Where do the middle aged, retired 30 to 50k a monthish western males live?

sidjameson

ordinary people in this age supposed to work and not to be a parasite of the society !!

Massive gaping ass hole has just dropped its deposits.

Perhaps the massive gaping hole is in his head--ordinary people, especially at 47, rarely have enough money to live well in retirement, but one doesn't have to be a parasite to society, many seek a minimalist lifestyle to exist; and according to TV posters, many enjoy that lifestyle. See my response to Costas-- #30--for other options.

• Like 2

ordinary people in this age supposed to work and not to be a parasite of the society !!

What the F...?! In what manner are young retirees 'parasites of the society'? Someone who is retired has savings, personal income via investments or business and has already paid their dues to the government. The only thing we are taking is what is deserved and what we earned. There was and is not an age requirement to stop working, at least none that I've come across.

Do people read what they write before they submit a thought online?

With regard to the OP question, I'm 39, currently live in Patong off of a 45K baht per month. I live in a 2 bedroom, 1 bath, full Thai kitchen with a front sitting/TV room for 15K +3K utilities a month. I also employ a live in assistant/caretaker for 15K a month and still have enough for food and fun times.

--Pitts

• Like 2

Parasites?

What u will say to this? Im 42 yes 42 and retired already.... !!! u think im a parasite?

Some jobs have retirment early like military. So please think twice before u call army boys parasites for the job they did out there somwhere so u can eat hamburger at mcdonalds or travel and live in thailand.

Police and fire dept have early too... all respect to all u out there still young and retired...enjoy! We deserve.

30K to 50K is enough to live anywhere in Thailand even Bangkok as a single male and have a perfectly good time assuming you're not a regular to the gogo bars and enjoy p4p.

I'm 30, single, live in a nice condo in Bangkok (13K a month + 2k for bills), and pretty much never stay in at night (was out every night last week and 6 the week before) going out for dinner, drinks, dates, cinema, social meet ups etc, eat wherever I want (often big tables full of Thai food or Western grub), drink a lot, don't think twice about what I'm spending my money on, buy (inexpensive) clothes and bits and pieces for my condo frequently etc.

Can't even spend 50K a month. If you drink less than me (quite likely) and stay home a couple nights a week you'll spend much less.

When I hear of single guys spending upwards of 50K a month it makes me wonder how they manage it.

I've also lived in Bangkok on less than 30K a month before. Wasn't that much of a hardship really but you won't be out every night and have to watch what you eat and drink with little money to spend on non essential items.

Are you talking baht here or U$? It would be interesting to see your budget. If you're on 30K baht (which I doubt) 50% goes on rent and bills.

Leaves you with ฿3500 a week for meals drinks, transport, dates. Good luck!

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

HHow exactly are they parasites? If I'dstuck out the police in the UK I would have qualified for retirement aged 49. Even in my current position through shrewd investment I expect to be retired with 4-5 properties by aged 55. My grandmother died of a stroke aged 62 and my mother was recently diagnosed with early stage dementia aged 54 so I'll be damned if I'm working into my 60s if I can avoid it.

30K to 50K is enough to live anywhere in Thailand even Bangkok as a single male and have a perfectly good time assuming you're not a regular to the gogo bars and enjoy p4p.

I'm 30, single, live in a nice condo in Bangkok (13K a month + 2k for bills), and pretty much never stay in at night (was out every night last week and 6 the week before) going out for dinner, drinks, dates, cinema, social meet ups etc, eat wherever I want (often big tables full of Thai food or Western grub), drink a lot, don't think twice about what I'm spending my money on, buy (inexpensive) clothes and bits and pieces for my condo frequently etc.

Can't even spend 50K a month. If you drink less than me (quite likely) and stay home a couple nights a week you'll spend much less.

When I hear of single guys spending upwards of 50K a month it makes me wonder how they manage it.

I've also lived in Bangkok on less than 30K a month before. Wasn't that much of a hardship really but you won't be out every night and have to watch what you eat and drink with little money to spend on non essential items.

what visa have you got????

