Chiang Mai bus stops

RichardThailand

They are a space to place advertising. I've been known to use them as a landmark to for meeting friends, as in "I'll meet you at the bus shelter on Huey Kaew near The Dome Residence". Very thoughtful of whomever to arrange them for that purpose. It would be even more thoughtful to actually have a public transportation system.

• Like 2

Back in the Jurassic period on many a dark rainy London night, bus shelters were useful places for having a snog with a girlfriend, a lot cheaper than having a snog on the rear seats at the movies. So even if there are no actual bus routes that serve these shelters, they still have their uses.

A photo of these curiosities would be nice. smile.png

Anyone?

i dont know how many times i am going to have to show you how to do this. it seems that having learning difficulties is a prerequisite to being a farang living in chiang mai http://goo.gl/maps/OVKja

That's the very one -- the one on Huay Kaew near The Dome Residence. Gads, some people need a seeing eye dog.

Anyone?

i dont know how many times i am going to have to show you how to do this. it seems that having learning difficulties is a prerequisite to being a farang living in chiang mai http://goo.gl/maps/OVKja

Thanks a million Mr Goat. If I ever make it to Chiang Mai I have to look you up for some quality time.

Those shelter seats are very dirty. Who would want to sit there and wait for a non-existent bus? They also hinder pedestrian traffic. All such 'shelters' should be ripped out, as should all the crap advertising merchants push onto the pedestrian walkways. I am thinking especially of XXX and YYY, two food/drink merchants on Huey Kaew Road, near SaiJai Soi, next to that be-ribboned and 'for rent' shop. Why can these merchants force me to walk onto the busy street becoz they are blocking the path?

Yeah, and while i am here ranting i strongly dislike the huge upgrade in raucous noise from the evening street beer/snack vendor next to 7-11, across from KSK. 8 months ago, he was on a motorbike, had two small tables, tiny speaker, served cans of beer. Now, quadruple all the above, esp the noise in the evening. Why should he get the right to annoy me, or you, so easily?

• Like 1

Actually I applaud his effort and ingenuity. One may patronize the establishment at ones' choice, keep on trucking', or even buy your own at 7-11

and camp out on the steps and enjoy the music free of charge. Taking a few steps left or right to avoid it is not too much to ask. As for the noise, TIT.

There are many countries worldwide with thousands of shopping plazas surrounded by sterile pavements where such an establishment would be impossible due to expense, insurance and licensing. Drinking on the street an offence. There young people such as those behind this establishment would rather not start a business, instead choosing to remaining idle, seeking a handout from government (taxpayers).

Fortunately this is not such a country. If the Thais were so annoyed by this place this kid and his bar would be driven away forthwith. Likewise, as soon as I get tired of dodgy pavements, casual drinking bars, unused dirty bus shelters, noise, and all the rest I will back my bags and go. As I said there are many many places around the world with clean orderly cities where every little regulation and rule is followed. Thousands of shopping plazas surrounded by sterile even pavements free of raucous music and pedestrian hindrances. I would rather have freedom of choice and personal responsibility over the heavy hand of bureaucrats and traffic wardens.

Edited by arunsakda
  • Like 2

Anyone?

Right, though the OP mentioned "New Looking" and those bus stops have been there for over 20 years.

They date back to when Chiang Mai had several city bus lines in regular service.

• Like 1

Yeah, and while i am here ranting i strongly dislike the huge upgrade in raucous noise from the evening street beer/snack vendor next to 7-11, across from KSK. 8 months ago, he was on a motorbike, had two small tables, tiny speaker, served cans of beer. Now, quadruple all the above, esp the noise in the evening. Why should he get the right to annoy me, or you, so easily?

Has nothing to do with his right, it is simply your choice to be annoyed.

Anyone?

Right, though the OP mentioned "New Looking" and those bus stops have been there for over 20 years.

They date back to when Chiang Mai had several city bus lines in regular service.

No actually, the circa 2008 bus shelters were looking rather tatty, so many of them have been replaced recently.

rabid old goat -- thanks for posting that map. Hubby and I arrived as newly minted retirees in late 2008. One day we decided we'd figure out the bus system, so we sat in a shelter on Huey Kaew and tried to puzzle out that map while we waited for a bus. We decided we'd get on the first bus that arrived and just ride around. We were new to retirement and had time on our hands. What's the worst that could happen? We sat for over an hour and never really did figure out the map -- mainly because "North" isn't up. A bus never came by, either. The bus service had been discontinued by then.

At least now I've been here long enough that I totally understand that map.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

I read last week on these pages the annoyance some expressed seeing some woman's underwear on the airport seats. Some folks are annoyed seeing the chinese kids pissing on the sidewalk or in the potted plant. Some folks are annoyed by drunk drivers weaving in and out of traffic.

And when the airport begins the 24 hour service, you will read on these pages the moaning and groaning of many woken at 2,3 and 4 in the morn as the jets zoom out overhead heading for china.

Sure i'm all for ingenuity and free-lance employment but have also learned that the Thais are generally extremely timid and very reluctant to express personal opinion, even if highly annoyed. Many folks are little more than sheep, bow the head and march on. Join the herd.

Send me your address and i'll open a dog kennel next door to you. It's your option to be annoyed, or not, so no complaints, please.

• Like 1

As I understand it these 'bus shelters' are just for the few walkers to rest in the shade and nothing to do with buses.

I still find it odd that someone found the cash to buy them and I have never seen anyone use them.

No doubt the contract was beneficial to someone in some way.....

I don't know if it's similar but in the smaller city (70K population) of a friend of mine someone came up with the idea of installing benches for bus stops when there is no bus service in the city.

He managed to get permission from the city with the understanding he would place his own advertising on the benches. A win/win for everyone.

Do you know if these bus shelters are equipped with electronic monitors indicating when the next two buses are arriving?

And can we pay the fare with a stored value electronic card like the Octopus card launched in 1997 in Hong Kong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know if these bus shelters are equipped with electronic monitors indicating when the next two buses are arriving?

And can we pay the fare with a stored value electronic card like the Octopus card launched in 1997 in Hong Kong?

Seniors can get a free bus pass. wink.png

Seniors can get a free bus pass. wink.png

To where?!