Chevrolet colorado, water as engine coolant?

I skipped past the majority of these comments but water is superior for cooling than coolants or alcohol. The reason most places mix water and coolant is to adjust the boiling and freezing temperatures. Primarily freezing. Coolant requires exceptionally low temperatures (can't remember the exact numbers). This is why coolant is sometimes referred to as anti-freeze.

Generally you'll be fine in Thailand under most conditions running straight water but a real coolant/water mix is safer for your vehicle overall.

I think the coolant also adds some lubrication for the water pump.

"Anti-freeze" stops corrosion, to run an engine without it is daft...............sad.png

• Like 1

As everyone here i had never heard of a modern engine being cooled by water only.

When i bled the Chevy and tasted water i put it on poor Thai maintenance.

When to the shop and bought this coolant :

post-174678-0-14621100-1423292339_thumb.

Changed the lower joint and pored the green coolant.

Then i saw this sticker and started doubting...

Off to the hoo som rot now!

They used to do this in the southern states in good old USA were it never got below freezing . I met a guy from Texas that came to Minnesota one winter and yes his block cracked. This was twenty or so years ago. Wonder if there is some old clunkers out there still doing it.

I was rebuilding a small block Chevy V8 for a friend. Pulled all the freeze plugs to find the block was full of rust. Took ages to blast it all out. Inspecting the bores I could see small black dots in the casting, the rust was that near............w00t.gif

Sure run on only water for years......sad.png

I have never seen nor heard of a vehicle that did not use an antifreeze/radiator fluid mixture vs straight water in a radiator. Straight water has always been a no-no. Usually a 50/50 mixture. The coolant fluid has chemicals that prevent corrosion and has a higher boiling point meaning it can get hotter without boiling over. Straight water....straight wrong.

I'm not exactly sure what to think after reading all the posts on this subject...... It's like this, I have lived in Western Europe for almost all of my life, I have had a car since I was about 18 years of age (I'm now 66) I was a professional driver for 27 of those years. I am 13 years living in Thailand and have had a car or pick-up while I'v been here.....I have never put anything but plain simple water (drinking) in the radiator.........and never ever had a problem with the waterworks....... Had many with my own waterworks though when I used to be a drinker.

I have never seen nor heard of a vehicle that did not use an antifreeze/radiator fluid mixture vs straight water in a radiator. Straight water has always been a no-no. Usually a 50/50 mixture. The coolant fluid has chemicals that prevent corrosion and has a higher boiling point meaning it can get hotter without boiling over. Straight water....straight wrong.

I'm not exactly sure what to think after reading all the posts on this subject...... It's like this, I have lived in Western Europe for almost all of my life, I have had a car since I was about 18 years of age (I'm now 66) I was a professional driver for 27 of those years. I am 13 years living in Thailand and have had a car or pick-up while I'v been here.....I have never put anything but plain simple water (drinking) in the radiator.........and never ever had a problem with the waterworks....... Had many with my own waterworks though when I used to be a drinker.

And myself just the opposite. Tell ya what, dont have to believe me. Just google the subject and let all the mechanics and manufactures tell you, you are incorrect. There are places in the world you run almost straight antifreeze in your vehicle. And even then, it still freezes at night and before starting your motor, you have to thaw out your vehicle with a block heater.

Just google it....try to use straight water in lets say Norway, Alaska or other northern tier areas and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply Ozemade. Yes i borrow the truck from the Thai cousin, i thought the same thing as you with the poor maintenance when i tasted water as engine coolant.

On the other hand the pick up is going very well with its 3336xx kms which is considered high mileage in Europe. No oil leaks, clean engine, so it must be looked after.

We are not used to Chevy in Europe and i am very impressed with this one. Just drove it to Chiang rai and back from Buriram.

Again the sticker on the radiator looks very genuine and according to the GF and Google translate it says : Water only, no antirust...

I will take it to the shop tomorrow.

The main reason for using inhibitor in the cooling water is to protect the Aluminium Cylinder head and or engine block. If plain water

is used a sludge can form which blocks the radiator.

Of course Thailand does not require antifreeze but inhibitors combine both requirements. I do not understand why GM should say ONLY

use plain water !!!

There are places in the world you run almost straight antifreeze in your vehicle.

50/50 ethylene glycol and water protects to -35C. You can go 65/35 to get to -40C but no point.

Even at -57C - when the mixture is frozen, the antifreeze keeps it in a jelly-like state and does not expand, which does the damage when water freezes.

Lived in Yukon since 1980, and the Arctic Islands before that.

There are places in the world you run almost straight antifreeze in your vehicle.

50/50 ethylene glycol and water protects to -35C. You can go 65/35 to get to -40C but no point.

Even at -57C - when the mixture is frozen, the antifreeze keeps it in a jelly-like state and does not expand, which does the damage when water freezes.

