Thai officials prosecuted for human trafficking

Lite Beer

Thai officials prosecuted for human trafficking

Bangkok, Thailand | AFP

BANGKOK: -- More than a dozen Thai government officials -- including senior policemen and a navy officer -- are being prosecuted for human trafficking, junta officials said Friday, as they vowed "zero tolerance" of the trade.

Thailand has long been a regional hub for modern day slavery with officials accused of not doing enough to halt the trade and even being active participants.

In June the United States dumped Thailand to the bottom of its list of countries accused of failing to tackle human trafficking.

The kingdom's junta, which took over in a May coup, has vowed to crack down on the trade and said Friday that they had launched a string of prosecutions against senior officials.

Deputy Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai insisted the arrests -- which included police officers with the ranks of colonel and lieutenant colonel -- were proof that Thailand's generals were serious about pursuing officials involved in the trade.

"At the least this is an indication of how earnest and determined we are in trying to enforce the law and apprehend the perpetrators," he told reporters.

Songsak Saicheua, a foreign ministry official, said at least 15 police officers were facing prosecution, alongside a Royal Thai Navy officer, two local administration officials and a social worker.

Many of those trafficked through Thailand are Muslim Rohingya from Myanmar, described by the UN as one of the world's most persecuted minorities.

Thousands of Rohingya have fled deadly communal unrest in western Myanmar's Rakhine state since 2012.

Myanmar views its population of roughly 800,000 Rohingya as illegal Bangladeshi immigrants and denies them citizenship.

In recent weeks Thai authorities have discovered scores of the group fleeing dire conditions by making perilous journeys across the ocean, taking advantage of the slightly calmer winter waters in the Andaman Sea to head south.

Earlier this month Thai authorities discovered five pickup trucks carrying nearly 100 Rohingya -- mostly aged under 18 -- in southern Thailand.

Three of the refugees had died from suffocation and dehydration.

Rights groups have criticised Thailand in the past for pushing boatloads of Rohingya entering Thai waters back out to sea and for holding migrants in overcrowded facilities.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2015-01-30

Considering the abysmally low salaries they're paid, it's not surprising they seek to supplement their income in other ways. The following article which dates from 2013 highlights the need for a pay review: http://www.cgmoore.com/blog/view.asp?id=784

Human trafficking on the other hand is a despicable way of earning a living and I hope the PM throws the book at them.

• Like 2

Really? I think this is crap being spewed out to try and trick the U.S into adjusting their rating. Who are these ghosts that have been rounded up and charged. Thailand is always very quick to name high profile police and others when charged look at the officer linked to the former princess.

I wont believe this until they provide some proof that this has actually happened and I don't think the U.S will either.

I guess now the journalists who revealed the military and officials were involved will be exonerated or will they still be prosecuted because no one has seen the ghosts that were arrested?

Edited by Kooweerup
  • Like 1

As long they provide only figures, but no names on the first hand and no trials with real punishment, not only pay some tausends of THB, then is this IMO just a charade.

1 site telling a kind of fairytale and hope the others believe this bull$hit. cheesy.gif

We call this in my country Kasperle Theater. giggle.gif whistling.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14Y-IC4fEDo&list=PLFgqoIgHVTlgO3MxwuOZA--NypDhyfr0I&index=4

• Like 2

As long they provide only figures, but no names on the first hand and no trials with real punishment, not only pay some tausends of THB, then is this IMO just a charade.

1 site telling a kind of fairytale and hope the others believe this bull$hit. cheesy.gif

We call this in my country Kasperle Theater. giggle.gif whistling.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14Y-IC4fEDo&list=PLFgqoIgHVTlgO3MxwuOZA--NypDhyfr0I&index=4

Somehow I don't think the world media is buying the story either

According to Thailand’s junta officials on Friday, senior policemen and a navy officer are among the officials, who are detained and being prosecuted with regard to this issue.

http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2015/01/30/395419/Thai-officials-face-prosecution

According to someone

officially

adverb

according to what governments or people in authority say, although it may not be true

• Like 1

Considering the abysmally low salaries they're paid, it's not surprising they seek to supplement their income in other ways. The following article which dates from 2013 highlights the need for a pay review: http://www.cgmoore.com/blog/view.asp?id=784

Human trafficking on the other hand is a despicable way of earning a living and I hope the PM throws the book at them.

This has gone far beyond supplementing for low salaries and pays, this has to do with pure greed

and a complete disregard of the law and human sufferings, seeing how many of their counterpart

are all engaging in the same dispeakble act and get rich, worst come to worst they will be transfers

to 'inactive post'.....

• Like 1

So the Reuters article accusing RTN as being involved in human trafficking and then having a law suit against them for the article is now going to be dropped? along with the two people in Phuket that re-published the Reuters story?

A few token selected offerings to appease the world as a show, look see we are doing something about itwhistling.gif

How about some real investigative journalism and have a look for yourselves and not just accept the offerings thrown to you, Apply your trade and you might just get some respect.

Edited by aussieinthailand

More than a dozen Thai government officials -- including senior policemen and a navy officer -- are being prosecuted for human trafficking, junta officials said Friday, as they vowed "zero tolerance" of the trade.

Another case for....

1. Attitude adjustment

2. a clap on the wrist

3. Nasty nasty boys, don't get caught next time again....

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Edited by MaxLee

What utter crap!

I sincerely hope the U.S. can see thru' these weekly reports 'manufactured' here by the Junta..as was mentioned in an earlier post..no names mentioned here, I for one would dearly like to see photos of these perps in cuffs looking sorrowful..but it's all a charade.

(All those poor men suffering on Thai fishing boats, & the total number of Thai Navy officers mentioned in this report amounts to the grand total of....1).

• Like 1

ill believe it when there names are printed along with pictures of trafficked people pointing at them

If you think that is ever going to happen just to prove what has been stated and to satisfy your lack of belief then you must believe in the tooth fairy

Amazing what an International slap round the head and pocket does for motivation. thumbsup.gif

Names and more details please.

At least this is a start. It would never have happened 3 years ago. So maybe things are changing for the better?

Your are damn naive... .. First I may remind you that the media is totally controlled by the Junta. It is not possible to questions them... and all news to be brocasted is first filtered and approved by the good guys... it is obvious what kind of news is release!!!! The same is happening in Venezuela, a beautiful country ruled by militaries... so they release these kind of news for just 'image". This is a typical behavior!!

However, You cannot hide a lit-candle inside a dark room.... Tough times ahead !!!!