Quick actions needed to repair Thai-US friction

webfact

With someone like Kerry in charge of State, it is no surprise that from Israel to Thailand former allies are heading away from the U.S.A.

Today we see that the Chinese, (the main focus of Cobra Gold) have been invited to join in.

Chinese armanent bosses arriving by the plane load.

Not surprising that a corrupted American Government would not face up to the reality of the Before and After effects of this coup.

Of course, when one has a Government like the last one it is so much easier to sell them stuff.

'To move ahead' the U.S. should know what's going on here before opening its yap but, more importantly, Thailand really has to grow up!

You think the US doesn't know what's going on??? After more than 180 years of talks and trade I would guess they have a fair idea of what's going on.

Now if you care to think about it, the comments made last week were made many many times over in the last 8 months or so, correct? I think you might find that in reality it's that some people are just p*ssed off that there was a meeting with Yingluk, but seem to forget that there was a meeting with Mark also, so where is the "taking sides"?

The article sums it up well.

"Washington should use appropriate diplomatic channels to voice its views and concerns.

There is no need to air controversial remarks publicly, especially those that can easily add fuel to the fire."

"A few actions need to be taken urgently to patch up and move forward in the mending of Thai-US ties."

The only patch that's needed is across the mouth of individuals who insist on meddling with another country's affairs. Not so long back, the US was suggesting that Scotland should not vote for independence. <deleted> has it got to do with America? (For brevity, I'll forego all of the other examples of Uncle Sam's interference). In Thailand's case....the meddling and interference has nothing, repeat NOTHING to do with what is best for Thai people - the US doesn't give a rodent's rear end for them - it's all about what is best for America. Me...me....me...

Again I say I recognize the shortcomings of the U.S. Government policy many times in history. I also recognize a few positive things the U.S. policy has been able to achieve for the good of more than just ourselves.

But here I hope to give some better understanding of the American psyche. While I am only one American speaking for myself I can state clearly and without reservation...I give a damn. It matters not to me which continent, which country (some more than others) I care about what happens, what affects other humans. Whether it be natural disaster or political trials and tribulations, I try to read and understand a bit about what is happening. And then, for what it is worth, I form my opinion as one citizen of the planet. Sorry, I have a bad attitude, I actually think I have a right to my opinion and a right to express my opinion...allowing the reality that, in some countries, my freedom is restricted or does not exist.

You just might have won the award for the most confusing, evasive post of the year, but fortunately for you we have 10 months to go for someone else to put the dunce hat on, just what exactly are you saying?

• Like 1

Most of the Ordinary people of US are nice sensible, caring people, no doubt. But because of few Politicians and their greed for wealth, business they manipulate the foreign policy and which leads a lot of people hate the country.

Its a beautiful country and people loves the freedom of speech atleast.

Few of their decision makers are So Self-opinionated, bullying, resource acquiring/raping hypocrites ever to walk the face of the earth. The saying "might is right" has never been more abused.

But the majority are people with an open heart

• Like 1

The US is getting into a new Cold War mode again.....Never learning from the past...or still living in the past.

World changed.

While the current leaders of wonderful Thailand are trying to take this country back to the 1800's. coffee1.gif

Well.....I am very old and with bad memory, and I do not remember the 1800's......but many people, including myself, are missing the 1900's.....even in BK. Wonderful times!

Edited by umbanda

I'd prefer it if my government spent more time on our own problems instead of Thailand's.

* Government Shutdowns (we still don't have a spending bill. Thanks do-nothing Congress.)

* Hyper-partisonship in Washington (Yingluck? How about Bill Clinton? His impeachment was obviously "politically motivated", but I don't recall Thailand having anything to say about it)

* Funding never-ending, meaningless wars while cutting medical research at the same time (even though an American's chances of dying of ordinary flu were 10 times higher than dying from a terrorist...even in 2001)

• Like 1

Most of the Ordinary people of US are nice sensible, caring people, no doubt. But because of few Politicians and their greed for wealth, business they manipulate the foreign policy and which leads a lot of people hate the country.

Its a beautiful country and people loves the freedom of speech atleast.

Few of their decision makers are So Self-opinionated, bullying, resource acquiring/raping hypocrites ever to walk the face of the earth. The saying "might is right" has never been more abused.

But the majority are people with an open heart

A pretty fair assessment. When some Brit is lambasting me for every flawed American

foreign policy decision for the last 50 years, I put on a straight face and politely

inform him that I think some of them are wrong as well. I also inform him

that America makes these decisions without asking me for any input whatsoever,

so it is not really reasonable to hold me accountable...

