US envoy 'unaware' of ex-PM's asylum report

webfact

Let her go to Dubai. End the divisions.

And let Thailand be run by 2 convicted criminals, I don't think so.

What has Yingluck been convicted of, so far ?

Being Thaksin's sister.

Abuse of power - and removed from office by a court. Impeached and banned from politics. We await her trial now,

Yes I do, and the US comment on her asylum application would make the discussion of Yingluck's right to asylum on topic, obviously.

Why are posters talking about 'asylum'??? She's a crook, a thief does not seek asylum, a criminal seeks a bolthole. Not the same, is it.

Indeed. But many former despots who ran corrupt regimes have bolted to some country or other, after hiding away billions in Swiss banks or similar, and squealed asylum.

I don't think her brother will let her do a runner. Asylum would be be good as then she's a martyr; keeping her here and let her be punished and she's a martyr to some; allowing her to run to him or somewhere safe? Nah, not so much use to him then.

• Like 2

If she wanted political asylum, her high level advisors could arrange it through the US Embassy. She might qualify considering that she is pursued by a junta using martial law which the US considers illegal.

All she'd have to do is to walk into the embassy, but how she'd get out of there and travel I don't know.

No way would she qualify.

As the envoy has stated:

Murphy also reiterated that the United States does not take sides in Thai politics.

Although you are misguided in thinking the US doesn't take part in any countries politics you also seem to forget the US has already laid claim that her impeachment and criminal case are politically motivated in which case the US could use to justify granting political asylum. The army is justified in watching her as her family has proven to be a flight risk as well as considering the possibility she may flee with the US's help.

No they never said that. Mr. Russell was very clear and careful in his choice of words. They used words like might, could be perceived, and in the current circumstances, suggesting how it might appear to some. That is very different from laying claim to.

Although pushing for a return to democracy as quickly as possible the US have never openly supported the Shins, Yingluck or their regime or demanded it reinstatement - even thought Thaksin stooges like Surapong tried to involve the US and UN and get their endorsement.

I recall how the US assisted Ferdinand Marcos.

Hypothetically speaking, if Ms Yingluck were to apply for and be granted asylum by the United States, wouldn't that chance pushing the current government even farther into China's corner? I think that result would be the opposite of what the US would want.

If she were to apply for asylum, it might be better for all parties concerned that she go to a neutral state.

Do you not realize that the only countries who view the coup as being legitimate are dictatorships? The legally elected party was ousted by a military coup but planned by the opposition party. What chance does she have of a fair trial if the people putting her on trial are her political opponents? Not necessarily any, and that is just one reason that she is eligible for asylum.

Do you not realise that the topic is

"BANGKOK: -- THE US chargé d'affaires said yesterday he was unaware of reports that former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra was seeking asylum in the United States and declined to comment on the matter."

We have other topics on trials for Ms. Yingluck.

What is with you, ruble? Have we reached a point when only you can declare what the topic is and what others may post? You were answering a post that was reaching a conclusion about why Yingluck might be eligible for asylum and you don't see the relationship to the OP but rather scold the poster?

Are you in charge of this thread?

I too believe that Yingluck is eligible for asylum because she is being charged and faces trial by in illegal junta which is comprised of her political opponents and the junta doesn't have international approval. It is seen as illegitimate that that has been said by many countries and condemned by the UN.

Without "taking sides" in Thailand's situation, the US could still give Yingluck asylum as a humanitarian issue due to the junta's lack of international standing and a perception of a political witch hunt.

Yes, I believe if Yingluck walked into the US Embassy she would be granted asylum.

Now go ahead and chew me out for whatever you perceive is "wrong" with my right to post.

• Like 1

Hypothetically speaking, if Ms Yingluck were to apply for and be granted asylum by the United States, wouldn't that chance pushing the current government even farther into China's corner? I think that result would be the opposite of what the US would want.

If she were to apply for asylum, it might be better for all parties concerned that she go to a neutral state.

Thailand's "threats" and other comments about China are a bluff. The US and by default Japan have huge industrial investments in Thailand and account for many jobs, a big dent in the GDP, and much of the export numbers. The US provides Thailand's military with arms. The US has a treaty to defend Thailand any time it might need it.

Maybe the current government is dumb enough to think that China would safely replace those issues. If it is, it is really dumb. If it isn't then it should S**U because it is driving the US and Japan away.

Lets not forget the lives that were lost due to the financial hardship that she and Her brother orchestrated!!

As for Political asylum. She would need to have;

"A well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion"

She is not being persecuted for her political opinion, unless CORRUPTION is now classified as a political opinion!!

Haha

She is being denied permission to travel abroad until she has faced the charges against her in a court of law.

Not unreasonable considering her family history of flight and total reluctance to face the music for their crimes!!

Do you not realize that the only countries who view the coup as being legitimate are dictatorships? The legally elected party was ousted by a military coup but planned by the opposition party. What chance does she have of a fair trial if the people putting her on trial are her political opponents? Not necessarily any, and that is just one reason that she is eligible for asylum.

