Slow International Internet / Bandwidth ... again!

chaihot

We have been experiencing horrible international bandwidth again. Technicians were at the house yesterday (unrelated to bandwidth) and I showed them the speed reports while they were here. They just shrugged and said ... in effect ... Thailand doesn't have a big enough pipe for international connections.

Here are my speed tests tonight .... What are the results of your speed test for INTERNATIONAL locations right now?

Seattle Test Node

post-83794-0-20768500-1424000778_thumb.j??

Singapore

post-83794-0-92756900-1424000956_thumb.j

UK

post-83794-0-43436100-1424001191_thumb.j

All tests taken at 6:30-6:50pm, from THREE different speed test sites.

It really depends on what you are trying to reach.

I have a 15/1 mbps fiber optic TOT connection in northern Thailand, and I can achive a solid 8mbps connection to a few download servers located in California, USA. Yet, when I connect to a friend's High-Speed Cable 25/5 mbps or another using 50/10 mbps located just a few miles from those server farms, I get < 1 mbps.

I can only attribute it to ISP routing, where the Cable ISP is throttling the International Peered Connection.

Poor response from a many URLs doesn't mean the entirety of your International Connectivity will always sucks. Many sites just utilize poor/bad routing or purposely throttle connections using International pipes.

Pisses me off, but until I can find a VPN/VPS sitting in a sweet spot, I'm in the same boat as all the other steerage-class Internet Folk in Thailand.

• Like 1

Pisses me off, but until I can find a VPN/VPS sitting in a sweet spot, I'm in the same boat as all the other steerage-class Internet Folk in Thailand.

There is such a sweet spot in Eastern Europe and Russia.

Try Romania for example.

edit: This is old info, but worked well a few years ago.

Edited by Satcommlee

Maybe somebody, or more than one person is using up your bandwidth. You can check with this free software: http://www.whoisonmywifi.com/homeuser/

Alternatively, disconnect WiFi and connect to your router with a RJ45 Ethernet cable. If you've got Windows 8.1 installed, you can place the computer in Aeroplane mode as a double safety precaution if you do discover someone snooping around.

If you do find something untoward, you can use a free application called CrowdInspect. It's the tool at the foot of the page on this site: http://www.crowdstrike.com/community-tools/

Create a manual System Restore point before you install the first one so that if it causes any issues on your system, you can wind back the clock to the time prior to installing it.

CrowdInspect on the other hand is a portable app and doesn't need to be installed.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...