US envoy snubs NLA's foreign affairs committee

webfact

US envoy snubs NLA's foreign affairs committee
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- US charge d'affaires in Thailand Patrick Murphy has declined to meet with the National Legislative Assembly's foreign affairs committee on Wednesday.

According to the United States, there is no regulation that allows it to send the charge d'affaires to talk to the NLA.

Chukiart Rattanachaichan, the NLA spokesman, yesterday said: "The US Embassy has already informed the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that the charge d'affaires could not attend the meeting."

He said that the NLA had been informed about the decision and understood the reasoning behind it. He said that the NLA had hoped to exchange views with Murphy as it had done with officials from a number of embassies, including Switzerland, Australia and Hungary.

Chukiart said that the NLA would not try to arrange another meeting with Murphy.

Last week a speech by Daniel Russel, the visiting Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs, added to the diplomatic tension between Thailand and the US after he called for a "broader and more inclusive" political process.

Subsequently, Murphy met with Deputy Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai to talk about the top official's speech.

It appears the tension remains despite the US not returning to the issue.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/US-envoy-snubs-NLAs-foreign-affairs-committee-30253666.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-09

NLA had been informed about the decision and understood

well well well, ... the NLA 'understands'... the MFA finally has some one who "understands", just not the people they want to "understand" nor the topic they want to have "understood"...

what a hoot.

• Like 1

NLA had been informed about the decision and understood

well well well, ... the NLA 'understands'... the MFA finally has some one who "understands", just not the people they want to "understand" nor the topic they want to have "understood"...

what a hoot.

Does this simply mean they understand that Murphy won't meet them but not understand or accept that he dares to do so ?

The next round of anti-US and ' wounded hearts ' comments are likely to start anytime now.

• Like 1

I guess this is yet another push to Thailand into China's arms. The USA is acting like a child with their self serving interests.

right,

just pointing out the elephant in the room to the Thai 'government' in the nicest of ways and then not reacting to the current right-wing nationalist fascists and their summons is 'acting like a child'...

ok, if you say so... coffee1.gif

You can pin labels all you want but it doesn't change the fact that this is the current gov and controls Thailand. The US should address them even if they don't like who or how this happened if they want to keep Thailand as a friend. Either way with China offering their kindness (hehee) and the USA ignoring them it is easy to see who will be Thailand's newest closest friend. The USA should be considering this.

And your point is what exactly? Thailand is so strategically important. Losing Thailand is going to be a loss for the USA.

The Junta is believing its own propaganda.

It thinks it has a 100% track record - so far, whenever it has rounded up people for "Attitude Adjustment" talks, all have been released come away with a good "understanding". These hundreds of people even include representatives from Switzerland, Australia and Hungary.

Unfortunately, the Govt confuses "understands" with "agrees with".

• Like 1

It thinks it has a 100% track record - so far, whenever it has rounded up people for "Attitude Adjustment" talks, all have been released come away with a good "understanding". These hundreds of people even include representatives from Switzerland, Australia and Hungary.

I think it's more like the Junta confuses "understands and agrees with humouring.

we all know face is important in Thailand but it looks like it is also important to the US, after all, we cant expect the US to explain themselves as even they dont have a clue what they are doingw00t.gif

I guess this is yet another push to Thailand into China's arms. The USA is acting like a child with their self serving interests.

right,

just pointing out the elephant in the room to the Thai 'government' in the nicest of ways and then not reacting to the current right-wing nationalist fascists and their summons is 'acting like a child'...

You can pin labels all you want but it doesn't change the fact that this is the current gov and controls Thailand. The US should address them even if they don't like who or how this happened if they want to keep Thailand as a friend. Either way with China offering their kindness (hehee) and the USA ignoring them it is easy to see who will be Thailand's newest closest friend. The USA should be considering this.

And your point is what exactly? Thailand is so strategically important. Losing Thailand is going to be a loss for the USA.

Bangkok's whole back and forth between Beijing and Washington has become rather tiresome. Is Thailand not an independent nation ? Does it really need protection from a super power, or does it just want something? It looks as though the junta is dragging its feet in restoring the rights to its people, covering up the fact with one childish spat after another.

• Like 1

Not at all they just don't want to deal with unelected governments and those who force the will on their people. I guess you are one of those people who defends Thailand on everything whether right or wrong.

By the way I am not American but agree on what they are doing distancing themselves from an undemocratic government that promised elections early and have now gone back on their word with elections even later than first said. I can foresee relations getting worse in the next few months.

Actually I neither support and defend nor do I disagree with what has happened here. My opinion is unimportant and changes nothing. The USA has dealt with other countries that have unelected gov. They are trying to impose their will on Thai people who don't care. Putting the USA in a bad light and making Thai people have sour feelings to America and Americans. The USA needs to keep channels open because the junta will not be here forever. Also, elected or unelected the USA knew the gov here was corrupt and knew that civil war was near. They didn't care and remained at a distance. So whatever happens next the USA is making happen by their actions or inactions.
  • Like 2

right,

I think they are. The U.S. knows well that there is no free lunch with China. Take a look at China's terms for the RR loan to Thailand and you will begin to understand how "giving" China is.

An inappropriate and off topic post has been removed from view, along with some good associated replies. Apologies to the members with the appropriate replies.

Please, stay on topic. This isn't about events 50 or 100 years ago. And please abide by forum rules.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

right,

I think you don't know the meaning of fascists....But of course not every country can be a lighthouse of democracy and liberal human rights like the best friend of USA: Saudi Arabia...

• Like 1

I think it's more like the Junta confuses "understands and agrees with humouring.

Just about the whole world. Colonialism does not necessarily mean having troops in other countries (Australia, Germany, Japan, Italy, Croatia, Korea, ...) or setting up puppet governments (Afganistan, Iraq, Ukraine, Libya, Egypt, ...) or "soverign" governments not being able to make even economic decisions on their own (Mexico, Japan, Germany, ...), or not adhering to the principal laws of the country because US does not like them (Switzerland). It has morphed over the centuries and it has a different form now. The whole world is a slave to US dollar.

• Like 1

Why don't the Americans look back at their track record of installing their brand of democracy on other sovereign states.

Not a particularly successful set of achievements was it, is it ?

So perhaps the inability or the unwillingness of the American envoy to actually appear and explain his governments comments indicate that the truth is becoming unpalatable to the Americans in general and their governments control freak colonial aspirations.

America, put your own house in order before you start ordering other sovereign states around.

their governments control freak colonial aspirations.

Please provide me with the list of countries that America has colonized. coffee1.gif

Very good question, so I thought I would use Google as I had no idea either.

The funny thing was, as I attempted to type 'countries America has colonized' in the search box, the auto suggest feature automatically came up with 'counties America has invaded' as its number 1 choice :)

Anyway, try it, the results are rather interesting.

• Like 1