English scary for Thais

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Exactly who I want to handle my money: a banker who makes his decisions based on his horoscope.

Aren't you an American?? you should be usd to abysmal standards of banking.

• Like 1

"BIZ BUZZ English scary for Thais"

No, top-to-bottom autocratic authority based brain washing from a young age, I tegrated with Nationalistic outdated xenophobic traits and punishment for critical thing and questioning is scary...

Edited by MaxLee
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thais are pretty scared to do anything "new" which falls outside of the solipsistic and inward looking/self-insulating comfort zone they have.

They will also tell you that Thailand has never been invaded, although in 1941 they just let the japs walk right in (or land in boats) so that they could get to Singapore via Malaya. Wasn't the Railway of Death something else that the japs were allowed to make, using Allied troops as well as Chinese and Thai labour?

Now, Thais look at me with horror when I say I can only use Taxi-Thai and how much I loathe most of the junk which passes for Thai food ("the best food in the world from the most fabulous and smiling country in the universe").

What a crock of @@@@.

Yet I assume you still choose to live here. Ironic or moronic?

IMHO the biggest drawback affecting Thais learning English or any other alien concept is the issue of 'face'. In my experience any learning process will sometimes involve making mistakes/giving incorrect answers. Sadly, being made aware of personal mistakes, particularly in a classroom situation is very difficult for Thais to accept, as this involves 'loss of face'. For an English teacher the task is made more complex because he/she must be acutely aware of the students' innermost fears (losing face), as well as the students' actual educational needs. For a student to become conversant in English he/she must continually be reassured that there is no need to be afraid of making mistakes., just so long as the same mistakes aren't repeated ad infinitum.

IMHO the biggest drawback affecting Thais learning English or any other alien concept is the issue of 'face'. In my experience any learning process will sometimes involve making mistakes/giving incorrect answers. Sadly, being made aware of personal mistakes, particularly in a classroom situation is very difficult for Thais to accept, as this involves 'loss of face'. For an English teacher the task is made more complex because he/she must be acutely aware of the students' innermost fears (losing face), as well as the students' actual educational needs. For a student to become conversant in English he/she must continually be reassured that there is no need to be afraid of making mistakes., just so long as the same mistakes aren't repeated ad infinitum.

Could it also be the so called "English teachers" are for the most part not really teachers to start with ?

• Like 1

Anything that comes from outside of Thailand is scary to them. That is why they will always be proud of their tuk tuk and I will be proud of my space station. alt=thumbsup.gif>

Not scary, threatening.

Is it true that more people on this planet speak SPANISH

More people speak Spanish however English is the most commonly used "second language".

Saying its "scary" to learn English is a cop out....in reality, many Thais just cannot be bothered.... as per a lot of their thinking: why in the world would they need to know any other language besides Thai....There is going to be a major awakening and possibly some major regret when ASEAN opens and this country sees how education standards (including the use of English) seem to be much higher in other SE Asian nations....fair warning, they don't see it now, but boy will they ever once the good English speaking Filipinos, Vietnamese, Lao and pretty much just about every other country in the region are going to possessing the better English skills....and therefore be more preferable to a whole array of jobs.....There was a study I think done last year out of the 10 (?) countries in ASEAN, Thailand ranked the bottom 2 in Educational standards (I am not sure what the numbers were based on, whether or not it was standardised testing or some other medium). Also for the bit that I have done traveling in SE Asia, I think Thais rank in the bottom in terms of spoken English. From my experiences the Lao, The Vietnamese and even the Burmese that I met possess much better English skills.....coupled with the government issues with the Thai gov't and another pending crisis I will not and cannot talk about, I believe Thailand is going to be facing some SERIOUS issues in the next few years that will cause hindrance to progress in many facets of society, meanwhile other ASEAN countries will just be on the straight line to the up and up.....just my take but think there is some validity..

Edited by Smurkster
  • Like 1

Even newsreporters on the thai radio can't pronounce english words properly, so how on earth can students ever learn it? They don't have an example.

