Police beef up operations against prostitution in entertainment venues

Lite Beer

This is more lip service only since most establishments are affiliated with policemen or Gov officials. Most likely the only places that this will be enforced are the businesses that don't have the police protection.

And the price for said protection has just gone up. I wager nary a soapie massage will close and how more blatant prostitution can you get?

While prostitution may be illegal in Thailand, there is a big loophole in how Thailand defines prostitution:

"prostitution" means sexual intercourse, or any other act, or the commission of any other act in order to gratify the sexual desire of another person in a promiscuous manner in return for money or any other benefit, irrespective of whether the person who accepts the act and the person who commits the act are of the same sex or not;"

Without the part in red, in Thailand's legal eyes it would be prostitution just for the benefit of not satisfying being horny. Well that is my take being from the US where how a law is worded is often more important than the intent which I assume when they say benefit it is to mean material or monetary benefit.

Does it matter what is illegal and what is legal in Thailand? A country with no democracy, no functioning criminal justice system, an utterly corrupt and incompetent police force etc etc etc.

What matters is the occasional power struggle, the occasional statement by somebody in power for the purpose of saving face (not for the betterment of the country) and this then prompting some sort of action that has a ridiculously small impact and is forgotten within a week.

Please report for ¨Attitude Re-Adjustment¨ at your earliest convenience.....

whistling.gif

This is more lip service only since most establishments are affiliated with policemen or Gov officials. Most likely the only places that this will be enforced are the businesses that don't have the police protection.

And the price for said protection has just gone up. I wager nary a soapie massage will close and how more blatant prostitution can you get?

Soapies are operating legally.

Love to see how RTP will clean up Ratchada. Many powerful backers behind the venues. Or, it's just another slogan. The big fish will still be in tact whereas the small fish get the frying pan.

This is exactly what I think will happen.

Thailand`s sex industry will fall under the control of the so-called up market establishments, ultra expensive prices way out of the leagues of the average clientele, whereas the small fry will be thrown out of the competition. Then it becomes a case of less supply and increased demand. Chiang Mai began this policy several years ago.

For those who enjoy some wine, women and song, the party`s over folks.

I don't think so ....

I believe you can even still get a shag in Chiang Mai!

• Like 1

This will be another catch 22. When you don't pay your police force a fair wage, they have no choice but to sell favors and do whatever it takes to supplement their income.

If turning a blind eye to prostitution gets them kick-backs, they can't afford not to do it

"When you don't pay your police force a fair wage,...."

The average street copper does not control massage parlors and gambling venues or own bars.

That is the purview of the senior commanders, you know, the ones that the junta has slowly been arresting for corruption and other shady operations.

The biggest fish was caught before Christmas and that caused major ripples all the way to the apex of Thai society.

The average bent street copper only tries to imitate his superiors and aim for a few hundred baht a day.

They weren´t arrested for corruption (as far as I know no one has been this was just something on the side) they were arrested and imprisoned for LM (and I haven´t seen anything about corruption charges or convictions so far, please correct me if I am wrong), and this was done for other reasons.

• Like 1

There are no prostitutes in Thailand. Prostitution is illegal.

Sarcasm aside,

Prostitution is not strictly illegal in Thailand, though solicitation and public nuisance laws are in effect. In practice it is tolerated and partly regulated. Prostitution operates clandestinely in many parts of the country.

Wiki.

And contrary to what you said, there are tens of thousands of prostitutes in Thailand.

Prostitute.
1.a woman who engages in sexual intercourse for money; whore; harlot.
2.a man who engages in sexual acts for money.
3.a person who willingly uses his or her talent or ability in a base and unworthy way, usually for money.

Soapies are operating legally.

Then how come Chuwit had to pay so much protection money to the police ?? :-)

• Like 1

Love to see how RTP will clean up Ratchada. Many powerful backers behind the venues. Or, it's just another slogan. The big fish will still be in tact whereas the small fish get the frying pan.

This is exactly what I think will happen.

Thailand`s sex industry will fall under the control of the so-called up market establishments, ultra expensive prices way out of the leagues of the average clientele, whereas the small fry will be thrown out of the competition. Then it becomes a case of less supply and increased demand. Chiang Mai began this policy several years ago.

For those who enjoy some wine, women and song, the party`s over folks.

I don't think so ....

I believe you can even still get a shag in Chiang Mai!

Yes...75 baht. I got a nice shag at the barber shop next to the market.

My hair is much nicer now, and easier to comb.

• Like 1

And how many of all the entertainment venues in Thailand that offers play for pay are legal, 1%?

Nana, Cowboy, Patpong ... are "legal" entertainment venues.

Edit: As well as other areas including much of Pataya.

Exactly how is it "legal" to commit an Illegal act? Prostitution is illegal in Thailand, or wasn't that mentioned in the tourist brochure?

b

Try reading the thread before commenting. Prostitution itself is not illegal in Thailand. It's carefully regulated. This thread is about those venues that are operating outside the regulations and specifically those using trafficked or underage women.