What has that got to do with the topic ? Mind yer own business Bernie smile.png

It has everything to do with his budget. If you are under 50 in this country, visa travel and all the expenses related to it can add up to big bucks annually and must be planned for in advance.

• Like 1

what visa have you got????
What has that got to do with the topic ? Mind yer own business Bernie smile.png

It has everything to do with his budget. If you are under 50 in this country, visa travel and all the expenses related to it can add up to big bucks annually and must be planned for in advance.

Yes, but he was not asking the OP. He was quizzing someone who replied with their spending stats.

Thailand is far too expensive.

I wouldnt agree tooo expensive but yes not cheap anymore like it was.

There are cheaper and much more "visa frindly" places to retire or stay longer.

And u pay there same prizes as everyone else there not like here cuse u white u pay more and nw even more in national parks to visit.

Way too much overprized things. All will end with time for thaiand less and less people tourist and retirees couse they will find other better places to live.

If you forget about living in a high class area on Sukhumvit in Bkk and live in the suburbs of Bkk I believe it is as cheap or cheaper than anywhere else in Thailand if you have self control except rent will be a bit cheaper. In Muang Thong Thani, 30 mins off Sukhumvit,in the taller condos with 2 bedrooms & 1 bath with a bit under 60 sq meters the rent is B10K a month or a tad less. All up with electric/water around B13K. That leaves you +/-B35K a month. Granted you will have to be sensible but you should be in good shape. If you do choose to get out of the Bkk area I would not move more than a maximum of a 4 hour car ride away and would try to keep that to a 2 hour car ride. That leaves lots of nice places with cheap rent. In my humble opinion, while things have changed and changing more, it is always better to live in Bkk or near by. Most everything is easier in Bkk in the long run. I have seen lots of guys move to "Nakorn Nowhere" several hundred kms from Bkk and the majority of them spend their time trying to convince their mates how happy they are but they seem to spend a large amount of their time coming to Bkk. Good luck

• Like 1

Can live very simply and carefully anywhere in Thailand for 50K THB. However, I am surprised any Westerner would want to unless he is escaping from the law or that is all he will ever have.

What you can not regularly do..

have refrig

have regular air con

have a gf or even a rental.

be able to live in more than one room, often shared bath.

take many taxi rides

have a steak

tour without walking.

OH so much more you cant do..... This budget is for a beer alcoholic who goes into a fast stupor nightly and awakens too sick to eat. Got the idea ?

I spend approximately 4000 baht / day . I stay at the Marriott or Sheraton for a couple of weeks each month. The 4,000 baht a day is enough for food and entertainment. If you're an expatriate from Pattaya you can get accommodation for 5000 baht a month.

I don't know how you live in Pkt and Bkk on 30k. 50k is more realistic. Phuket is the best place to live.

Udon Thani was a lot of fun when I was last up there and it's significantly cheaper than the above. The nightlife has really improved and the women...

Remember it takes some money to get set up where ever you are. Deposits, motorbike, furnishing a house, etc.

• Like 1

Many people are retired at 40+. if someone joins the military at 18 and travels the world, has a great life. retire with full pension and medical for life at 38 yrs old. sure you can join the reg work force as a consultant and make lots more money , or you can be retired for a while until you decide if its what you want or do something else.

I'm also 42 and have been in a similar boat for a while now. buy at least one income property for some extra money. Keep your toes in the sand year round. Life does not have to be as hard as the media tells you it has to be. you can choose to get off the merry go round of spend all your credit to be a slave to corperations.

I think its great that others have done some smart planning. not popular or thought joining the forces young was foolish at a young age? Retired with full boat pension at 40 and traveling the world the rest of your life. Funny who is Envied and who is laughed at later in life vs a foolish kid lol

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I manage very well & i have a great life with my Thai lady on 35,000 baht per month,JUST CUT THE HEAVY BOOZING & CLUBBING OUT?

Are you talking baht here or U$? It would be interesting to see your budget. If you're on 30K baht (which I doubt) 50% goes on rent and bills.

Leaves you with ฿3500 a week for meals drinks, transport, dates. Good luck!

47, retired/unemployed and with an income of 30 to 50K?