So how about a quick recap here.. Thailand's exports to America totaled

28 billion dollars in 2012. America's exports to Thailand were 13 billion dollars, thus

there was a deficit in favor of Thailand to the tune of 15 billion dollars. To

continue this thought, so if the junta continues down the path of nuking the

Thai / US relationship, they will stand to lose to the tune of 15 billion dollars in trade.

And America will no longer lose that amount in trade, so a win for America.

So Thailand, keep printing your anti-American news stories and see what

happens......

The hullaballoo last week simply reminded that our modern-day diplomats do not pay attention to these historical records and promises.

nonsense.

The Nation proves yet again that they never saw or read the speech from the US Envoy. Russell spent most of his time discussing the long history of partnership.

It also shows their own amazing lack of self-awareness ... A part of the hullaballo was created by "some paper" and their editorial staff writing about the return of the "ugly American".... in addition to the feeding-frenzy of ultra-nationalists.... coffee1.gif

With someone like Kerry in charge of State, it is no surprise that from Israel to Thailand former allies are heading away from the U.S.A.

Today we see that the Chinese, (the main focus of Cobra Gold) have been invited to join in.

Chinese armanent bosses arriving by the plane load.

Not surprising that a corrupted American Government would not face up to the reality of the Before and After effects of this coup.

Of course, when one has a Government like the last one it is so much easier to sell them stuff.

With someone like Kerry in charge of State, it is no surprise that from Israel to Thailand former allies are heading away from the U.S.A
"Israel heading away from the USA."
That's great news!
​Israel has been an arrogant parasite hiding behind and living off US support since the 1940.
​They get away with atrocities that no other country would get away with because of their strong US support.
If Israel is ever foolish enough to get away from the USA, It will be crushed overnight.
If John Kerry is responsible for this...
I say good on Kerry!
How well do you think Thailand would do?
Do you really believe China has Thailand's best interests in mind for the future?
wai2.gif cheesy.gif wai2.gif
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thailand's relationship with the United States of America - the Government thereof - will not improve until mr. obama is GONE from the scene... After January 2017 ... things could improve

You may have missed the 2014 USA election results that gave the Republican Party a majority in USA Congress and very close to Presidential veto-proof legislation.

If you have some familiarity with the Republican's foreign policy you know them to be far more hawkish than the Democrats. Republicans prefer to war instead of diplomacy if given a choice. Even the Democrats have complained of President Obama appearing weak in foreign policy as he seems to place too much reliance on diplomactic tools like sanctions for solutions rather than using the big stick of military projection.

The Thai government would be smart to calm its rhetoric with the USA now before 2016 when the Republicans might have a complete lock on the USA government with the presidency. Even now US Senators like Republican McCain have almost zero tolerance to foreign tyranny and any threat to democratic societies. Time is not on the side of the Thai government for unearned improved relations with the US.

"A few actions need to be taken urgently to patch up and move forward in the mending of Thai-US ties."

The only patch that's needed is across the mouth of individuals who insist on meddling with another country's affairs. Not so long back, the US was suggesting that Scotland should not vote for independence. <deleted> has it got to do with America? (For brevity, I'll forego all of the other examples of Uncle Sam's interference). In Thailand's case....the meddling and interference has nothing, repeat NOTHING to do with what is best for Thai people - the US doesn't give a rodent's rear end for them - it's all about what is best for America. Me...me....me...

Again I say I recognize the shortcomings of the U.S. Government policy many times in history. I also recognize a few positive things the U.S. policy has been able to achieve for the good of more than just ourselves.

But here I hope to give some better understanding of the American psyche. While I am only one American speaking for myself I can state clearly and without reservation...I give a damn. It matters not to me which continent, which country (some more than others) I care about what happens, what affects other humans. Whether it be natural disaster or political trials and tribulations, I try to read and understand a bit about what is happening. And then, for what it is worth, I form my opinion as one citizen of the planet. Sorry, I have a bad attitude, I actually think I have a right to my opinion and a right to express my opinion...allowing the reality that, in some countries, my freedom is restricted or does not exist.

You just might have won the award for the most confusing, evasive post of the year, but fortunately for you we have 10 months to go for someone else to put the dunce hat on, just what exactly are you saying?

======================

Sorry if you were unable to comprehend my writing. Bottom line...some Americans care about other world inhabitants, read and are free to form opinions.

Simple enough? Your dunce hat comment is sophomoric. Congratulations you proved your thinking.

The US is getting into a new Cold War mode again.....Never learning from the past...or still living in the past.

World changed.

They have learned from the past.

They won the last cold war.

Didn't they?

That is a rather simplistic view of it, it was more a rejection of communist economy more than the ideology of communism that was rejected by the people. But for the most part one went with the other and the desire for western good and an end to a lot of the day to day problems caused by said economy happened to be primary motivations from the people.

That is what blindsided the government and led to the eventual collapse of the union.