Prostitution is ILLEGAL in Thailand

And how wilk they know if one is a prostitute? If you think about it the line have many grey areas

what about these girl who go out occasionally looking for a farang and if she feels that way can ask for money in the morning to buy for or go shopping

even when one is a prostitute they do like to have a label of one.

a few times i did ask if they were prostitute and it didnt go diwn to well

*yawn*

Thinking the same thing I am....You can take the girl out of the bar...but ..blah blah blah.

In the bar, at least it is controlled. They sure are not going to stop girls from making big bucks

with their wiley attributes. Otherwise, the streets would be flooded with girls on the take.

This will be another catch 22. When you don't pay your police force a fair wage, they have no choice but to sell favors and do whatever it takes to supplement their income.

If turning a blind eye to prostitution gets them kick-backs, they can't afford not to do it

"When you don't pay your police force a fair wage,...."

The average street copper does not control massage parlors and gambling venues or own bars.

That is the purview of the senior commanders, you know, the ones that the junta has slowly been arresting for corruption and other shady operations.

The biggest fish was caught before Christmas and that caused major ripples all the way to the apex of Thai society.

The average bent street copper only tries to imitate his superiors and aim for a few hundred baht a day.

They weren´t arrested for corruption (as far as I know no one has been this was just something on the side) they were arrested and imprisoned for LM (and I haven´t seen anything about corruption charges or convictions so far, please correct me if I am wrong), and this was done for other reasons.

Would this clarify anything?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/25/thai-senior-police-officer-corruption-charges

• Like 1

Obviously not good news for many that enjoy the full tilt fun of Bangkok nightlife. Out recently in Sukhumvit daytime, seems on its lips,less joy on the streets. And in and around soi C fewer people, less attractive girls manning the bars...and then a little before midnite the police forced the whole soi to close by midnite, which it did. The draconian liquor laws in effect.

Strange days indeed.

• Like 1

and a million sexpats cried out in horror..

Did you? I thought I farted coffee1.gif

Don't you know if you farted or not?

Is an examination of your undies for skiddies an indication of your past flatulence.

I don’t really need an answer.

And how many of all the entertainment venues in Thailand that offers play for pay are legal, 1%?

Nana, Cowboy, Patpong ... are "legal" entertainment venues.

Edit: As well as other areas including much of Pataya.

The label "legal entertainment venues", a lot of them owned by cops, does not change the fact that they are whore houses and only serve one purpose- prostitution, which is "officially illegal". The entire stunt is nothing but a farce.

Thainess gets a little more absurd by the hour.

It's as Switzerland would ban banking, The Netherlands stop planting tulips and Germany declares beer an illegal drug.

Edited by Lupatria
  • Like 1

Legalise prostitution and license venues. Make it safer for sex workers with proper regulation. Make their income subject to tax as a self-employed person, and create a strict system of HIV/STD testing.

In addition, provide back to work/training opportunities that would put girls in a position to get a job/start a business worth 20k+ a month (and free childcare to support this). This would be a wonderful initiative for those girls who left school at a young age with little eduction, were forced to marry young, then got divorced and were left with kids to look after, and therefore stumbled into one of very few job opportunities that pays more than 8,000 a month.

Sexpat: "But Kenny, then there would be less young, impoverished, uneducated, societally exploited girls for us to have sex with".

Kenny: "Errr, yes. Haven't you got a daughter? Wouldn't you want better for her?

Sexpert: "But they f'ing love it, don't they! They was born to do this the little "bleep, bleep, bleeps".

Thai official: "But Kenny, funding child care with state money would mean we'd have to all cut back on extravagant expenses and dipping our fingers into government project budget pots. Moreover, we have a welfare state that provides child support already.

Kenny: Really? That's great!

Thai Official: Yes, it's called "the farang" - 55555+

People say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one...

Legalise prostitution and license venues.

Then there would be no money in it corruption wise, that won´t happen

Make it safer for sex workers with proper regulation. Make their income subject to tax as a self-employed person, and create a strict system of HIV/STD testing.

How will it be safer?

A test for HIV is no good until 6 months after contracting it so that is a waste of time, and no one wants to pay tax that´s why the country is in such a mess. That won´t happen.

In addition, provide back to work/training opportunities that would put girls in a position to get a job/start a business worth 20k+ a month (and free childcare to support this).

They are in this situation because they are too lazy to learn at school (and the powers to be won´t change that or improve the education system because that´s how they want it) and they chose this line of work for the same reason. The Thai BF that knocked them up in Isaan is NEVER held responsible, and yet they can be under Thai law, but none of them ever pursue it. They have kids so that they have someone to send them money when they are old enough, till then Mom or the Grandmother is the child care and receives the money. This will never happen.

Yes you are a dreamer !!!

• Like 1