Survey: What Area/City Is the Best Place for Foreigners to Live?

Scott

Survey: Best Places for Foreigners to Live?  

659 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I currently live in both BKK and Pattaya. BKK is an overcrowded concrete ghetto and Pattaya is a sabaisabai beach resort. If it wasn't for work, I wouldn't give BKK another look. Isaan is too banoork, Phuket too expensive.

Besides Pattaya, Krabi felt nice.

I have some questions for the northerners. Chiang Mai seems to be getting a high percent in the voting and I have always heard good things about it. I have spent most of my time the past few years in BKK and the south but recently considered checking out Chiang Mai as a place to live, but recent threads about the increasing annual smoke/ash problem and the huge influx of Chinese tourists (loud/rude behavior, public defecation, spitting, butting in lines, etc.) have given me pause. It would be nice to hear the local perspective on these concerns.

1. Is the smoke problem that severe and on a daily basis.? How long does it last each year and during which months?

2. Is this smoke mainly a problem in Chiang Mai or does it also affect other cities/towns across the northern area (Chiang Rai for example)

3. I have dealt with the Chinese tourists in limited numbers in other areas and find it very frustrating. How big is this problem in Chiang Mai; is it year round or confined to the Chinese New Year period; is this confined to Chiang Mai or throughout the north.

Would these issues cause any of you to want to leave or would you reconsider if not already there?

• Like 1

The older you are , the closer to a hospital you want to live.

It is the same in any country. Personally I would like to live in Phuket, or near a beach area

facing west, just not in or near Pattaya. I feel fairly secure when I am in Hua Hin and Cha Am,

or even in Pran Buri to the south. I guess the rest is a preference, do you

want to live near the ocean, or to the north, and have cooler nights for part of the year.

Krabi was nice, but I had a bad experience with some Russian tourists there, during my

last visit.

Stargeezer

I would like to see a similar poll in regard to persons on non-o (especially for marriage as this appears o be most tedious), rate the hassle factor of Immigration by province.

For instance, I would never live in the following provs based on what I know: Phuket, Krabi, Samui.

I don't think there is a real answer to this poll in that many places have both good and bad aspects. One day BKK is ok, next day I want to be in south. Wife parents talk about retiring back to Issan, quite life there might be ok too.

I think the poll might be more helpful - where are you definately not going to live. Then allow comments also.

I have some questions for the northerners. Chiang Mai seems to be getting a high percent in the voting and I have always heard good things about it. I have spent most of my time the past few years in BKK and the south but recently considered checking out Chiang Mai as a place to live, but recent threads about the increasing annual smoke/ash problem and the huge influx of Chinese tourists (loud/rude behavior, public defecation, spitting, butting in lines, etc.) have given me pause. It would be nice to hear the local perspective on these concerns.

1. Is the smoke problem that severe and on a daily basis.? How long does it last each year and during which months?

2. Is this smoke mainly a problem in Chiang Mai or does it also affect other cities/towns across the northern area (Chiang Rai for example)

3. I have dealt with the Chinese tourists in limited numbers in other areas and find it very frustrating. How big is this problem in Chiang Mai; is it year round or confined to the Chinese New Year period; is this confined to Chiang Mai or throughout the north.

Would these issues cause any of you to want to leave or would you reconsider if not already there?

For me, its just mini Bangkok but with air pollution and no public transport. Its just as hot, if not more so. Whatever it was, its not anymore. Just seems like CM is for those who need the urbanity but cant handle the big mango. Its the fires that freak me out most though.

I'd also be none to happy about being so far from the ocean.

I voted other. I live in Ayutthaya , it does not have the drawbacks of some Tourist area's and is pretty quiet but only an hour and a bit away from Bangkok if I fancy a night out

I also lived in Udon, Kumpawapi for a couple of years 2002 ish and . I think udon has a lot more in it now than it did then Farang entertainment wise , only Steves Bar and Mr Tongs really when I was there

Pattaya/ Naklua for a year 2005. Too full on then , out most nights , too old for that now

The smartest and best answer i have seen on any forum concerning Thailand. I live in a undisclosed location. I did not move to Thailand to hang around thousands of foreigners. I came here to live with the Thais. I think this place is called Thailand not Farlangland. Same answer. STAY AWAY!

Not my area.

Nope.

Won't even tell you where I am.

Stay away!

There is a VISA spot too. I've never heard it mentioned and it is very functional and well done. It wouldn't take the malcontents one day to make a mess of it.

I've lived all over LOS - was down Deep South for many years, in Isaan for many years, also BKK and several other locations for lengthy periods. Currently in Pattaya and very happy here.

Pattaya has a bad name for reasons we all know about but some of the many pluses for Pattaya are:

1. Not far from the capital & Swampy airport

2. Coastal - although Pattaya beaches are not appealing for swimming there are nice sea views and sea breezes

3. Outstanding variety of food.

4. Great shopping

5. Large variety of sporting & social activities

6. Large expat support in place

7. Great variety of entertainment

8. Cheap to live: I've found Pattaya to be one of the cheapest places in LOS for renting accommodation, eating & drinking

I voted for Pattaya also for the above reasons and:

- Pattaya has a great ExPat community with regular social activities to include:

- Sports

- Cultural (both Thai and other)

- Easy/regular local transportation - baht bus (don't need to drive a car or scooter)

Where ever you are happy is the best place to stay.

I work here so there is no way I could live anywhere but Bangkok.

Doubt I would live here when I retire in the current climate but that's still a long way off.

Of all places I have lived, and that includes a couple of cities and villages in Isaan region I do have to say Chiang Mai hands down the best for atmosphere and chillax vibe and probably has (in my opinion) the best expat community, there is so much to do and see up north too. If smokey and/or cold season bothers you all that much you can always have a couple of months away elsewhere.

Chiang Mai best described as a big city with a village vibe to it.

If you've got school-aged kids: Bangkok.

If you work (professional): Bangkok.

If you're young and into bars, clubs or bands: Bangkok

If you're a foodie: Bangkok

If you like galleries, exhibitions and other cultural pursuits: Bangkok

If shopping is your thing: Bangkok

Relaxing, retiring, beaches and nature: Anywhere but Bangkok.