Opening up business in Lao regulations and such.

Smurkster

I have lived in Nongbualamphu for 2 years now and my wife and I have a small English tutoring/translation service. I actually own nothing and am merely an employee (tutor) with a work permit...

I have always loved Laos, I spent time there before i ever lived in Thailand and I feel the place calling me back...I also have grave concerns for Thailand for reasons that I probably shouldn't post on here...

My question is, who on here has any background in starting a business in Laos? I have quite a few friends here and one asked me recently if I might be interested in going in as a partner in business for a restaurant.

What i am not looking for is the "it will only fail, not going to work" brigade...yes I know its risk everything is. I am just looking for the steps needed....as you would do with opening a business in Thailand.. i have some idea that it might even be possible easier here and I have heard from someone that with enough capital invested int he venture from the foreigner, they are capable of owning he business outright (no 51/49 BS). I also know Cambodia is the easiest to start a something, but again curious as to what anyone knows re Laos..It is such a wonderful country and I get special feelings here that I just don't seem to find anymore in Thailand....The people seem to be more genuine..etc etc, no reason for me to rant on Thailand

Any help would be great

THanks

Kinda surprised no one has answered on this yet. I thought for certain there would be a few Thai Visa guys who had a clue about this...maybe not, maybe Thai visa is really Thaicentric....I'll give it a few more days

You will need half a million US dollars to have your own business in your name. If you don't have this amount then you will need a Lao persons name and info on the business license. Very easy to do but you'd have to make sure you trust them before going through with it. Most of the farang bars, restaurants etc will have a business license under their wife's name. if you have good Lao friends that you trust then go ahead. Vientiane could always do with more tutoring / translations services as well.