Jumping on a train right after landing at BKK

Bangkok Herps

I'm planning on taking the Bangkok-Chiang Mai train in March, but our schedule leads to us having to land in Bangkok and get on the train same-day.

First off, is it really true that you can get tickets via email from State Railways of Thailand like seat61 says? Has anyone done it?

The next best option I see is 12go.asia - minor problems there are that the ticket is a few hundred baht more (not a big deal) and the trains available are limited.

Second question, how much time do I need to give myself between scheduled landing in BKK and scheduled departure from Hualamphong? I assume I would take the metro once I got off my plane, and we would have checked baggage. Is 3 hours enough leeway time? How about just 2 hours?

Edited by Bangkok Herps

If you land at Suvarnabhumi Airport (Bkk) as most international travelers do ... you can take a non stop shuttle to Don Muang Airport - actually to the Don Muang Railway Station - next to that airport... It should be possible to schedule your train trip to Chiang Mai from the Don Muang Railway Station... I have stood at that station and watched while trains to Chiang Mai stopped to pick up passengers. If you prefer - you can take a taxi to the Railway station of your choice. Just give the name to the taxi driver or to the taxi scheduler at the booth in the airport.

I am not sure about booking train tickets over the Internet.

• Like 1

If you land at Suvarnabhumi Airport (Bkk) as most international travelers do ... you can take a non stop shuttle to Don Muang Airport - actually to the Don Muang Railway Station - next to that airport... It should be possible to schedule your train trip to Chiang Mai from the Don Muang Railway Station... I have stood at that station and watched while trains to Chiang Mai stopped to pick up passengers. If you prefer - you can take a taxi to the Railway station of your choice. Just give the name to the taxi driver or to the taxi scheduler at the booth in the airport.

I am not sure about booking train tickets over the Internet.

Yes - I mentioned that I would be landing at BKK but it was kind of buried in my post.

Two problems with the shuttle to Don Muang. First, is that shuttle only available if you have a ticket from Don Muang? And second, all the online ticket options I've found so far appear to either deliver the ticket to a hotel or to Hualamphong Station - delivery to Don Muang Station doesn't seem to be an option.

I can't help you on the ticketing but you can take the airport link from Suvarnabhumi airport from the basement level to Makkasan. Then the MRT (underground) to Hualamphong. The journey would be about an hour. There's a bit of a walk from Makkasan to the MRT station but it is not too taxing as there is an elevated walkway and escalators at the end - no more than 5 minutes to interchange. They will probably make you open your luggage when you go into the MRT though as part of their "security checks" and this will be a pain.

Personally this is the only way I would consider making the journey unless you have a ton of luggage. If you have wheely cases then this is by far the best option as you are guaranteed to know how long it will take you. But I am sure there will be naysayers along who say this is a ridiculous option and you should take a taxi. But the information is yours to digest and choose what suits you.

• Like 1

I can't help you on the ticketing but you can take the airport link from Suvarnabhumi airport from the basement level to Makkasan. Then the MRT (underground) to Hualamphong. The journey would be about an hour. There's a bit of a walk from Makkasan to the MRT station but it is not too taxing as there is an elevated walkway and escalators at the end - no more than 5 minutes to interchange. They will probably make you open your luggage when you go into the MRT though as part of their "security checks" and this will be a pain.

Personally this is the only way I would consider making the journey unless you have a ton of luggage. If you have wheely cases then this is by far the best option as you are guaranteed to know how long it will take you. But I am sure there will be naysayers along who say this is a ridiculous option and you should take a taxi. But the information is yours to digest and choose what suits you.

No, your option sounds far better than a taxi.

If I can make it from the airport to Hualamphong in an hour, and I have 3 hours total, will that give me enough time to get through immigration and get my bags? I'll be doing a visa on arrival. My memory is that the process wasn't too bad, but I haven't been through there in a couple years.

March is still high season and sleeper seats sell out quickly. It doesn't seem you can get tickets online, but this site says they can...not sure though:

http://www.thailandtrainticket.com/

Here's the website for Thai Railways:

http://www.railway.co.th/home/#

It does have a "contact us" option. Might be worth a try. I have to agree with others though, if you plan in advance, the flight there is relatively cheap and very quick. Some love train travel here, others don't. Depends on your reasons for taking the train....

My wife and I prefer train travel partially to save money (save the night's hotel cost in addition to being cheaper than a flight) and partially out of environmental concerns. We fly as little as possible.

We enjoy train travel just fine - usually can sleep and usually get some work done, in addition to the scenery. I've done this particular route three times, just that I was already in Bangkok the other times so could buy the tickets in person.

So rather than getting advice on whether or not to take the train, I'm really just trying to figure out whether anyone has any recent experience trying what seat61 suggests, and whether I'm giving myself enough time in-between.

Why don't you just buy tickets when you get to the train station??? If you travel third class there'll be loads of tickets available and its much cheaper...It's quite comfortable too(bring a cushion to sit on!) and loads of fun as every time it stops people will get on selling all sorts of snacks and food....

