Prawit back PM's insistence that Thaksin return home to face justice first

webfact

"which is just a red herring"

I disagree, city was wrong when he said "whilst under military rule", I know it's inconvenient but the military were not in-charge when Thaksin was convicted, something which seriously damages his case for claiming that everything was political.

yes, city did say that, but with the charges stemming from a junta organization and the conviction from the courts from the same side of the political 'debate', the fact that there was a popular government in place doesn't impact the political nature of the conviction.

It could be the same scenario now for Yingluck if the elections are held before she is convicted. (and yes, I do not doubt that they will convict her) But whether there is a military government, a PTP-successor government, or (miracles do happen) Abhisit government will not change the course of her trial and conviction. These people are out for blood and by God, they'll get it.

It was the same for Thaksin...

Thanks for responding, although I wish city would, it was his/her error.

I do see your point, Thaksin's criminality (or otherwise) would be more clear, if all those other cases against him had also proceeded, I do wish they had but he seems to prefer to delay for a decade & let them 'time-out'.

Which is his decision of course, but does suggest that he/his-lawyers weren't confident of winning, one can speculate or have an opinion about why.

Regarding Yingluck, I'd like to see the evidence, as I'm by-no-means convinced that she benefited personally. She was IMO negligent to ignore the many warnings, and perhaps trusted her advisers too much, perhaps that may come out ?

As always, one watches with interest, and occasional bemusement at the antics !

well, I like your last comment. This is, after all, a spectator sport for most of us. smile.png

Under "normal" circumstances, it would make sense to produce evidence and follow the process of law. But even in the best of times in Thailand (and elsewhere) the results tend to depend on who you are, who you know, and what means you have rather than the evidence.

And these are not the best of times, or even close to "normal".

BTW, since I follow US politics where we have had a number of corruption cases recently, it is interesting (at least for me) to see how the "corruption" cases in Thailand are so politically motivated compared to the USA where people just do stupid things and get caught... wink.png

Here people do stupid things and get caught. Those that are poor, unconnected, not from a prominent or amply rich political family get prosecuted and punished. Those that are get forgiven or allowed to make a swift exit.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

yes, city did say that, but with the charges stemming from a junta organization and the conviction from the courts from the same side of the political 'debate', the fact that there was a popular government in place doesn't impact the political nature of the conviction.

It could be the same scenario now for Yingluck if the elections are held before she is convicted. (and yes, I do not doubt that they will convict her) But whether there is a military government, a PTP-successor government, or (miracles do happen) Abhisit government will not change the course of her trial and conviction. These people are out for blood and by God, they'll get it.

It was the same for Thaksin...

It's amazing how red "camp followers" insist that the courts are biased (except when they rule in their favour) in some huge conspiracy, citing political bias of those prosecuting the charges, and ignoring that sufficient evidence was presented for a conviction. And NEVER mentioning the attempt to bribe his way out of the charges.

Occam's Razor would suggest that they just might be guilty.

it's amazing how yellow "camp followers" think that everyone else is a red "camp follower".

The courts have demonstrated their bias and have been politicized and turned into another tool of the elite. That is not my opinion, but the conclusion of academics whose job it is to analyze these things.

Of course the evidence is obvious for any basically unbiased observer.

Just to set the record straight, since you don't seem capable of understanding the different shades of non-yellow thinking, it is obvious that Thaksin was (and is) corrupt. It's also equally obvious that his conviction was political. It's really not clear that he even broke the law in that particular case, but he was convicted. In my opinion, there are much worse things that he did compared to signing (as the law required) for his wife to purchase a property in an open bid in which she was the highest bidder and it was above the assessed value. Yeah, I think he did many things much worse than that, ... but that is what he was convicted for.

As for Yingluck, I feel that the mood among the Thai elite is so ugly that they will force a conviction even if it is a strategically stupid move. Yeah, I think it is a strategically stupid move. But just so your little yellow mind can figure this out, take note that my making such a statement doesn't actually mean that I am defending her. You guys tend to have a problem with that kind of mental exercise.

OK mai?

Absolutely. I would have been really surprised if you as an American would defend a corrupt person who lost the country 700 billion Baht.

Oh dear Uncle Rubl. Do try and keep up. No 700 billion baht loss. His excellency the former outstanding Finance Minister has declared that the scheme was actually of financial benefit to the country and even quotes the amounts he believes it benefited. Now he hasn't produced one shred of accounting or audited figures to prove that but he wouldn't lie now would he? whistling.gif

All political trying to persecute the outstanding former first female prime minister and defense minister. OK she broke the law in moving people around so a relative could be placed in a key role. All technicalities as she carefully placed Thaksin's her hand picked best for the job well qualified people in place. Just like Thaksin broke the law when conniving with his then wife to buy government owned land. All honest and above board, he just technically broke the law, by actually breaking it, tried to give the land back, tried bribing the court and eventually jumped bail before sentencing. All political and just silly laws anyway you see.

Good job we have one or two posters, who often state they are not supporters of the Shin clan and family members, to point out all these technicalities and obvious persecutions for political purposes to us. Other wise we might all get fooled by those who actually comment on the evidence. Anyway, anyone who comments anything against Thaksin or his clan must be a yellow amart elite fascist supporter regardless of any evidence.

I'm not defending her, but it's obvious to anyone with more than an IQ of 10 that this kind, never done anything wrong in her life, truthful, highly competent former PM/DM is innocent as the driven snow, and surely just being persecuted for political reasons by those jealous of her massive popularity with the vast majority of Thais, a large minority of which even voted for her party.

smile.png

I'd be on the first flight back if I were Thaksin... The chance to face democratic justice from an opposition controlled junta,he'd be mad not too...?

Wonder if he's bring the pastry boxes with him or get them here? Fillings could be a different story.

Thaksin the Innocent - never ever wrong, never ever guilty. Above the truth and law.

It's amazing how many people bring up "yellow" in these discussions - you seem to be confused

From were I can see there are a group who still refer to themselves as redshirts who by their actions threats and monetary support are funded terrorists within Thailand who are targeting anyone that doesn't support them i.e the rest of the population using guns grenades and bombs - it is you that seems to think there is polarisation

Does anyone actually know what the redshirt terrorists actually want - what is their agenda - because it seems that has been unclear for some time

.............."Does anyone actually know what the redshirt terrorists actually want"..................

Yes, I do.

I have seen them in action with my own eyes, rampaging their way through Chiang Mai. They want political turmoil which means employment by a certain corrupt ex-politician which equates to money in their pockets.

That is all they want, in a nutshell. Nothing but low-life trash are the ones who carried out the murders, arson, bombings etc, hiding behind a red mask.

Edited by mikemac

Maybe its just me. How ironic that a guy who commits treason and grabs power, and then absolves himself of the crime can say that somebody must face a justice system that convicted a Thai citizen whilst under military rule.

Yes it is just you. He hasn't committed treason, hasn't grabbed power and has committed no crime. The government is not under military rule - she is a Thai citizen though (granted), that must go through the courts after having knowingly allowed her cohorts to get away with rampant corruption and despite being the PM and chairperson of the rice committee did sod all about it!!!