"BANGKOK: -- THE US chargé d'affaires said yesterday he was unaware of reports that former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra was seeking asylum in the United States and declined to comment on the matter."

Yes I do, and the US comment on her asylum application would make the discussion of Yingluck's right to asylum on topic, obviously.

Why are posters talking about 'asylum'??? She's a crook, a thief does not seek asylum, a criminal seeks a bolthole. Not the same, is it.

Actually she hasn't been convicted of anything. Normally it is wise to have the execution after the court case and not before. Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

What is with you, ruble? Have we reached a point when only you can declare what the topic is and what others may post? You were answering a post that was reaching a conclusion about why Yingluck might be eligible for asylum and you don't see the relationship to the OP but rather scold the poster?

Are you in charge of this thread?

I too believe that Yingluck is eligible for asylum because she is being charged and faces trial by in illegal junta which is comprised of her political opponents and the junta doesn't have international approval. It is seen as illegitimate that that has been said by many countries and condemned by the UN.

Without "taking sides" in Thailand's situation, the US could still give Yingluck asylum as a humanitarian issue due to the junta's lack of international standing and a perception of a political witch hunt.

Yes, I believe if Yingluck walked into the US Embassy she would be granted asylum.

Now go ahead and chew me out for whatever you perceive is "wrong" with my right to post.

I can only say that Ms. Yingluck is welcome to go to the US Embassy on Wireless Rd. here in Bangkok and ask for amnesty. Why wait till tomorrow, today is Friday 13th.

As for 'chewing out', maybe you should ask for amnesty as well, as you seem to feel persecuted in your right to post?

I keep reading all this about the USA wants Thailand to return to Democracy. First; USA is a Republic and the Congress (Senate/House) even the President are not even elected in a Democratic System, just like Thailand the majority of the voters are those on the take and pay little or no taxes, they control who gets elected. A lot of them not only do not pay taxes, but in the US, are illegal immigrants.

Secondly; USA and a lot of other countries do not know, understand or really even care how corrupt this place had become. There are a lot of good people here who also do not fully understand either.

General/PM keep flushing the device until the water is clean !!

Isn't it strange how the old corrupt rice scheme of the Democrat Party was delayed from trial for so long and then acquitted without explanation, yet Yingluck's very similar scheme, is passing through the courts with so little hindrance and massive press coverage?

If you really think the General is out to rid Thailand of corruption and not just out to rid Thailand of the the Red Shirts, then you really need to sharpen up.

I am sure that with your superior knowledge you can itemise the differences between the Democrat and the PTP rice schemes. But of course if you cannot.......

Indeed. But many former despots who ran corrupt regimes have bolted to some country or other, after hiding away billions in Swiss banks or similar, and squealed asylum.

I don't think her brother will let her do a runner. Asylum would be be good as then she's a martyr; keeping her here and let her be punished and she's a martyr to some; allowing her to run to him or somewhere safe? Nah, not so much use to him then.

Thaksin needs a sacrificial lamb and who better than his own sister?

Lets not forget the lives that were lost due to the financial hardship that she and Her brother orchestrated!!

"A well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion"

She is not being persecuted for her political opinion, unless CORRUPTION is now classified as a political opinion!!

Haha

She is being denied permission to travel abroad until she has faced the charges against her in a court of law.

Not unreasonable considering her family history of flight and total reluctance to face the music for their crimes!!

Please try to get your facts correct. Yingluck dissolved parliament, nobody else, she made no provision to repay the debts owed to the farmers., was obviously unaware that after it is dissolved NO caretaker government is allowed to take on any new debts. She wanted a new election but didn't listen to any outside advice other than her brother and his sycophants in the dissolved government was was eventually removed by the courts.

The Army took over a few days later but please don't let any facts get in the way or your version of the truth especially if you don't agree with the facts.

I like how you missed out your beloved anti democracy brigade barring people from voting in the election that was held. How do you justify forbidding the people of Thailand from choosing their ruling party? Is it by the same justification as them, that democracy failed THEM?

I keep reading all this about the USA wants Thailand to return to Democracy. First; USA is a Republic and the Congress (Senate/House) even the President are not even elected in a Democratic System, just like Thailand the majority of the voters are those on the take and pay little or no taxes, they control who gets elected. A lot of them not only do not pay taxes, but in the US, are illegal immigrants.

Secondly; USA and a lot of other countries do not know, understand or really even care how corrupt this place had become. There are a lot of good people here who also do not fully understand either.

General/PM keep flushing the device until the water is clean !!

Isn't it strange how the old corrupt rice scheme of the Democrat Party was delayed from trial for so long and then acquitted without explanation, yet Yingluck's very similar scheme, is passing through the courts with so little hindrance and massive press coverage?

If you really think the General is out to rid Thailand of corruption and not just out to rid Thailand of the the Red Shirts, then you really need to sharpen up.

