Magic Thai Monk simmers in stew pot

webfact

the elders of the religion will not denounce this stunt

I doubt that! Most abbots will distance themselves from this carry on.

But they don't seem to - in all the large Bangkok temples I have visited they have a whole range of ridiculous sideshows based on animist superstitious claptrap and involving "donations" to the temple. Shaking sticks, spinning wheels, releasing birds, releasing fish, buying amulets, ringing bells, pouring oils, tossing coins, renting yellow buckets, lighting candles, tying ribbons, etc etc No throwing balls to win coconuts,or darts into playing cards to win a teddy bear, or tossing pingpong balls into jars, but otherwise very close to a country fayre.

As I try to understand Buddism, these sideshows have very little to do with the faith, and everything to do with collecting money from gullible people, who often cannot afford it, or publicly demonstrating a pride in donating money so that others can admire .

Edited by bangon04
  • Like 2

The meek will always believe in religious hocuspocus, whether it's miracle healings at Lourdes, "weeping" statues or "invincible" Buddhist monks sitting in "boiling" oil.

The monk certainly is fully aware that he is basically cheating, and that makes him a despicable scammer preying on naive religious worshippers - at least in my eyes.

I suggest subjecting this scammer to a scientific test under controlled conditions and immerse him in real boiling oil. Let's see how "invincible" he truly is. We all know the result, don't we?

The meek? In my opinion it is the unbelievers who are full of fear. Belief in a in spiritual matters or a "higher power" is a sign of strength IMHO.

Men of spiritual strength CAN do things like this - who are you to say this monk is a fake? I've witnessed my father in law sticking his hands in boiling oil and it was no scam.

Edited by Neeranam

It's time to grill him about his money making stunt not boil the Scumbag.

You're ready do the real thing? I prepare a wok for you.

A word of advice - never publicly criticize people with powers, especially monks - I've witnessed some bad things happening to those who have.

Religion and business and the Show, its an unique combination, amazing what people with weaker faith can and does to fall for these stunts.

it reminds me the quote from Now you see me..

"The closer you think you are, the less you'll actually see."

Good to see Thailand moving rapidly into the 16th century and still believing in magical powers. Well done. Religion(s) like this are the con of the millenia.

Amazing someone in the 21st century can disclaim that magical powers don't exist when there are so many things that scientists cannot disprove, even after centuries.

Do you really believe that certain monk or yogis etc can't control their bodies? You are showing your ignorance in this post.

Do you know how many years there have been in this millennium?

A 100% scam! Apart from the obvious fact that a human can't sit in +/-220°C boiling (sunflower) oil, just look how far he sitting out of the "oil" and look at the bottom of the pot. It's pretty clear it's a double skinned pot with a considerable space between the bottom he is sitting on and the bottom where the flames are touching.

BTW, different oils boil at different temperatures so I just took sunflower oil as a generally used cooking oil for reference.

• Like 1

Good to see Thailand moving rapidly into the 16th century and still believing in magical powers. Well done. Religion(s) like this are the con of the millenia.

Amazing someone in the 21st century can disclaim that magical powers don't exist when there are so many things that scientists cannot disprove, even after centuries.

Do you really believe that certain monk or yogis etc can't control their bodies? You are showing your ignorance in this post.

There are many things that can't be proven scientifically, but all of the "magic" that is typically claimed here is easily explained scientifically.

That "control" over the body you mention does exist in some form or another by some people, but that is most defintely not the case here, and I would go as far as to say that if you really do believe that monk is sitting in actual boiling oil as claimed, well, you used the word "ignorance" which suits that belief quite aptly.

And you are correct, I should have said "since the beginning of time" rather than millennia.

• Like 1

"Amazing someone in the 21st century can disclaim that magical powers don't exist when there are so many things that scientists cannot disprove, even after centuries."

Please, some examples!

​It would take forever to address all of the ridiculous believed by gullible people throughout history, or even just today.

Myths do not need to be disproved, they need to be proved.

Virgin births...proof?

Walking on water...proof?

Waiting..for proof, not disproof.

By the way..your post is very interesting.

​to disclaim that magical powers don't exist would be to prove they do exist....do you understand double negatives?

How many years have there been in this millennium??

How many days have there been in this week?

If you know when it started and you can count...you got it!

I must agree..

There is some ignorance showing in your post.

Edited by willyumiii
  • Like 1

"Amazing someone in the 21st century can disclaim that magical powers don't exist when there are so many things that scientists cannot disprove, even after centuries."

Please, some examples!

​It would take forever to address all of the ridiculous believed by gullible people throughout history, or even just today.

Virgin births...proof?

​to disclaim that magical powers don't exist would be to prove they do exist....do you understand double negatives?

I must agree..

Go on tell me how many years have been in this millennium. I don't believe you actually know.

Please, some examples!

Virgin births...proof?

I must agree..

Go on tell me how many years have been in this millennium. I don't believe you actually know.

It depends which viewpoint you take on what is a millennia, 15 years would be the most common answer if you're talking about this current millennium.

Not saying what he is doing is real, but simply based upon the image, it appears that there are bubbles rising up from the oil (to the left of his body). Nor does the fact that he may be not be kneeling directly upon the hot metal is not an automatic debunk either. Anyone who has done any cooking will know that the stuff at the bottom of a metal pot can burn while the rest that is merely simmering in the liquid does not. So he may be insulated from the bottom of the pan by a wooden platform.

As the scientist said, the only way to test the display is to measure the temperature of the oil. As for what a human can endure :

In 1775 Charles Blagden, Secretary of the Royal Society, entered a room heated by a furnace to at least 260°F (around 127°C). At this temperature the ‘greatest part of a beefsteak was pretty well done in 13 minutes’ and eggs that were removed after 20 minutes were found to be ‘roasted quite hard’. Yet Dr Blagden and his colleagues were unharmed by an 8-minute exposure and their core temperature did not change. Furthermore, their dog, wrapped in a blanket to protect its feet from burning on the floor, remained there for 30 minutes and was ‘little so affected during the whole time as to show signs of pleasure whenever we approached the basket’. Blagden and colleagues showed that the reason humans and dogs are able to survive such heat is owing to evaporative cooling, either from sweating, as in the case of humans, or from panting, as in the case of the dog.

Frances Ashcroft, University of Oxford.

Amazing how many people here like to have a go at anything Thai. As Shakespeare said " there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy"

To not believe in mind over matter is ignorant. Look at the Shaolin monks, yogis in India etc. Through meditation one can block out pain totally.

Edited by Neeranam

Oh...No...tell me it is not true...dog and cat stew...now Magic Monk stew...don't breathe a word of this to the Cambodians or Vietnamese...Monks could become as scarce as dogs and cats in those countries...