Phuket govt team seizes beach vendor's illegal gear

Lite Beer

Phuket govt team seizes beach vendor's illegal gear
Eakkapop Thongtub

1423208252_1-org.jpg

A volunteer clears mats and pillows from the beach while a tourist couple snooze on, unaware of what is happening.

PHUKET: Local government officials today (February 6) confiscated 57 pieces of beach furniture laid out by a vendor on Surin Beach.

The newly appointed Thalang District Chief, Weera Kerdsirimongkul, and his deputy Samran Yukunthon led a group of local administration officials,Cherng Talay OrBorTor and military volunteers on a sweep of both Surin and Laypang beaches aimed at keeping both clear of illegal vendor activities.

They were also on the lookout for illegal construction that might have sneaked back onto the beach since dozens of bars and restaurants were demolished in June, July and August last year.

The team seized 28 mats and mattresses, 24 pillows, and five beach umbrellas, all belonging to a woman called Surin Buasri, who had laid them out on the beach for tourists to rent.

She was told that if she wantde to retrieve her belongings she must first go the Cherng Talay OrBorTor office and pay a B2,000 fine.

Tourists who were already lying on mats rented to them were not disturbed.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-govt-team-seizes-beach-vendors-illegal-gear-50916.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-02-06

• Like 1

I wonder what will happen when the hot season arrives in March April , no umbrella for you.

Stay away......Go to an umbrella friendly country.coffee1.gif

100% correct Boss--seems easy doesn't it.

I personally believe we developed a language because of our deep and inner need

to just complain.”---Jane Wagner

To be fair Surin actually broke the rules. She laid out her stuff on the beach.

As far as I can see, the new rules are she can rent her stuff from an off beach location but she cannot lay these same items out on the beach in anticipation of someone renting them.

The idea of course is to stop these types of people attempting to 'own" part of the beach

I reckon its a good plan

I think she will get her gear back if she pays the fine. Me, I would not give it back.

I wonder what will happen when the hot season arrives in March April , no umbrella for you.

According to the rules nothing will happen mate

The vendors sell or hire their gear from an off beach location and you the buyer or renter carry it down to any part of the beach you like.

Not like before where you had to pay extra to get a bit of beach you wanted.

This op shows that the plan is working

It would probably work better without your criticism

Regards

• Like 1

According to the rules nothing will happen mate

The vendors sell or hire their gear from an off beach location and you the buyer or renter carry it down to any part of the beach you like.

Not like before where you had to pay extra to get a bit of beach you wanted.

This op shows that the plan is working

It would probably work better without your criticism

Regards

pay a deposit worth the price of the umbrella, since one can walk away with it...seen the beachfronts occupied by hotels in the realm?

She got just a 2000 Baht fine? Not much of a deterrent, considering the money which can be made with this.

2000 baht fine plus lost revenue while not renting out the gear plus the pain of having to pick everything up. One can only hope the fine will be steeper next time. Considering that some offenses result in like a 100 baht fine this is a good start.

She'll happily go to police station to pay the "huge" 2000 baht fine... then hot foot it back to the beach where she can make that back in 5 minutes!!!

Better deterrent would be to burn the said items..

cause her more cost for replacement & time off the beach while she goes shopping !!

BYO

Really? I can't say I've ever packed a beach umbrella and sun lounger any time I've gone on holiday!

The authorities need to be sensible about this and allow some vendors to rent these items to those who wish to use them. Just keep them neatly stored away until someone rents one and not set them up all over the beach in the hope people will rent them all.

BYO

Really? I can't say I've ever packed a beach umbrella and sun lounger any time I've gone on holiday!

The authorities need to be sensible about this and allow some vendors to rent these items to those who wish to use them. Just keep them neatly stored away until someone rents one and not set them up all over the beach in the hope people will rent them all.

They can rent them out.