What's the customs&excise for muffler sent from overseas?

What’s the average customs & excise charge on a muffler sent from overseas? Value around 7000b.

I believe it should be about 30% but that they often demand 30% of what they say the value is. Then some more, if they so choose.

I have it addressed to my Thai wife, contents listed as a ‘gift’ and they will print out the address in Thai and stick it on (less likely to extort one of their own).

What have people paid for a muffler worth less that 10k baht in import tax/customs & excise?

Also, what should we expect, that it will be delivered to the house, or that we will get a call and told to pick it up at some depot?

Thanks.

I once bought slip-on's mufflers for a HD, 30% import tax. It's some years ago and they cost app 300US$. I picked them up at the post office.

I just bought a Zumo GPS from the USA, app 450US$ but they send it as a gift and I paid 220 bath (import tax) to the UPS delivery guy when he dropped it off at my house.

So sending it as a gift seems like a good idea.

30 percent officially. and they add 30 percent to the actual price plus shipping cost!

but mostly they apply 20 percent somehow. My last two purchases got 20 percent only, maybe they were in a good mood.

And sometime if you are lucky, it just passes.

Edited by ll2

I once bought slip-on's mufflers for a HD, 30% import tax. It's some years ago and they cost app 300US$. I picked them up at the post office.

I just bought a Zumo GPS from the USA, app 450US$ but they send it as a gift and I paid 220 bath (import tax) to the UPS delivery guy when he dropped it off at my house.

So sending it as a gift seems like a good idea.

Sending as a gift often only works if it is a small and/or light package.

30 percent officially. and they add 30 percent to the actual price plus shipping cost!

but mostly they apply 20 percent somehow. My last two purchases got 20 percent only, maybe they were in a good mood.

And sometime if you are lucky, it just passes.

Correct. + 7% VAT over the total amount.

So hopefully the most I will be looking at is 37% of the total cost (shipping included).

Total cost including shipping is 7000 baht.

/ 100 x 37 = 2590.

So 2,600 baht.

I'd be happy with that.

If it comes for less, even better.

When they (post office) puts their own value you on it be prepared with your receipt and copy of payment method. They will then send it back to bkk for review and price adjustment...

So hopefully the most I will be looking at is 37% of the total cost (shipping included).

Total cost including shipping is 7000 baht.

/ 100 x 37 = 2590.

So 2,600 baht.

I'd be happy with that.

If it comes for less, even better.

When they (post office) puts their own value you on it be prepared with your receipt and copy of payment method. They will then send it back to bkk for review and price adjustment...

My last two purchases were sent directly to the closest post office and I paid the extra 20 percent tax there.

I had mine shipped by post, in a plain box with no company logos, labeled as "gift," value $49, no insurance on package, and there was no tax or duty. Just delivered to my door. If you ship by FedEx or UPS, you'd better grease yourself up and prepare to take it in the shorts.

I import a lot and never pay tax.