of road awareness/scanning lead up to your being passed in the manner you describe.. " The wind gusts alone almost drove me from the road. He too used no horn and I was completely surprised when he passed." also negates the credibility of your reasoning..Yes?

I tend to agree with you here.

The last thing i would be doing is to compromise not only my own safety, but also that of any pillion.

I am only riding some 30 years, so not up there with you older guys, but commonsense is here.

Ride the bike and enjoy that bike ride.

Romance and enjoy that ride AFTER the bike riding.

Both are great parts of life ,but not at the same time.

why not? sometime a quick hand job from a female companion on a bike is nice:)

moreover, i constantly check my mirrors especially on a highway or commuting in Bangkok. Mirrors are my eyes on my back and sometime even while walking, i feel like mirrors attached to my shoulders should be handy!smile.png

checking the mirrors are not so hard and they dont take your eyes from the road much as they are located high not like the instrument cluster where you need to specifically stare and that is why prefer big mirrors, not like those aluminium posh small mirrors where you see nothing. And i am always amazed on the stupidity of the riders when i see their mirrors are missing or folded. for what i never understand!

so that is why never get surprised when a vehicle is coming behind me and anyway, mostly no car can pass me or come close to me!

first rule, be away from other vehicles especially on high speed highways.

Edited by ll2

moreover, i constantly check my mirrors especially on a highway or commuting in Bangkok. Mirrors are my eyes on my back and sometime even while walking, i feel like mirrors attached to my shoulders should be handy!smile.png

checking the mirrors are not so hard and they dont take your eyes from the road much as they are located high not like the instrument cluster where you need to specifically stare and that is why prefer big mirrors, not like those aluminium posh small mirrors where you see nothing. And i am always amazed on the stupidity of the riders when i see their mirrors are missing or folded. for what i never understand!

so that is why never get surprised when a vehicle is coming behind me and anyway, mostly no car can pass me or come close to me!

^^^^^

Yes i agree fully..but not to the point where you have lost focus....how can you not see a huge truck and trailer approaching from behind???..w00t.gif ....that is ,that at least you are displaying commonsense by scanning and checking mirrors at the time/all the time....this concept/ability which is really what my comments were originally about, seem to be way out of the ability of the other commenter....Credit to you for riding smart...re mirrors etc..

Edited by andreandre

I am amused that you messaged me to apologize for your "harsh" statements.

Actually, she was sitting on the tank facing me, and my eyes were distracted.

I am amused that you messaged me to apologize for your "harsh" statements.

and even if he did so, why did you disclose it here?

a private message - as you can understand from its name - is a private message so without the consent of the sender, you can disclose it and you cannot even say you received a message. this is rude man.

i did it once here and was angry to myself on losing myself and doing it and after that and mods banned me for a while!

• Like 1