Police curb searches on foreigners in Thai capital

Lite Beer

Police curb searches on foreigners in Thai capital

BANGKOK: Police in the Sukhumvit area have been ordered to halt all searches of foreign nationals without due process following concerns of police harassment.

Pol Col Khajohnpong Jitpakpoom, the newly-appointed Thong Lor police superintendent, said unless a foreigner is acting suspiciously, his officers are prohibited from conducting random searches.

Full story here: http://www.thephuketnews.com/police-curb-searches-on-foreigners-in-thai-capital-51026.php

Source: Bangkok Post via ThePhuketNews

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-02-15

• Like 1

Out of the 297 policemen at Thong Lor station, 177 are patrol officers who roam the streets on motorcycles to ensure public safety

Should have informed the patrol officers it is illegal to ride their motorbikes on the footpaths and to refrain from doing it.

Also fine public/motorcy taxis who do it

This will actually ensure public safety

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Isn't it funny? We had an elected government for almost 3 years and there was no governing.

And now we have a non-elected government and there is proper governance.

Oh Yes, military rule, it's hilarious, truly mirth making coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJARfU4 alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

better than before. I was not for the coup, however, they are at least tackling a number of problems that nobody bothered dealing with in years past.

• Like 1

"Pol Col Khajohnpong Jitpakpoom, the newly-appointed Thong Lor police superintendent, said unless a foreigner is acting suspiciously"

Yeah right, that's going to make everything ok.

Random urine tests on the streets in the city? Ok, just give 'em what the ask for:

2015-02-15_082032_zpsi4mrurwj.jpg

• Like 2

Isn't it funny? We had an elected government for almost 3 years and there was no governing.

And now we have a non-elected government and there is proper governance.

you are jumping to conclusions.

I hope you are correct,

but only time will tell...

This is still Thailand.

Issuing a statement only implies change.

It does not guarantee change.

We will see how this works out.

• Like 2

its about time. ive been body searched about 12 times. in bkk........one time the police who are looking for weed. actually smelled my hands for weed odor. now that's good.........its all about them wanting money..........I feel sorry for dreadlock people as im sure they really get targeted..........now if u are stumbling I can see a search. but im clean cut guy. its really ridiculous.. they always search on abandoned sois. as not to attract attention........

A good step in the right direction.

I hope it works as stated.

I still have one worry about the drug testing, if done at the station, hospital or anywhere else.

I am from California where marijuana use is virtually legal..definitely legal for a great many who have prescriptions for legal medical marijuana use.

Marijuana can be detected by a drug test for 21 days after the last time it is used, for daily users it can be detected longer than 21 days.

Someone who has consumed marijuana legally in their home country can be tested in Thailand two weeks after leaving their home country and test positive for marijuana use.

Is there anything in place to protect these people while in Thailand?

I ask since I do have friends in this situation who want to visit here and are hesitant to take this risk.

Recently, ( December 2014) marijuana laws have been relaxed in every state in the US and it is not just Californians this is an issue for any more.

maybe u can offer them 1000 baht not to search you?

"If a search is considered necessary, such as in a case where a foreigner appears to be “startled” by the presence of police, the search must be conducted in a public area under the supervision of two officers with the rank of sub-lieutenant or higher.

“But if the person sees an officer and appears to be calm, then we are not allowed to conduct a search,” Pol Col Khajohnpong said."

So if you live here and speak Thai, and you are used to seeing police carrying guns in the holsters, then you're fine.

If you come from Britain, for example, as a holiday maker who is not used to being approached by officers carrying a gun and you appear to be "startled" then you are wide open to being searched. Hum? Logical. bah.gif

dear multirod. this is Thailand not California , not even close to California.

I still have one worry about the drug testing, if done at the station, hospital or anywhere else.

I am from California where marijuana use is virtually legal..definitely legal for a great many who have prescriptions for legal medical marijuana use.

Marijuana can be detected by a drug test for 21 days after the last time it is used, for daily users it can be detected longer than 21 days.

Someone who has consumed marijuana legally in their home country can be tested in Thailand two weeks after leaving their home country and test positive for marijuana use.

I ask since I do have friends in this situation who want to visit here and are hesitant to take this risk.

Recently, ( December 2014) marijuana laws have been relaxed in every state in the US and it is not just Californians this is an issue for any more.

• Like 1

Just having any illegal substances (THC in case of marijuana) in your blood is against the law in thailand.

Does that announcement actually mean anything?

The wording of it still leaves it to the judgment of the officer stopping the individual, the only difference is the detail that a search must be witnessed by two officers with a rank of sub lieutenant or above. Which is great for those in the know, but how will your typical tourist be aware of the rules?

After all, this is for the protection of the unwary more than for "seasoned ex-pats".......................wink.png

If they are serious about this then the focus needs to be pointed at the tourist, not lost in police regulations or in old articles in online forums. How about a few signs (in English) in the areas concerned? Until that happens, with full transparency, IMHO, this is just bluster by the powers that be.

Good news. Whilst the problem was somewhat exaggerated in the first place, making an official announcement that it is to be stopped is a sensible move.

However, there will always be some here who badmouth anything the Thai authorities do. They could be offering free beer and hand jobs and some of you would still be complaining.

What? No laokao, no blowjob? Only beer and a hand job? wink.png

I've had more pull over and show docs on a bike here in BKK in a week , that i ever did in years in Chiang Mai....i was not at all 'startled'' but last night they kept asking about murrywanna...not sure if they were buying or selling...but bloody annoying whatever the reason..bah.gif

• Like 1

Out of the 297 policemen at Thong Lor station, 177 are patrol officers who roam the streets on motorcycles to ensure public safety

Should have informed the patrol officers it is illegal to ride their motorbikes on the footpaths and to refrain from doing it.

Also fine public/motorcy taxis who do it

This will actually ensure public safety

Is it illegal......love to know, also dog's poop and billboards on public pavements....?