Selling my vehicle, new rules?

herkycan

Have heard a rumour that any farang selling a vehicle here needs a letter from immigration, any truth to this? Have had no problem selling in the past, just give the buyer a passport copy and the sale form and that's it.

Anyone had this issue?

Just did this yesterday in Korat. Seller, Farang, had to have immigration resident letter. Having said that, must also say that seller signed a "power of attorney", and did not show up in person. Last year I bought a motorcycle in Nong Khai. Seller Farang went with me to office and did not need letter, only passport. I needed letter from immigration.

Just did this yesterday in Korat. Seller, Farang, had to have immigration resident letter. Having said that, must also say that seller signed a "power of attorney", and did not show up in person. Last year I bought a motorcycle in Nong Khai. Seller Farang went with me to office and did not need letter, only passport. I needed letter from immigration.

I know of two "farangs" who have Thai citizenship and do not need any such letter to sell their vehicles

Seems like you and the op are full of bs. Perhaps you mean "non-Thai nationals need the letter???

Edited by Eliot Rosewater
  • Like 2

You should have a certificate of residence from immigration.

Having said that, I used a copy of a British Consulate letter with no problem

It's a lottery.

I went to immigation on Wednesday to get the certificate of residence and had to supply a copy of my passport - two photo's - and proof of where I live.i.e house book or utility bill in my name etc. Cost Bt300 and had to wait under 30 minutes to get my letter. When went to vechile reg dept to change ownership had to produce letter plus again copy of my passport. Hope that helps

• Like 1

Thanks gentlemen, guess I am off to immigration and see what happens. Wish me luck!

Anything you do in Thailand with regard to a vehicle, either buy or sell, either a car or a motorbike...requires a RESIDENT CERTIFICATE from immigration. This includes adding or deleting a name from the owner books.

Edited by oneday

I know of two "farangs" who have Thai citizenship and do not need any such letter to sell their vehicles

Seems like you and the op are full of bs. Perhaps you mean "non-Thai nationals need the letter???

A Farang with Thai citizenship is an exception not the norm, typically it is considered the Farang does not have citizenship so pull your head in and stop being an A-Hole.

but if you want to play the pedant game Farangs who have work permits also are not required to have a residence letter in their possession.

I don't think I'm being an "A-hole" by pointing out how ridiculous using the term "faring" in this instance is.

I'm pretty sure the same rules would apply to an Indian, African, or someone from another E. or S.E. Asian country.

Using the term like that just highlights the stupidity of some people. It is completely unnecessary.

• Like 1

Recently I sold my old car and bought a new car. I needed 2 residency certificates from Jomtien Immigration office, one for the sale and the other for the purchase of the new car.

Unfortunately whenever these residency certificates are required they insist on originals, won't accept photocopies, also the certificates have an expiry date, I believe it is 30 days.

A 'Letter of Residence' for a farang used to cost 300 baht at Phuket Immigration - but a spokesmen for that office has indicated they are now free ( and always should have been)

Oh no , I used the word 'farang' !

I hope Eliot doesnt have a little hissy fit! 555

• Like 1

A 'Letter of Residence' for a farang used to cost 300 baht at Phuket Immigration - but a spokesmen for that office has indicated they are now free ( and always should have been)

No hissy fit; just shows that you don't understand what the word actually means

Exceptions or no; "farangs" CAN be Thai citizens and foreigners CAN be "non-farang" so very silly and ignorant choice if word in this scenario:)

• Like 1

Thanks gentlemen, guess I am off to immigration and see what happens. Wish me luck!

Anything you do in Thailand with regard to a vehicle, either buy or sell, either a car or a motorbike...requires a RESIDENT CERTIFICATE from immigration. This includes adding or deleting a name from the owner books.

However this is fairly new.. I have sold many many vehicles up to maybe 3 or 4 years ago with just passport copies and signed the transfer form and power of attorney and let the buyer do it all..

Recently I sold my old car and bought a new car. I needed 2 residency certificates from Jomtien Immigration office, one for the sale and the other for the purchase of the new car.

Unfortunately whenever these residency certificates are required they insist on originals, won't accept photocopies, also the certificates have an expiry date, I believe it is 30 days.

Many offices (speaking for ones I know, bangkok chiang mai and Phuket) will accept one letter and make a witnessed copy in house, stamped by their own stamp..

