Survey: What Area/City Is the Best Place for Foreigners to Live?

Scott

Survey: Best Places for Foreigners to Live?  

659 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Pattaya wins for me.

- infrastructure

- more shops/restaurants for farang

- price level still cheaper than Phuket

- beaches

- sea breeze

- proximity with international airport

- public transports

- golf courses around

• Like 1

I lived in Bangkok, Hua Hin and Khao Lak, but voted for Pattaya, where I never spent more than a day or two. Reasons: low cost of living overall, abundance of restaurants and nightlife, proximity to Bangkok, nice beaches near by, easy to quickly go anywhere by car. What would maybe suit me the best would be a quiet place in the countryside at easy driving distance from the city.

Tend to agree a lot with this.

"restaurants and nightlife" and can add to that sports facilities and golf courses, sight-seeing stuff, schools of all levels and so on

Low cost yes compared to overseas, compared with Bangkok, Phuket, Samui etc. Isan people may not find so.

"a quiet place in the countryside at easy driving distance from the city" lots of such here in what some call "the Dark Side"

After much hesitation i think it will bea small village 50 k south of petchabun . There is a nice piece of farm land just behind my house about 6 rais mainly rice with a nice deep pond with fish like pla boo. Can transform a bit make an other pond . Pland some trees . Still have some one to make a corner of high quality rice. In a corner I reckon almost self sufficient. And only about 4 hours from bkk for a little civilisation

Upon retirement I decided on the Farang ghetto of Jomtien, some 16 months ago. It is a good place to ease into a new culture and lifestyle. Quit at nite but a short songthaew ride to the rest of a Pattaya. Modern studio 12,000. Bus to bkk airport is a 5 min walk. Ride there which hooks you up to Skytrain network is 1hr 40 so day trips easy. Many western grocers and year round fruit and veg market on Jomtien 2nd rd 10 min walk. I bought the biggest counter top stove I could find. Pots, pans and cookware from bkk ikea along with a pail bbq on the balcony lets me eat exactly what I do back home. Do not care for asian food. Gym fees are cheap and my neighborhood one is usually mt in the afternoon. So far I have lost 30lbs with 30 to go. Getting in the best shape of my life. Maybe move on after a couple years (Saigon?) but as a starting point this area is hard to beat.

I have lots of friends getting out of Phuket. Too expensive, too commercialized, piss poor infrastructure if you don't want to take your life in your hands and drive a murdercycle. I like Banglamung. Close to Pattaya where I can go or not. Good baht bus service. Can look at ocean although you would not catch me in the poluted water. I have been in Thailand for 30 years.

• Like 1

Best area depend on your preferences – like young or senior; work or retirement; what you prefer, like sea or lake, mountains or flat land, nightlife or silence; your financial status; etc. – don’t think there is a simple answer to vote for... wink.png

An impossible question to answer as everyone has different criteria, add to that people generally vote their own locale to justify their own choice.

There is of course the option many here took, namely having a look ourselves and deciding what we personally like. Half the fun is in the discovery.

I would say that for someone in their 50's retiring; Chaing Mai would make sense:

1) big enough to get most things

2) cooler than Bangkok

3) airport to get to main international airport

4) not sleezy like Pattaya

so, how would your point #4 be an advantage ?

• Like 1

I left Pattaya for Issan about 7 years ago---but I still think its correct, Pattaya is a great budget place, value for money--its fun--& anything you want can be had....its like waking up in Disney land every morning..........w00t.gif

---Probably the only thing it isn't good for is a stable marriage

heh - I had that before moving to Pattaya - a stable marriage is much overrated !

Ten years ago, I really liked living in Nong Khai. It was quiet, but had most everything I like. People were friendly.

Then it made the "Ten Best Places To Retire" list in some magazine/rag, and by 2012, it was a completely different place. The locals are fed up with all the yobbos and riff-raff, and a lot of the old timers have moved on.

Still, it is a slightly tarnished jewel in Isaan. Interesting confluence of Viet/Lao/Thai culture and, especially, food.

I guess it would still get my vote, if Thailand were still worth the trouble. The Mekong is still like a magnet, tugging at my heart...

• Like 1

your home country is the best place to live. everyone one upping each other on here, your area isnt the real thailand because you got starbucks, etc. what a load of bullshit. its 2015, there is nothing "untouched by people". If you are searching for national geographic natives then I suggest you watch tv.

• Like 1

Issan came out number two? I guess those people enjoy watching paint dry. Either that or they can't afford to live anywhere else.

Maybe you should take a closer look ---Issan did not come out in number 2 inthe poll.

It was in 2nd place early in the morning when Isan people were already awake to vote but Pattaya people had just hit the sack ... upon their return to the land of the living later on in the morning / by noon, the Pattaya voters started to change the rankings ;-)