Lived in Yukon since 1980, and the Arctic Islands before that.

Yes and please tell these knuckleheads what would happen if you ran straight water hahahahh

I have worked on a few cars here and I have owned 4 different ones. Never seen one with anything but water for coolant. When you have a radiator problem and bring it to the garage, they will refill it with plain water. At first this bothered me, but I come from Canada where anti freeze is an absolute necessity. So I got to thinking that it was only for cold climates. for this reason I have not used anything but water too. If I were to mix some manufactured coolant in my 2010 Ranger, what should I use? It used to be all one type back in Canada, but then new cars started requiring some higher tech stuff. And my truck doesn't indicate what to use.

• Like 1

AS21 and IMHO, thanks a lot for the translation.

My mechanic at the local shop said : Mai pen rai, can use, can use, pointing at the green coolant bottle.

On the way to BigC Surin i stopped in the Chevy shop and asked. What i understood is that coolant can be pored in the expansion tank but when topping up the radiator one should only put water...

So i think overherebc is the winner of todays quizz...

The Chevy coolant was over 1000THB for 4 liters so i passed...

Thanks to everyone who took time to reply.

Edited by nelson bunker
  • Like 1

rPQj0.jpg

Investigating on this on the net i found this picture of a Nissan Maxima water pump.

I will bleed the car again tomorrow and put the fluorescent green stuff in...

I understand the fluorescent stuff is anti freeze, and would be the last thing you put in your radiator.

Coolant is what you should put in or top up with plain water if coolant is already in the system.

20 years ago. Suddenly feel quite old lol

I know it's been less than 20 years since I used it to take out a few nuisance cats coffee1.gif . Not more then 10 to be accurate, it doesn't say they don't use it anymore it says they have an alternative since then, no regs that I know of requiring the change?

They used to do this in the southern states in good old USA were it never got below freezing . I met a guy from Texas that came to Minnesota one winter and yes his block cracked. This was twenty or so years ago. Wonder if there is some old clunkers out there still doing it.

More then 20 years ago, over 40 years ago, I'm from the southern most state and coolant has been used forever since my childhood and more so with the advent of A/C again which happened more then 40 years ago with cars, we don't have to worry too much about freezing but heat is the opposite problem and of course lubrication and corrosion.

rPQj0.jpg

Investigating on this on the net i found this picture of a Nissan Maxima water pump.

I understand the fluorescent stuff is anti freeze, and would be the last thing you put in your radiator.

Coolant is what you should put in or top up with plain water if coolant is already in the system.

"Antifreeze" is also a coolant, it works for both applications, the reason it's fluorescent is a leak indicator to aid in locating any leaks that may develop over time.

rPQj0.jpg

Do they actually sell anti-freeze in Thailand? At least does it say that in Thai? I am sure it would be a tough sell.

I do a fair bit of racing in Canada and the USA. We use exclusively straight water by the rules for circle track and road racing in all of our vehicles. We are also driving them as hard as possible and don't overheat anything. Only way to overheat them is to blow out the water over time until you have nothing left.

Hell, one race I was in I hadn't been prepped on what the gauges meant. Was pushing water out slowly for 19 laps. Finally caught the problem when one number want like before. Water temp was going up by 1*F per lap and I caught it at 241*F. Still had water though and didn't hurt the engine.

It's fine. How much rusting can happen in that closed system? Not much I'd bet.

Also, ingesting rust is a bad idea...

They don't require only water in racing rules in North America, what series? Water Wetter is allowed and often used. Quite honestly a heavily diluted mix of coolant is also allowed in any series I'm aware of in North America be it IMSA, or SCCA.

I do a fair bit of racing in Canada and the USA. We use exclusively straight water by the rules for circle track and road racing in all of our vehicles. We are also driving them as hard as possible and don't overheat anything. Only way to overheat them is to blow out the water over time until you have nothing left.

Hell, one race I was in I hadn't been prepped on what the gauges meant. Was pushing water out slowly for 19 laps. Finally caught the problem when one number want like before. Water temp was going up by 1*F per lap and I caught it at 241*F. Still had water though and didn't hurt the engine.

It's fine. How much rusting can happen in that closed system? Not much I'd bet.

Also, ingesting rust is a bad idea...

So you have never pulled freeze plugs and found rust. You have never seen alloy parts corroded/eaten where water was present..?............Cos I have...For sure it takes a while to occur but it does eventually.

Alloy heads must be protected.

Sorry, for not reading all the posts. Corrosion is the biggest enemy for parts like the water pump, etc....

So you do need coolant if you want to be on the safe side.

The sticker does say only water, but it seems that it's meant that people don't fill in engine oil, power steering oil, etc...

The sticker does not say that you do not need coolant. Cheers.-thumbsup.gif

• Like 2