Most people doing bike and car licenses for example piggy back both license apps on one letter..

Jomtien must just be hard work..

I normally use a monthly bill from AIS, that is sent o me at my residential address. It shows my name and address. Take along three or four past bills, IE. Feb 2015, Jan 2015, Dec 2014 and NOv 2014.

I have never had a problem doing it this way. I was even acepted for my Extebtion of Stay last year.

A Farang with Thai citizenship is an exception not the norm, typically it is considered the Farang does not have citizenship so pull your head in and stop being an A-Hole.

but if you want to play the pedant game Farangs who have work permits also are not required to have a residence letter in their possession.

Wow! You forced me to give you a thumbs up, usually you're the one making comments like that. coffee1.gif

Exceptions or no; "farangs" CAN be Thai citizens and foreigners CAN be "non-farang" so very silly and ignorant choice if word in this scenario:)

Farang (Thai: ฝรั่ง [faràŋ]) is a generic Thai word for someone of European ancestry, no matter where they may come from. The Royal Institute Dictionary 1999, the official dictionary of Thai words, defines the word as "a person of white race".

Farang (Thai: ฝรั่ง [faràŋ]) is a generic Thai word for someone of European ancestry, no matter where they may come from. The Royal Institute Dictionary 1999, the official dictionary of Thai words, defines the word as "a person of white race".

Who cares? some guys are so childish with their nit-picking... the 'farang' debate can be discussed in one of the many repetitive 'farang' topics - Or start the same 'farang' topic for the hundredth time....

This thread is about whether or not an Affirmation of Residence is required to sell a vehicle.

Back on Topic:

I sold a car in November and didn't require the Affirmation of Residence. It was my understanding that only the buyer, if a foreigner, is required to show either his Affirmation of Residence, Work Permit or house book.

That said: the DLT may have simply overlooked that I had not presented the Affirmation of Residence document - As someone mentioned, its always a bit of a lottery.

• Like 1

Who cares? some guys are so childish with their nit-picking... the 'farang' debate can be discussed in one of the many repetitive 'farang' topics - Or start the same 'farang' topic for the hundredth time....

This thread is about whether or not an Affirmation of Residence is required to sell a vehicle.

Back on Topic:

I sold a car in November and didn't require the Affirmation of Residence. It was my understanding that only the buyer, if a foreigner, is required to show either his Affirmation of Residence, Work Permit or house book.

That said: the DLT may have simply overlooked that I had not presented the Affirmation of Residence document - As someone mentioned, its always a bit of a lottery.

" This thread is about whether or not an Affirmation of Residence is required to sell a vehicle."

Incorrect; the tread is about " whether or not an Affirmation of Residence is required to sell a vehicle" [for a farang] as CLEARLY stated in the OP. (go back and have a read if you disagree)

However, due to ignorance, and what we ALL know is....what he means is... for a "NON-THAI" citizen

So stop trying to make this about me being offended by the use of the word "farang," because it has nothing to do with that. The use of the word in this context is just plain WRONG because its not what the OP really wants to know. I think we can all agree he doesn't really think there is a separate set of rules for people with white skin vs. a non-Thai person of Asian origin from Singaporeblink.png

Edited by Eliot Rosewater
  • Like 1

Well, that is what happens if people use 'farang' when they mean 'foreigner'. The 2 are really not the same, but unfortunately 'farang' is quite often used incorrectly.

Certainly NOT "free" at Udon Thani Immigration! Baht 500!

maybe it would help if the whole post and replies were in English and not Tinglish

It would also help if people chilled out a little and stopped splitting hairs... some of those being most critical of the incorrect use of the word Farang and wether its use in this topic is relevant are also making spelling and grammar errors... it would be pedantic to keep raising these issues and derail the thread.

It's easy enough to work out exactly what the Op meant... can some just pretend the Op meant 'Foreigner' and get back to the topic which may be useful for some when the time comes to sell their car / bike.

When scrolling through a useful topic such as this it's pain in the neck having to filter out the childish responses from those who's ego's outweigh common sense.

On Topic:

Has anyone else [who is a Foreigner to Thailand] managed to sell their vehicle recently without an Affirmation of Residence from either their Embassy or Immigration (if they are not holding a Work Permit or house book) ?

• Like 2