Your experience of Health Retreats

georgegeorgia

A know there a lot of health retreats advertised and some of them are pricey and promise everything.

Whats your experience in a retreat ?

I know there are some just for drug addiction but im after more a retreat or camp that focuses on self improvement or deppression motivation etc.

Seems to me that a lot are based in that Chiang Mai area as well.

If it promises you everything, I think you already know the answer.

I know some people who have gone to meditation camps though and many seemed to enjoy it. Probably not solely because of the meditation, but because it is a nice way to relax and escape the hectic world we live in for a week or two.

Edited by inbangkok

u would be better off using the money to have a relaxing hideaway holiday ,armed with the right books and Videos/docos etc , cheaper and you will learn to cope yourself ...these retreats are after one thing only...MONEY .... if not they would be doing it for free !!! lots of free stuff available and qulaity material... pm me if u need any resources

u would be better off using the money to have a relaxing hideaway holiday ,armed with the right books and Videos/docos etc , cheaper and you will learn to cope yourself ...these retreats are after one thing only...MONEY .... if not they would be doing it for free !!! lots of free stuff available and qulaity material... pm me if u need any resources

Your probaly right...I am thinking of going up to the issan area to cope with an anxiety disorder I sometimes get and to get away from things.

I think with an anxiety disorder you should really consider a meditation retreat and having a look into mindfulness - check out Jon Kabat-Zinn and Sharon Salzberg are good starting points go check out some videos on youtube and read some of their stuff it will certainly help you if you stick to a program of meditation and a retreat would be a good one to thrown you in at the deep end

I'm not sure isolating yourself in a rural area is the best solution to your problems

Yeah thankyou. .i will check out their youtube vids.

You may be right about the retreat

My weakness is if there are too many problems going on in my life...i like to run away..go somewhere away from the problem...get on a bus or plane and turn off the phone and forget until i go back in a few weeks.

I think this is anxiety? Maybe theres a panic disorder ???? Im not sure...but rather than think a good outcome of a problem i think the worst and even catastrophic it.

Maybe i should see a psychiatrist because i cant keep on running to other places.

Sounds crazy i know

Edited by georgegeorgia

I had the worst massage I've ever had in my life at a well-known health spa near Hua Hin. It was also the most expensive. Masseuse admitted she was untrained.

Nice grounds, but monstrously overpriced for what was on offer. I would never go back and suggest a thorough check by reading all the reviews of any place you have in mind, especially health resorts that advertise heavily and have big marketing budgets.

If you are in Chiang Mai..the best way to get into meditation is a short time meditation class in English. That the way I started when I visited Chiang Mai 5 years ago, with similar problems do you have now.

I still doing it by myself and it is very helpful. Changes my life in many wonderful ways.

Look in www.monkchat.net It is the English meditation class connected with the CMU. Let me know if you need more info. Take care.

post-183983-0-55408300-1424062544_thumb.

Edited by umbanda

There are some very good Western counselors in Thailand, see the pinned Mental Healht thread.

For mediation retreats see www.dhamma.org and follow the menu to get listings in Thailand, but from what you describe you might do better to first get into therapy and get your anxiety under control before trying a serious meditation course.