Condo near CMU

Elijah

Put on your walking shoes, ride your mountain bike or jump on a scooter or motorbike and search the areas around CMU. Everyone has different criteria when choosing a place to live and frankly, the best way to find an apt/condo in CM is to hit the pavement and look at as many places as you can. This way you can evaluate and compare the different options in accordance to what is most important to you.

I stayed in a friend's condo at Hillside 4 last year and found it ideal - red buses pass the front entrance every few minutes, so dead easy to get into the city (unlike Nimman!) Red buses also go up to CMU with similar regularity. Ideal both ways.

Walking distance down to Kad Suan Kaew and up to Maya. There is also a handy back entrance into the condo from Superhighway which enhances the accessibility.

It's an old building and a tad worn. but it was well run, clean, staff were very helpful, gym/pool were good.

I've see ads for it recently around Baht 9000 so it might fit the bill. You can phone them to check for vacancies - website and contacts here

Good luck, hope you find a nice little pad!

How close to CMU do you need and how big do you need? Many CMU students rent cheap apartments along Suthep, mostly under 5000 baht. There are also some older condos between Canal road and the CMU campus, I'm not sure of the price but I think you'll find some under 10000. Either of these locations will put you in easy walking distance of the university. There are also condos on the sois along Nimmanhamin that have studios for under 10000 baht, some much less than that. These are still walking distance, if you don't mind a twenty or thirty minute walk.

Are you content with a small studio and no kitchen? If so you have many choices. If you want something larger with a kitchen you can probably still find condos in the older buildings.

If you want something cheap and convenient your best bet is to talk to CMU students. In this forum you will mostly get advice from people who no longer live the budget lifestyle of a university student.

Edited by heybruce

We live in the Nakornping Condo about 1 KM away. Get your heart rate up each morning walk.We also have most amenities close by.

NKP looks good, I was looking at a room there because of its great location, but then we noticed a lift was down. Unfortunately, as we were leaving a room on the 6th floor, we heard voices in the lift. The manager seemed unconcerned. We called out, and infact, there was indeed someone trapped in the lift, screaming for help in a total state of panic. We had asked them how long the lifts had been down for, and what if someone was in there, prior to going up! I assume they eventually got helped, but the manager acted unconcerned and like this was a daily occurrence and it was off putting.

Edited by Cheesekraft

How close to CMU do you need and how big do you need? Many CMU students rent cheap apartments along Suthep, mostly under 5000 baht. There are also some older condos between Canal road and the CMU campus, I'm not sure of the price but I think you'll find some under 10000. Either of these locations will put you in easy walking distance of the university. There are also condos on the sois along Nimmanhamin that have studios for under 10000 baht, some much less than that. These are still walking distance, if you don't mind a twenty or thirty minute walk.

Are you content with a small studio and no kitchen? If so you have many choices. If you want something larger with a kitchen you can probably still find condos in the older buildings.

If you want something cheap and convenient your best bet is to talk to CMU students. In this forum you will mostly get advice from people who no longer live the budget lifestyle of a university student.

Ok thanks :)

Yes I'am content with just small studio ^^ For the moment I'am in the campaign with bungalow 4500 bath/M it's good :D ^^

I think go Guesthouse for 3-4 days and look condo near CMU.

You know good guesthouse cheap ? near CMU.

There are a few guesthouses in the CMU area, but most of them are in or near the old city. https://www.google.de/maps/search/chiang+mai+guesthouse/@18.7925161,98.9724499,15z I haven't stayed in a guesthouse in Chiang Mai from many years so I can't make any specific recommendations.

You'll have many choices of studios for under 10000 baht. You just need to see what is available and where, then decide which suits your needs and budget best.

Edited by heybruce

Have a check on the following serviced apartments/condos. They're along upper stretch of Huay Kaew Road, ordered according to proximity to CMU entrance:

Malin Residence

Punna Residence (Condo)

Grand Living Residence

V-Residence

Edit: Enquire about their monthly rates, if the websites only show daily rates. You can expect the monthly rates to be much cheaper!

Edited by giibaht

We live in the Nakornping Condo about 1 KM away. Get your heart rate up each morning walk.We also have most amenities close by.

NKP looks good, I was looking at a room there because of its great location, but then we noticed a lift was down. Unfortunately, as we were leaving a room on the 6th floor, we heard voices in the lift. The manager seemed unconcerned. We called out, and infact, there was indeed someone trapped in the lift, screaming for help in a total state of panic. We had asked them how long the lifts had been down for, and what if someone was in there, prior to going up! I assume they eventually got helped, but the manager acted unconcerned and like this was a daily occurrence and it was off putting.

No, the lifts don't go down on a daily basis at NKP. The condo manager is pretty unflappable and on top of things. I suspect what happened was the lift was taken out of service for maintenance and they didn't realize someone was still in there and the manager wasn't too concerned because he knew there was a lift crew in the building who was tending to the situation at that very moment. The building as 24 hour security. Hubby has been in a lift when there has been a power outage and the security staff get people out of the lifts in very short order during those times.

Edited by NancyL

For just a month or two, I would get a good rate on a hotel....that way, you won't have to pay 2 months deposit, or pay double for electricity, and get daily maid service. Especially if you are going to solely be here for the hottest part of the year. More flexibility....being very close to campus will be worth its weight in gold. Traffic up here is pretty horrendous, and even getting from KSK to in your seat in a CMU classroom; you would need to allow up to an hour driving, walking might be a bit quicker, bike somewhat quicker, or you could risk your life on a motorbike. If you are up here, you can easily walk down to Nimman to party in the evenings, but if you live down there, it will be a beast to get to class. The Maya intersection can take 15 minutes to get through, so can Suthep/Canal Rd.. I lost count of how many hot looking uni girls are up here at about 15,000.

^ An hour would be extreme. And would only apply when going by car. Think like a student, he'll get a bicycle. (Or motorbike if he wants to be fancy)

I'd probably pick something off Suthep road, in the part West of the Canal Road. That means you don't have to deal with the intersection with the Canal Road when going to CMU. And in the evening it's not that big a deal to get into town.

• 3 months later...

Don't do it! Behind Punna Residence Soi 6 is BARS, CLUBS, low flying airplanes and are building 3 apartment complex one on each side. Also, they are always remodeling inside so the you hear it on every floor. If you get a room facing the mountain you are struck by heat and have to use a fan or air conditioning. The sun comes directly in and the place gets real warm quick. once you get into a lease your in trouble. They will not let you out of it and they ask between 2 or 3 months. Yep, every night you will hear the loud clubs or construction no matter what side your on. Internet in most units you have to sign a year contract or a 6 month. The penalize you for a 6 month and you have to pay higher rats. They also have a big empty parking lot next to the college disco that they use for big events and the music goes BOOM BOOOM BOOM All Night Long. The front office and guards will lie to you and say it is quiet. It is not! It ls a nice place but if you like paying high prices and hearing noise all day and night this place may be for you. I am moving out and away.