2nd Visitor visa application

My girlfriend and I applied for a visitor visa for her to visit the UK, back in January 2014. We were successful in her application and she visited the UK in May, returning to Thailand in July 2014. I then visited Thailand in November 2014 returning to the UK in February 2015. We are now married.

My current workload means that I am unable to visit Thailand as often as I would like, therefore we would like her to visit the UK again in August 2015 for a period of 4 months so that she can experience the "autumnal season". I then plan to return to Thailand with her at Christmas.

We provided a very thorough and detailed application the first time, and will be submitting the same documentation as well as additional documents to support the 2nd application.

Additional documents include:

• Photos, reservations, flight details etc. for her first visit to the UK
  • Photos, reservations, flight details etc. for my recent visit to Thailand
  • Wedding certificate ( English translation to do)
  • Name change to her ID card, passport and Tabien Baan (has changed to my surname)
  • Employment changes as I am now a Ltd company

Are there any other documents I should provide that I have possibly forgotten about, and what are others experiences in applying for a 2nd visitor visa?

Guemlum

Even though she has had a visa previously and adhered to it's requirements, each application is treated on it's own merits, so she should provide similar, but updated, documents to last time.

As before, if she shows she meets the requirements (genuine visitor, the visit is affordable, she will leave the UK when or before her visa expires) then like last time, the visa will be issued.

I don't see the need for you to include the details you list of her last trip, other than those asked for in the application form, as the Thai exit and entry stamps and the UK entry stamp in her passport will show how long she spent in the UK on that visit.

Also, just a self certified copy of your passport will show when and how often you have visited her in Thailand.

As you are now married the ECO may be concerned that she could be attempting to by pass the settlement rules by using a visit visa to enter the UK and then remain with you, her husband.

Therefore you should address this point in your sponsor's letter; explaining why she is only visiting this time and not applying for settlement.

Thanks 7by7. Do you think the length of time being requested is cause for concern? We can shorten the duration of stay. The reason we are considering the length of stay is because of my workload this year not allowing me to visit her as often as I do. Her english also needs to improve before we consider the spouse visa option.

Guemlum

As long as you explain why she is staying that long, it should be OK.

Remember, that if she is in the UK as a general or family visitor then while she could take the A1 speaking and listening test, she cannot undertake a course of study for it. So I wouldn't mention 'improving her English' as one of the reasons for her visit, were I you, as the ECO could interpret this as an intention to study in the UK.

To do that she would need a student visitor visa.

Which you may want to consider, as it would give her up to 11 months in the UK were she studying English as a foreign language.

She would need to have been offered a place on a course by an 'accepted place of study' before she applied, and you would still have to convince the ECO that she would return to Thailand at the end of her course.

But this may interfere with your plans for Christmas in Thailand.

Thanks again. I was aware of the A1 speaking test from fbr's recent post, but that is not an avenue we will be pursuing. Its simply a holiday as I cant be out there with her as often as I would like.

Guemlum

7by7, you mentioned Thai exit and entry stamps in her passport...she has neither? Why would that be? although we do have her boarding card from EVA and her boarding card from Thai Airways for her internal flight showing return flight dates.

Guemlum

Edited by Guemlum

7by7, you mentioned Thai exit and entry stamps in her passport...she has neither? Why would that be? although we do have her boarding card from EVA and her boarding card from Thai Airways for her internal flight showing return flight dates.

Guemlum

it was routine for all passports (including Thai ones) to have an exit stamp and an entry one (purple triangle and rectangle stamps). Your wife may have used the automatic gate system that does not involve stamping chipped passports.

I've never seen an automatic gate at suvarnabhumi for Thai nationals...even in the past couple of months. Passport control does have "Thai only" lanes, but no gates. Either way, we have proof using her boarding cards as evidence.

Edited by Guemlum

The UK does not stamp British passports on entry, and does not stamp any passport on exit.

Thailand stamps all passports on exit and entry, including Thai ones, unless one used the automatic gate mentioned above.

If there are no stamps in her passport then she can use the EVA boarding card to show when she left the UK.

I wouldn't worry too much if she has neither. I like to show the length of previous visits, if any, just to be sure; but unless the ECO has reason to suspect she may have overstayed last time this should not be an issue.

Seems to be the case highlander403. We collect all evidence of travel for our applications, and have kept her boarding card with EVA for her departure from the UK and also her boarding card for Thai AIrways showing her internal flight dates. They will be submitted with the next application.

Guemlum

Edited by Guemlum