Yingluck not required to appear before court on Feb 19

webfact

Yingluck not required to appear before court on Feb 19

283253-imagepng-442399-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- It not necessary for former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra to appear before the Supreme Court on Feb 19 when the Office of the Attorney General (OAG) is scheduled to officially indict her for alleged neglect of duty not taking action to stop damage from her government's rice-pledging scheme, National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) secretary-general Sansern Poljiak said on Thursday.

When asked whether Ms Yingluck was required to appear before the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions on Feb 19 when the OAG was scheduled to indict her in court.

Mr Sansern said although the NACC had sent letter to Ms Yingluck telling her to report to the OAG on Feb 19, the OAG could go ahead to indict her in the Supreme Court without her presence if she did not show up.

Ms Yingluck’s presence in the first hearing will be compulsory after the court has set up a panel of judges to handle the case.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/yingluck-not-required-appear-court-feb-19

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-12

Well if it's going to be as suggested a one way trip to the U.S.A. she might not be able to have enough time or more likely the inclination to secure a ticket back to Thailand to actually appear in court.whistling.gif

Another fine mess ! Yesterday it was said she had been ' asked ' to attend, another report said ' requested '. In normal usage both asked and requested can be met with a refusal but I wondered about the reaction if she did ignore the letters.

Today it says the letter ' told ' her to report but later it's clarified that she doesn't have to.

If have no idea how much is lost in translation but if accurate it show attitudes and procedures are lax, to say the least.

Surely someone facing indictment on serious charges should be present unless ill or ' unavailable ' but as ever TIT !

• Like 1

Another fine mess ! Yesterday it was said she had been ' asked ' to attend, another report said ' requested '. In normal usage both asked and requested can be met with a refusal but I wondered about the reaction if she did ignore the letters.

Today it says the letter ' told ' her to report but later it's clarified that she doesn't have to.

If have no idea how much is lost in translation but if accurate it show attitudes and procedures are lax, to say the least.

Surely someone facing indictment on serious charges should be present unless ill or ' unavailable ' but as ever TIT !

I think they are clarifying that she would still be prosecuted either way if she shows up or not. This way, the indictment won't be delayed as that is the most common tactic these politicians will use to steer themselves out of trouble.

• Like 1

I dont see why they only have this one case against her. Surely consorting with a known and fleeing convicted felon is illegal. Aiding and abetting? Surely more charges could be made against her and not only with just the rice scheme.

As for her appearance. If even one judge is present to accept the charges and case against her then she should be arrested and made to pay bail. A few billion baht would be enough given her flight risk.

Any other person facing criminal charges would be arrested and made to pay a bail or bond to ensure their appearance to the hearings.

Edited by thesetat2013
  • Like 1

The process in thailand is that the defendant does not have to appear at this stage. This is the equivalent to the preliminary hearing and the court will decide if there is probable cause. The prosecutor will submit evidence but defendants cannot submit evidence at this stage. If the court decides there is probable cause, then the next hearing will be set and the defendant needs to attend to be formally charged and to plead guilty or not guilty. Bail will also be set at this point.

There can also be a number of procedural delays between the hearings and the process can take multiple months.

• Like 2

The process in thailand is that the defendant does not have to appear at this stage. This is the equivalent to the preliminary hearing and the court will decide if there is probable cause. The prosecutor will submit evidence but defendants cannot submit evidence at this stage. If the court decides there is probable cause, then the next hearing will be set and the defendant needs to attend to be formally charged and to plead guilty or not guilty. Bail will also be set at this point.

There can also be a number of procedural delays between the hearings and the process can take multiple months.

Great system for those with the money to retain legal representation to stretch things out.

Ridiculous,when is this country going to grow a pair I wonder. Yingluck is nothing more than a private citizen now and has been impeached and banned from politics for 5 years. It is martial law <deleted>, they might as well treat her like everybody else or simply leave her be. The special treatment hiso's eeceive here is a national disgrace, it should be the first thing the people demand. 2 tier justice is sickening anywhere, especially here where the prison systsem is so chaotic. Despicable

Removing the two tier system would mean putting the Generals right hand man in prison for murder.

Ridiculous,when is this country going to grow a pair I wonder. Yingluck is nothing more than a private citizen now and has been impeached and banned from politics for 5 years. It is martial law <deleted>, they might as well treat her like everybody else or simply leave her be. The special treatment hiso's eeceive here is a national disgrace, it should be the first thing the people demand. 2 tier justice is sickening anywhere, especially here where the prison systsem is so chaotic. Despicable

Removing the two tier system would mean putting the Generals right hand man in prison for murder.

I didn't know Thaksin was the Generals right hand man

• Like 2

Hmmm, would that also mean charging Taksin with crimes against humanity for the deaths of the 90 peaceful protesters in the south and the 3000+ extra judicial killings of suspected drug dealers so that the police could gain full control of the drug trade?

Why not? The point is that the General is unlikely to put his best mates in prison, so the two tier system will continue.

Absolutely correct.

