Raspberry Pi 2 released

phazey

Found this *rather* interesting article - Windows 10 to run on RPi2

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/2/7962179/raspberry-pi-windows-10

Why, oh why???

sent from my slimkat 1+ using tapatalk

Well, let's see what it really is... If it's an embedded windows that can run the full .net framework, that opens up hundreds of thousands of open source projects to the Pi, that previously needed lots and lots and lots of porting to work in Linux + Mono. If it's only the compact version of .net, that's not so interesting though.

Windows 10 will run on the Raspberry Pi 2

Microsoft announced today that Windows 10 will run on the Raspberry Pi 2, the latest device from the Raspberry Pi Foundation. It will also be completely free for the Maker community via the Windows Developer Program for Internet of Things.

The Raspberry has won a lot of fans as it’s used by thousands of developers and hobby enthusiasts who want to tinker with the machine to create their own software, or use it for a plethora of projects.

The new version of the Raspberry Pi is a huge upgrade compared with the original model. It has a quad-core CPU that runs at 900 MHz, and a GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) clocked at 250 Mhz as well as 1 GB of RAM. It costs just $35 and will be one of the cheapest Windows 10 PCs you can buy.

In contrast, the first generation Raspberry Pi had a single-core processor running at 700MHz. The more powerful new model allows proper HD (1080p) video at 30fps, as well as support for the the H.264 video format, which achieves very efficient compression and great quality video.

Anyone used one? What could an average user do with the Raspberry Pi that might make it worthwhile buying?

It can do an amazing amount of things, but It's definitely a hobbyist device. If you're not familiar with Linux shell, or programming, it's probably not the device for you (unless you want to learn those).

Anyone used one? What could an average user do with the Raspberry Pi that might make it worthwhile buying?

I use 2 of the old model B Raspberry Pi's

1 with 256 MB of ram runs as a NAS server, Transmission ( bit torrent ) and Myql database for XBMC

the second one with 512 MB ram is running XBMC connected to a 50 inch plasma TV both work rather well.

Setting them up was a "challenge" ( XBMC bit is easiest ) they are slow at times and there are hickups now and again like every computer.

I think I've had my moneys worth out of them they are sold as educational and they are another plus for me is that they are made in the UK.

• Like 1

I use 2 of the old model B Raspberry Pi's

1 with 256 MB of ram runs as a NAS server, Transmission ( bit torrent ) and Myql database for XBMC

the second one with 512 MB ram is running XBMC connected to a 50 inch plasma TV both work rather well.

Setting them up was a "challenge" ( XBMC bit is easiest ) they are slow at times and there are hickups now and again like every computer.

I think I've had my moneys worth out of them they are sold as educational and they are another plus for me is that they are made in the UK.

I have a mk808 for xbmc which is android and easy to get going, is this pi2 pretty simple for a non tech person to install and use xbmc? I see it can be downloaded via kodi website

Yes XBMC would be pretty easy to set up on the Raspberry Pi there are ready made "images"

( http://www.raspbmc.com/ )

that you install to SD card and boot right into XBMC ( it will always be XBMC not Kodi for me )

you then need to configure XBMC to suit your needs

there is a learning curve it is not just plug and play the advantage is ( eventually) you have more of an understanding how things work

and can set things up as you like.

Edited by johng

Yes XBMC would be pretty easy to set up on the Raspberry Pi there are ready made "images"

( http://www.raspbmc.com/ )

that you install to SD card and boot right into XBMC ( it will always be XBMC not Kodi for me )

you then need to configure XBMC to suit your needs

there is a learning curve it is not just plug and play the advantage is ( eventually) you have more of an understanding how things work

and can set things up as you like.

Thanks, I understand how to configure XBMC with add ons etc it was just the slight mystery to me of how XBMC gets on the raspberry. it doesn't look very user friendly to a non tech person. I guess you can't add play store to it as it isnt Android? ideally I'd like to get UK tvcatchup android app on there. the XBMC version isnt working at the moment, the developer has gone awol. Edited by scubascuba3