Getting A Thailand Atm Card

rampa

all "Thai owned" lokal banks can give you an atm on a savings account.

foreign owned banks like citybank, hsbc ect need to ask for a workpermit by law.

Just one extra way for the toxin governement to change the principle of free trade in their own favour..

B

all "Thai owned" lokal banks can give you an atm on a savings account.

foreign owned banks like citybank, hsbc ect need to ask for a workpermit by law.

Just one extra way for the toxin governement to change the principle of free trade in their own favour..

B

Agreed, and each transaction can, and will cost you something like 3% of each transaction amount :o

Guest IT Manager

Within the rules, as they apply from day to day, based on saying you are a tourist, no. Unless you can give them an address which is not a hotel or guest house, though you may find Bank of Asia will relax that rule, if you can show you have lived there for an extended period, with receipts or something.

Try Kasikorn Bank (previously Thai Farmers Bank). You can open a savings account with an ATM that can be used worldwide (Global ATM) within 15 minutes and all you need is a copy of your passport with the page bearing the visa stamp.

And yes, you need to give a local address which is not an hotel or a guest house.

Krung Thai will give you a ATM card, also if you are on touristvisa but avoid small city without farangs

:o not sure... btw - if your foreign card stuck in some ATM /as it happened to my Visa/ - than you'll see what an adventure means! They DO NOT give your card back /even if it isn't your fault!/ and you have to contact your bank abroad... 1-2 weeks letters, faxes, DHL and action...

Anyone know if ATM cards subject to the same ridiculous 'out of changwat' charge as passbooks?

If you use your own bank, (in my case, SCB) away from your own area, or maybe even own branch! they charge you. The fact that your passbook is put into a computer terminal, linked to SCB head office doesn't count. You are out of your own area!

And SCB charge an annual fee for their ATM card to boot!

So, annual fee, + out of changwat charge, + transaction charge.

Hmmm. Electronic banking doesn't come cheap in LOS.

Guest IT Manager

No from Bank of Asia.

Ask Marko. He remembers his Tourist visa. Or are you still on it Marko? What is it, must be getting on 11 years now.

• 2 weeks later...
Krung Thai will give you a ATM card, also if you are on touristvisa but avoid small city without farangs

:o not sure... btw - if your foreign card stuck in some ATM /as it happened to my Visa/ - than you'll see what an adventure means! They DO NOT give your card back /even if it isn't your fault!/ and you have to contact your bank abroad... 1-2 weeks letters, faxes, DHL and action...

If you have a card from a foreign bank and it stuck in the atm, the Thai bank have to send it to your foreign bank. But with a Thai ATM card there are no problem.

... if your foreign card stuck in some ATM /as it happened to my Visa/ - than you'll see what an adventure means!

sounds like quite some "adventure" !

so may be better not to have any ATM card - then such adventure'll never happen? :o

WRONG; I have had a passbook acct. with SCB for 3 years and have not ever had a work permit and have never been charged any fee except if I use the card away from my town or at a different bank,then it is a flat 20 baht. :o

Well you shot yourself in the foot there.

SCB is a Thai bank, an dhe was talking about foregn based banks like HSBC