Why did I go so wrong in my life?

Should have met you before to teach me the secret of life.

Anyway, why don't you consider the sticks in Issan......enough money for you to go along........

My my Costas, you really need to be taught. Money is not the secret of life, but proper planning may be. Any 47 year old should be able to manage USD 900-1600/mo if they have: a decent investment portfolio after 25-30 years of investment, a 25-30 year military/police/fireman pension, a state-sponsored disability pension, or a pension from any other organization which offers 20 or 30 year retirements without age requirements. Where did you, and apparently so many others, go wrong?

although slightly off topic one wonders how western govts of all shades are going to fund pensions, particularly for the millions and millions of

former public service workers of all kinds, army, police, fire, national health, local govt, prison staff, etc etc + colossal welfare benefits system come 30 yrs or so?

• Like 1

If you forget about living in a high class area on Sukhumvit in Bkk and live in the suburbs of Bkk I believe it is as cheap or cheaper than anywhere else in Thailand if you have self control except rent will be a bit cheaper. In Muang Thong Thani, 30 mins off Sukhumvit,in the taller condos with 2 bedrooms & 1 bath with a bit under 60 sq meters the rent is B10K a month or a tad less. All up with electric/water around B13K. That leaves you +/-B35K a month. Granted you will have to be sensible but you should be in good shape. If you do choose to get out of the Bkk area I would not move more than a maximum of a 4 hour car ride away and would try to keep that to a 2 hour car ride. That leaves lots of nice places with cheap rent. In my humble opinion, while things have changed and changing more, it is always better to live in Bkk or near by. Most everything is easier in Bkk in the long run. I have seen lots of guys move to "Nakorn Nowhere" several hundred kms from Bkk and the majority of them spend their time trying to convince their mates how happy they are but they seem to spend a large amount of their time coming to Bkk. Good luck

You can easily live on Sukhumvit Road walking distance to the BTS for under 15K a month. I know guys renting 5K apartment in the area. Sure they aren't the nicest of places but they are liveable if on a budget. You might struggle to find decent places in Asoke or Nana for under 15K but for me those aren't areas to live anyway, too much bullsh*t. Thong Lor and Ekkamai, whilse being good areas just aren't good value for money and overpriced for condos.

No need to be away out in the suburbs though.

Can live very simply and carefully anywhere in Thailand for 50K THB. However, I am surprised any Westerner would want to unless he is escaping from the law or that is all he will ever have.

What you can not regularly do..

have refrig

have regular air con

have a gf or even a rental.

be able to live in more than one room, often shared bath.

take many taxi rides

have a steak

tour without walking.

OH so much more you cant do..... This budget is for a beer alcoholic who goes into a fast stupor nightly and awakens too sick to eat. Got the idea ?

Even the 5K apartments have fridges and aircon. Never heard of anyone having a shared bathroom.

If you've got 50K a month to spend you can easily spend 15K a month on a condo and live very well off the rest.

Like I say I spend about 15K a month on rent and bills and go out near every night. Can barely spend 50K.

On 30K you're more limited and aircon won't be on all the time, steak won't be regular , taxis are doable, you probably will live in a studio, Girlfriend and giks entirely possible if young and not a social retard,

• Like 2

47, retired/unemployed and with an income of 30 to 50K?

Why did I go so wrong in my life?

Should have met you before to teach me the secret of life.

Anyway, why don't you consider the sticks in Issan......enough money for you to go along........

My my Costas, you really need to be taught. Money is not the secret of life, but proper planning may be. Any 47 year old should be able to manage USD 900-1600/mo if they have: a decent investment portfolio after 25-30 years of investment, a 25-30 year military/police/fireman pension, a state-sponsored disability pension, or a pension from any other organization which offers 20 or 30 year retirements without age requirements. Where did you, and apparently so many others, go wrong?

although slightly off topic one wonders how western govts of all shades are going to fund pensions, particularly for the millions and millions of

former public service workers of all kinds, army, police, fire, national health, local govt, prison staff, etc etc + colossal welfare benefits system come 30 yrs or so?

The benefits will no doubt decrease while the taxes levied will increase.