Now please state specifically who you are talking about and if this person has been charged with murder, sent for trail, been judged and sentenced to jail.

If you cannot or will not give ALL the details then may I politely suggest that you are talking rubbish.

Remember the old story of being innocent until proven guilty?

• Like 1

Not familiar with Suthep's history? The current two tier system protects guilty people on both sides.

Absolutely correct.

Now please state specifically who you are talking about and if this person has been charged with murder, sent for trail, been judged and sentenced to jail.

If you cannot or will not give ALL the details then may I politely suggest that you are talking rubbish.

I am talking about Suthep, but you fail to understand the issue, for it is the two tier system which prevents some from ever being found guilty or even if they are, from ever being sentenced.

The way some complain about the 'junta' I got the impression Ms. Yingluck is treated like anyone else blink.png

Absolutely correct.

I am talking about Suthep, but you fail to understand the issue, for it is the two tier system which prevents some from ever being found guilty or even if they are, from ever being sentenced.

... but ... but ... but the topic is about Ms. Yingluck and her case of "negligence" to be started at the Supreme Court for Political Office Holders.

• Like 1

I dont see why they only have this one case against her. Surely consorting with a known and fleeing convicted felon is illegal. Aiding and abetting? Surely more charges could be made against her and not only with just the rice scheme.

As for her appearance. If even one judge is present to accept the charges and case against her then she should be arrested and made to pay bail. A few billion baht would be enough given her flight risk.

Any other person facing criminal charges would be arrested and made to pay a bail or bond to ensure their appearance to the hearings.

Add to that the issue of her government, through her cousin the Foreign Minister, issuing a new passport to a fugitive that just happened to be her brother. I'm baffled over why she hasn't been dragged to court over that.

I'm baffled over why the Governmet hasn´t revoked his passport already.

• Like 2

Not familiar with Suthep's history? The current two tier system protects guilty people on both sides.

This tread is not about Suthep.

Surely more charges could be made against her and not only with just the rice scheme.

There are many more charges against her. The water management scheme has also been found to be riddled with corruption It's simply people are only focusing on the rice.

The thread is partly about the two tier system as that is what will protect Yingluck in the end, and as that two tiered system is also what has protected Suthep for so long allowing him the freedom to plan this coup and take Yingluck to trial, you will see that it is about Suthep just as much as Yingluck.

The way some complain about the 'junta' I got the impression Ms. Yingluck is treated like anyone else blink.png

It remains to be seen whether she is perceived to be as 'anyone else' by the current admin. If Yingluck is, as it is widely thought, allowed to flee/escape prosecution, this would, in my view, be the true test of whether this country has any hope of joining the civilized world or remain forever in it's feudalist patronage drenched past. Democracy cannot even begin to take root in a country which perpetuates either.

It remains to be seen whether she is perceived to be as 'anyone else' by the current admin. If Yingluck is, as it is widely thought, allowed to flee/escape prosecution, this would, in my view, be the true test of whether this country has any hope of joining the civilized world or remain forever in it's feudalist patronage drenched past. Democracy cannot even begin to take root in a country which perpetuates either.

I'm not questioning what you write, but I'm not completely sure I understand. Therefore, for my understanding please elaborate a bit.

You think the true test would be a possible 'let go' of Ms. Yingluck? If I see this correct then you still need to more clearly indicate if you see the 'let go' as offering hope to join the civilised world, or if you see the 'let go' as remaining in it's feudalistic patronage system.

Thank you wai.gif

The thread is partly about the two tier system as that is what will protect Yingluck in the end, and as that two tiered system is also what has protected Suthep for so long allowing him the freedom to plan this coup and take Yingluck to trial, you will see that it is about Suthep just as much as Yingluck.

Come on, the topic is on Yingluck. Nothing on Suthep. nothing on Abhisit, Thaksin or Somchai. Ms. Yingluck should be happy, a topic only for her.

• Like 1

I'm not questioning what you write, but I'm not completely sure I understand. Therefore, for my understanding please elaborate a bit.

You think the true test would be a possible 'let go' of Ms. Yingluck? If I see this correct then you still need to more clearly indicate if you see the 'let go' as offering hope to join the civilised world, or if you see the 'let go' as remaining in it's feudalistic patronage system.

Thank you wai.gif

Not to be pedantic but I didn't use the words 'let go' I said 'allowed to leave', which seems more appropriate given the current rumours swirling around, not least in the country's major newspaper. If she is allowed to escape the upcoming very serious charges against her in that she was party to Thailand losing 7 trillion baht it will send a very strong message to the rest of the world that this country is indeed a very long way from ever being able to call itself civilised and it's stated aim of working towards a democracy would be dashed. Thailand may very well call itself 'Thai style democracy' but someone should tell them that like truth, there is only one, and it is universal. They can stamp their tiny feet all they like, they will still be perceived as they always have done: Third World, if they allow this chance to prove they truly care about justice for all (which is the cornerstone of any democracy anywhere) slip away, again.

• Like 1