There is a thai news reader on NHK (Japanese channel) and her English is "excellent" and by the sounds of the "accent" obviously spent a fair amount of time in the UK and even she messes up pronunciation as well

English as a language is a real b astard to learn properly if you haven't been exposed to it from a very young age

Saying its "scary" to learn English is a cop out....in reality, many Thais just cannot be bothered.... as per a lot of their thinking: why in the world would they need to know any other language besides Thai....There is going to be a major awakening and possibly some major regret when ASEAN opens and this country sees how education standards (including the use of English) seem to be much higher in other SE Asian nations....fair warning, they don't see it now, but boy will they ever once the good English speaking Filipinos, Vietnamese, Lao and pretty much just about every other country in the region are going to possessing the better English skills....and therefore be more preferable to a whole array of jobs.....There was a study I think done last year out of the 10 (?) countries in ASEAN, Thailand ranked the bottom 2 in Educational standards (I am not sure what the numbers were based on, whether or not it was standardised testing or some other medium). Also for the bit that I have done traveling in SE Asia, I think Thais rank in the bottom in terms of spoken English. From my experiences the Lao, The Vietnamese and even the Burmese that I met possess much better English skills.....coupled with the government issues with the Thai gov't and another pending crisis I will not and cannot talk about, I believe Thailand is going to be facing some SERIOUS issues in the next few years that will cause hindrance to progress in many facets of society, meanwhile other ASEAN countries will just be on the straight line to the up and up.....just my take but think there is some validity..

Thus the reason students are passed to next grade no matter if they learned a thing or not Thailand's Stats state They have the highest passing rate in the universe.

Even newsreporters on the thai radio can't pronounce english words properly, so how on earth can students ever learn it? They don't have an example.

There is a thai news reader on NHK (Japanese channel) and her English is "excellent" and by the sounds of the "accent" obviously spent a fair amount of time in the UK and even she messes up pronunciation as well

English as a language is a real b astard to learn properly if you haven't been exposed to it from a very young age

Football podcast I listen to has a Canadian guest on it at times and he still gets words like Norwich, West Bromwich [hell even spell check doesn't like this one] and others wrong.

For humour these days but initially it wasn't a spelling/pronunciation he recognised as part of the Canadian English he spoke.

Now he might be an exception, but English still has words that fox English speakers themselves.

Anything that comes from outside of Thailand is scary to them. That is why they will always be proud of their tuk tuk and I will be proud of my space station. http://static.thaivisa.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/

default/thumbsup.gif

tuk-tuks were invented in Japan for the Nippon post office and later donated to Thailand where they were copied

The average poster here seems to be on a par with most Thais when in comes to education ands learning....however the main difference is that the Thai ignoramuses (ignorami) happen to be in power and can actually implement their ridiculous ideas.

Some even know how to operate a computer and prevent double postings.

• Like 1

This is a typically conflicted Thai article. Starts off discussing the paranoia associated with Thai hires needing English skills. Then quickly subverts itself by centering on the bad luck of certain Chinese animals and SCB's president's office fire. Typical disjointed Thai newspaper writing. A story not worthy of front page news.

not unlike what you needed to say.

Anything that comes from outside of Thailand is scary to them. That is why they will always be proud of their tuk tuk and I will be proud of my space station. http://static.thaivisa.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/

default/thumbsup.gif

tuk-tuks were invented in Japan for the Nippon post office and later donated to Thailand where they were copied

Correct.thumbsup.gif

Origin

In 1947 Corradino D'Ascanio, aircraft designer at Piaggio and inventor of the Vespa, came up with the idea of building a light three-wheeled commercial vehicle to power Italy's post-war economic reconstruction. The Piaggio Ape followed suit. Auto rickshaws in Southeast Asia started from the knockdown production of the Daihatsu Midget which was introduced in 1957.[1]

Japan exported three-wheelers to Thailand since 1934. Moreover, The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications of Japan donated about 20,000 used three-wheelers to Southeast Asia.[when?][2][3][4][5] In Japan, three-wheelers went out of use in the latter half of the 1960s.[6][citation needed]

Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_rickshaw