I am sure that with your superior knowledge you can itemise the differences between the Democrat and the PTP rice schemes. But of course if you cannot.......

Yes I can, shame you are too dim to understand the difference between a comparison of the schemes and a comparison with how their faliure is subsequently dealt with. Never mind mate.

• Like 1

Haha

Please try to get your facts correct. Yingluck dissolved parliament, nobody else, she made no provision to repay the debts owed to the farmers., was obviously unaware that after it is dissolved NO caretaker government is allowed to take on any new debts. She wanted a new election but didn't listen to any outside advice other than her brother and his sycophants in the dissolved government was was eventually removed by the courts.

The Army took over a few days later but please don't let any facts get in the way or your version of the truth especially if you don't agree with the facts.

I like how you missed out your beloved anti democracy brigade barring people from voting in the election that was held. How do you justify forbidding the people of Thailand from choosing their ruling party? Is it by the same justification as them, that democracy failed THEM?

Two polling stations were blocked. And some Southern areas didn't get election paperwork. The rest of Thailand voted!

My wife voted. If you're married or have a Gf I'm sure she voted. Don't let facts get in the way of a good story though!!!

• Like 2

Two polling stations were blocked. And some Southern areas didn't get election paperwork. The rest of Thailand voted!

My wife voted. If you're married or have a Gf I'm sure she voted. Don't let facts get in the way of a good story though!!!

I didn't say they barred everyone, I said they barred people from voting, millions of people were denied their chance to vote.

In Bangkok two were physically chained shut by the PDRC, but another 34 were also forced to shut by the mob of protesters, which is more than half of Bangkok's polling stations.

Nationwide 23% of polling stations were closed.

I can only say that Ms. Yingluck is welcome to go to the US Embassy on Wireless Rd. here in Bangkok and ask for amnesty. Why wait till tomorrow, today is Friday 13th.

As for 'chewing out', maybe you should ask for amnesty as well, as you seem to feel persecuted in your right to post?

It's not amnesty. It's asylum. Please try to stay on topic.

To be fair Rubl, telling people what to write about does make you a tw@t.

Well thank you for your kind words.

Mind you, I'll not telling people what to write about, I only remind people what the topic here is.

Yes, we all know that the topic is "amnesty."

I didn't say they barred everyone, I said they barred people from voting, millions of people were denied their chance to vote.

In Bangkok two were physically chained shut by the PDRC, but another 34 were also forced to shut by the mob of protesters, which is more than half of Bangkok's polling stations.

Actually it was " Almost 500 of Bangkok's 6,671 polling booths were closed and people in nine provinces in the south were also unable to cast their votes." Yinglucks government knew about the south and didn't really bother about it due to them believing THEY would get minimal votes. Don't get me wrong, blocking votes should NEVER of happened. But when discussing it at least keep to the truth!

Source : Guardian

Edited by casualbiker

Actually it was " Almost 500 of Bangkok's 6,671 polling booths were closed and people in nine provinces in the south were also unable to cast their votes." Yinglucks government knew about the south and didn't really bother about it due to them believing THEY would get minimal votes. Don't get me wrong, blocking votes should NEVER of happened. But when discussing it at least keep to the truth!

Sorry, the confusion is over actual polling stations and constituencies. 34 of Bangkoks constituencies had no vote, this numbered 488 stations.

What is the difference between the Bangkok situation and the stations in the south, other than the fact that you know that much of the south is an opposition stronghold?

Sorry, the confusion is over actual polling stations and constituencies. 34 of Bangkoks constituencies had no vote, this numbered 488 stations.

What is the difference between the Bangkok situation and the stations in the south, other than the fact that you know that much of the south is an opposition stronghold?

Absolutely nothing in the terms that the election was affected. Lots when you consider not a lot was actually done to rectify the southern problem of no ballot papers!

I personally don't like any power hungry politicians whether their names Suthep, Thaksin or Silpa-Archer (or any others) they are all bad for Thailand and the Thai people!

Haha

I am glad that you noticed that.

It makes up for all the bits that I mentioned that YOU missed out in your posts. I can be one sided just like you.

It is so easy to do isn't it, especially as in your post you claim that the Army ousted the PTP which is NOT true at all so how can you justify stating that as though it is a fact?

Actually you have not refuted anything I said, just ignored it.

I suppose it could be true if you can post some links to prove what you say.

Edited by billd766

It's not amnesty. It's asylum. Please try to stay on topic.

I doubt you will believe me, but this was a real and honest mistake. Too many topic with similar issues. I guess I confused one with the other.

Excuses wai.gif

Absolutely nothing in the terms that the election was affected. Lots when you consider not a lot was actually done to rectify the southern problem of no ballot papers!

I personally don't like any power hungry politicians whether their names Suthep, Thaksin or Silpa-Archer (or any others) they are all bad for Thailand and the Thai people!

I don't know about the missing ballot papers issue, but there were also protesters blocking polling stations in the south.