Domestic tourism projected to generate Bt772 billion revenue this year

webfact

Domestic tourism projected to generate Bt772 billion revenue this year
By Digital Content

14238122008206-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Feb 13 -- Thailand's Kasikorn Research Centre, KResearch, projects that the government's "12 Cities You Can't Say NO To" project, a part of its Discover Thainess 2015 campaign, together with improved taxing measure to stimulate more domestic tourism by Thais would help to generate over 772 billion baht of revenue.

KResearch is expecting the provinces included in the "12 Cities You Can't Say NO To" project--Lampang, Nan, Phetchabun, Loei, Samut Songkram, Ratchaburi, Trat, Chanthaburi, Chumpon, Trang and Nakhon Sri Thammarat -- to earn revenue of around Bt3.5 billion, as the project would encourage the growth of visitor numbers and spending in the area, which would in turn improve local tourism and relevant business in each province.

The research further predicted that, with the government's scheme to encourage more domestic tourism by the people by using travel expenses to reduce individual income tax, more Thais would travel within the country, generating a revenue of about Bt772 billion for domestic business, which is higher than 2014's Bt705 billion targeted revenue.

The centre said the highest growth in domestic tourism would be seen in the northern, northeastern or Isarn, and in the southern regions, with tourists in all three regions cumulatively accounting for more than half of the total of visitors for the whole year. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2015-02-13

They can't afford holidays you dimwits because of all that debt succeeding Governments keep getting them into. I've got sixteen inlaws and only one of them has ever had a holiday, and that was a coach trip with workmates running around Temples further South giving money away to religion. The majority of them work, eat and sleep worrying all the while about 'collecting money' for when they get older or sick.

You see, what I don't understand is this. If I'm Thai and a 'tourist' I visit another town or city and spend my money on food etc. Now, the place I left is not getting any money from me for food etc!.

So, how do they calculate this huge sum? It can't be simply hotels.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You see, what I don't understand is this. If I'm Thai and a 'tourist' I visit another town or city and spend my money on food etc. Now, the place I left is not getting any money from me for food etc!.

I'd say the Motorway and roadside shops would do well , we have to stop every hour to get food when we drive anywhere

• Like 2

No no no no no no no no no no no no !

No sums it up....saying domestic tourism generates revenue is actually economic incest that only redistributes existing GDP instead of increasing it. TAT has no legitimate business promoting special interests domestically. Their job is to increase inbound arrivals and let the domestic destinations compete for the incremental lift and domestic baht.

Finally, somebody that gets it. And locals are less inclined to stay in hotels of any consequence unless traveling on a business expense account.

Possibly, the idea is that relatively affluent people in Bangkok could be encouraged to travel and inject some of their savings into the economy, in places where the result might be beneficial.

but this....?

"The research further predicted that, with the government's scheme to encourage more domestic tourism by the people by using travel expenses to reduce individual income tax,..."

Ah, a tax break for the rich. It all makes sense now.