Chinese tourists reportedly flock into Thailand to celebrate Chinese New Year

webfact

Chinese tourists reportedly flock into Thailand to celebrate Chinese New Year

BANGKOK, 5 Feb 2015, (NNT) - The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has projected that Thailand will welcome nearly 900 flights from China during the Chinese New Year celebration from February 18th to 24th, bringing in over 53,000 Chinese tourists this month alone, an increase of 49% on-year.

The TAT is expecting to see around 53,0,000 Chinese tourists visiting Thailand during this year's Chinese New Year celebration, a 47% on-year increase, generating approximately 22.9 billion baht for the local economy, a 54% jump from last year's.

According to the Office, the number of Chinese taking an international trip is expected to double that of last year. It said Thailand is the most popular destination among the Chinese tourists, followed by Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau.

Meanwhile, Thailand plans to promote tourism by joining hands with various airlines opening charter flights in secondary city in China. It also encourages Chinese companies to give out tour packages in Thailand as bonus for their employees. The TAT would also put an emphasis on promoting health & beauty market, a new trend among tourists.

The office also pointed out that the number of single women in China is on the rise, adding that these people usually travel in groups, significantly contributing to the number of Chinese tourists.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-02-05 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

When will TAT learn to stop throwing numbers in the wind. Almost every sentence reeks of hope with nothing to support their claims.

What's more, Chinese traditionally celebrate Chinese New Year in their home towns and villages, not overseas - though perhaps the younger ones may be changing? Even so, it hardly lends credence to TAT's wild optimism.

• Like 2

When will TAT learn to stop throwing numbers in the wind. Almost every sentence reeks of hope with nothing to support their claims.

What's more, Chinese traditionally celebrate Chinese New Year in their home towns and villages, not overseas - though perhaps the younger ones may be changing? Even so, it hardly lends credence to TAT's wild optimism.

I left Hong Kong in 1996 having been there for 20 years and a trend had emerged that some younger people tried to get away over the New Year although their families didn't appreciate it.

Going away for a trip was actually cheaper than all the expense of a traditional celebration as for example getting a haircut went up in price by at least double and that was the least of their expensive worries.

TAT's optimism is, as usual, very wild indeed.

No more anticipating its now expecting 53,0,000 Chinese tourists I was thinking about 7000000 my figure would be better.. Easy figure to come to 7000000 throw my calculator on the floor and jump on it four times and six jumps is the annual figure

• Like 1

The TAT is expecting to see around 53,0,000 Chinese tourists visiting Thailand during this year's Chinese New Year celebration, a 47% on-year increase, generating approximately 22.9 billion baht for the local economy, a 54% jump from last year's.

I hate them , I really do

• Like 1

The noise levels in some BKK hotels is going to be unbearable. These tour group flights always seem to arrive in the early hours and the noise they make when they arrive at 4 or 5 am in the hotel is something else.

• Like 1

Correct me if I am wrong, but, I seem to remember there were a few problems in Thailand during Feb 2014?

Which lead to TAT saying that there would be a reduction in Chinese arrivals, so an increase from last year is plausable.

Would like to see a comparator against 2013 arrivals if anyone has them?

Edited by BigBadGeordie

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The noise levels in some BKK hotels is going to be unbearable. These tour group flights always seem to arrive in the early hours and the noise they make when they arrive at 4 or 5 am in the hotel is something else.

U Ain't kidding.

For Chinese it is a very strong tradition to spend the New Year with family, not take trips abroad. But 1/2 million out of 1.4 billion people isn't so much, but I think the numbers are a bit exaggerated... as usual.