Third class all the way to Chiang Mai, straight after a long flight? I'm not sure that's a good idea.

The sleepers do get booked up, but march isn't exactly high season so I'd be tempted to chance it on arrival - you can always hang out in Bangkok for a night or two if there's no tickets available.

Why don't you just buy tickets when you get to the train station??? If you travel third class there'll be loads of tickets available and its much cheaper...It's quite comfortable too(bring a cushion to sit on!) and loads of fun as every time it stops people will get on selling all sorts of snacks and food....

I considered it for a moment - that's what we've done the previous three times. But it's just a minimally restful night - I don't sleep in a sitting position - and we want to arrive in decent shape this time around.

I went ahead and bought 2nd class tickets via the 12asia site, but I got a 4.5 hour gap instead of a 3-hour gap to be on the safe side.

If you take the airport link to Makasan you can go so Ban Sue, that's the other terminus, and hop on the train there. This in case it is getting tight. It will save you 30 minutes or more. Might be worthwhile.

3 rd class to CM is a bad idea. You will be done for a whole day or more.

If the sleeper does not work out. Get a VIP bus and some rest. You will be early in CM and in a much better shape. Depending on the time of day it is better to take a taxi to Morchit bus station rather than 2 tickets for the rail link, 2 subway tickets to Kampang Peth subway station, and another 50 baht from the station to Morchit. You still pay more with the taxi but again if your luggage is limited and you dont mind transferring it is a doable. Escalators everywhere. Buses leave Morchit a few hours after the train departure, this might be helpful if the plane is delayed.

Whatever you do don't land at Bkk airport and then take A taxi to the train station at rush hour.Chances are you'll miss the train.

Um When I travel I get 1st class sleeper.The train takes it seems like forever to get there.I know probably 12-14 hours.Maybe even more.It seems like it goes 30-40 mph.So I would advise you to not get much sleep so you can try and get some sleep on

The train.If you've got plenty of sleep good luck .You'll be in for A long boring ride.

the last time i did the bbk to cmx train run it took 15 hours in a second class sleeper. that is all they had available.

is alcohol sales still banned on trains?

i would get some heavy duty sleeping pills if you are jet lagged. smile.png

you might want to grab some goodies at a 7/11 before you jump on the train.

water, bananas, snacks... it really is a long haul.

Edited by NCC1701A

Your main problem will be thai immigration regarding timing that can take two hours from de-planing to carousel. It is agonisingly slow. Just dreadful and as Chaotic as A provincial third world airport. The airport is great but the staff, rude, slovenly and inefficient, unhelpful despite the impression given by that new documentary about the airport. Assume the worst and just stay in BKK for one night. It is far preferable to to CM anyway.

It's taken me a few minutes to get through immigration the last couple of times I arrived. Nobody was rude to me at any point.

Once again, I'm wondering if I live in a different Thailand to some of you miserable sods.

There you go fellow members.......If you don't conform to this posters ideals, you should not post!

It's taken me a few minutes to get through immigration the last couple of times I arrived. Nobody was rude to me at any point.

Once again, I'm wondering if I live in a different Thailand to some of you miserable sods.

There you go fellow members.......If you don't conform to this posters ideals, you should not post!

That's rather a misinterpretation of my words, isn't it?

I never said anyone should not post. I'm just pointing out that what they say might not be representative of everyone's experiences, regardless of how much they try and present it as fact.

I never said anyone should not post. I'm just pointing out that what they say might not be representative of everyone's experiences, regardless of how much they try and present it as fact.

"Miserable Sods" could well be taken as having 'quite a go' at who you are aiming your comments at. No?

"Miserable Sods" could well be taken as having 'quite a go' at who you are aiming your comments at. No?

It's a long way from telling them they should not post, isn't it?

Besides, trying to rid ThaiVisa of miserable sods would be like trying to sweep up the sand on the beach.

Thus, with Thai Visa so full of "Miserable Sods" like sand on the beach.......It could well have the affect of making you feel miserable as well reading the Forums. Then we would have a combination of so many miserable people including you yourself.

Where to then?

Edited by fishhooks

I have been through the BKK airports nearly 60 times and by and large it gets worse every time especially departing the service at pp control was rubbish on every level and got worse after that. .sometimes ariving it is not a queue to immigration and pp control it's a crowd similar to people leaving a football match not lines of people just a massive crowd going all the way back to the travelator area. And never never enough passport stampers leaving or arriving. Not enough help points or information desks and those staff do not even have printed maps of the airport it is a shambolic disgrace full of grumpy lazy corrupt officials....welcome to Thailand. ...

Edited by The manic

No I am not unlucky as I am in a queue of 100s of other people in the same position leaving and arriving it is even worse than Heathrow or Tripoli or Bombay airport. So I repeat to the OP allow 4 hours from runway to Hualampong and don't bother rushing to CM as BKK is better. The food on the train excellent. I usually travel in the bar with the police and get drunk with them and use the sleeper, fan not aircon, as the AC can be a bit fierce.