Service schedule for warranty

Boycie

I am a little confused on when i should get my next service done on the truck?

When i bought my new truck 2 years ago, i was soon clocking up the km's. There's was no problem at 1/10/20/30,000km's i took the truck for a service as it was way before the 6 month intervals.

Now the number of km's has slowed a bit. The truck's last service was September 2014 at 37,000km which was 6 months after the 30,000km service. The dealer wrote in my warranty book and stamped the 40,000km / 24mths ticket.

I'm thinking that my truck, 44,000km, is due a service next month, March 2015 which will be 6 months from the last service.

But when i went to book a service the new clerk told me, no problem, wait until 50,000km or 30months?

So was i advised wrong by a different clerk, when i got it serviced at 37,000km (18mths old), i could of waited until 40,000km or 24 mths!

Just want to get it right for the warranty.

Edited by Boycie
  • Like 1

Warranty servicing would usually be model specific and unfortunately your at the mercy of what the dealer dictates.

As a general rule of thumb, oil changes are km covered or annual which ever comes first.

Typically with mineral oils, its 5,000-10,000km and synthetic oils can get from 10,000 to 20,000km.

Our Dmax is out of warranty, but I have been running shell helix ultra which is a synthetic oil and changing every 20,000 or so km since the warranty expired at 100,000km. Approaching 450,000km now an no issues.

Warranty servicing would usually be model specific and unfortunately your at the mercy of what the dealer dictates.

But i've been told 2 different things by different clerks at the same dealer, they both can't be right, that's why i'm confused.facepalm.gif

But i've been told 2 different things by different clerks at the same dealer, they both can't be right, that's why i'm confused.facepalm.gif

This is Thailand, the can both be right, if one of them was wrong, it would mean one of them would loose face - can't allow that. So neither clerk will admit their mistake thus preventing face loss for both.

Meanwhile your problem... The book as you say is stamped for the 40K service although it was done early. I wouldn't be wasting time or oil in March at only 44,000km. Wait till it reaches 50,000km or one year has passed since the last service - which ever comes first.

This is Thailand, the can both be right, if one of them was wrong, it would mean one of them would loose face - can't allow that. So neither clerk will admit their mistake thus preventing face loss for both.

Meanwhile your problem... The book as you say is stamped for the 40K service although it was done early. I wouldn't be wasting time or oil in March at only 44,000km. Wait till it reaches 50,000km or one year has passed since the last service - which ever comes first.

I did get a "i'm sorry" off the 2nd clerk when i was leaving, which was nice, but i was still none the wiser.

If i had a older motor, it's a no brainer, wait until 10,000km have been clocked or one year has passed, no problem, i'll do that when the warranty has expired.

But my truck is 2 years old and still under warranty and want to get the service times right.

For example, buy a new car/truck on 1st Jan 2014. The service book is set out like below

1,000km service 4th Jan 2014 (1 month warranty slip stamped)

10,000km service 1st Feb 2014 (6 months warranty slip stamped)

20,000km service 1st March 2014 (12 months warranty slip stamped)

30,000km service 1st April 2014 (18 months warranty slip stamped)

40,000km service 1st May 2014 (24 months warranty slip stamped)

Now you only use the car/truck a few km's a week going to the shops and back. The next service is 50,000km or 30 months from new, which would be 1st July 2016. That's 26 months after the last service!! That can't be right but you get it done then because you haven't reached 50,000km yet.

Between 30 months and 36 months would the warranty still be valid if there was a problem?

Any other member shared the same experience?

I did get a "i'm sorry" off the 2nd clerk when i was leaving, which was nice, but i was still none the wiser.

If i had a older motor, it's a no brainer, wait until 10,000km have been clocked or one year has passed, no problem, i'll do that when the warranty has expired.

But my truck is 2 years old and still under warranty and want to get the service times right.

For example, buy a new car/truck on 1st Jan 2014. The service book is set out like below

1,000km service 4th Jan 2014 (1 month warranty slip stamped)

10,000km service 1st Feb 2014 (6 months warranty slip stamped)

20,000km service 1st March 2014 (12 months warranty slip stamped)

30,000km service 1st April 2014 (18 months warranty slip stamped)

40,000km service 1st May 2014 (24 months warranty slip stamped)

Now you only use the car/truck a few km's a week going to the shops and back. The next service is 50,000km or 30 months from new, which would be 1st July 2016. That's 26 months after the last service!! That can't be right but you get it done then because you haven't reached 50,000km yet.

Between 30 months and 36 months would the warranty still be valid if there was a problem?

Any other member shared the same experience?

Every 10,000km or 6 months...... which ever comes first.

Say for instance your new vehicle warranty is 100,000 km or 3 years..... which ever comes first, that is when your warranty is finished.

Edited by Don Mega

Is it that Ferang cant read here after they buy a Vehicle here.Its so bloody easy even i can do it correctly.!!!.. 1 Book 1 Calender + those Numbers on the Speedo. Drive to Dealer ,Sit Down free Nescafe , read your E Mail,pay bill ,go home.thumbsup.gif

I thought it was 'so bloody easy' myself until i got conflicting information from the dealer!!

• Like 1

I have never got to 10000k in six months.

I therefore have it serviced every 6 months.

For the warranty I use the correct mileage ( they call it a coupon) otherwise you will pay for the engineer.

For an example my last service ( 6 monthly not km) It was due the 40000 service but I had only done 30100 so on the dealers advice I used the 40000 coupon (free engineer) but they performed the' 30000' service.

Next service I will use the 50000 coupon but they will actually perform the 40000 service. On the Toyota computor it looks perfect but they only perform the relevant mileage service.

• Like 1

Say for instance your new vehicle warranty is 100,000 km or 3 years..... which ever comes first, that is when your warranty is finished.

I understand everything above.

The problem is that i was advised to have a service because it was 6 months since the last one, although i had not done an extra 10,000km and the truck was only 18 months and not 2 years old or 40,000km which was the next service in the warranty book.

Now i'm trying to book a service, which is 6 months from the last service and they are telling me wait until 50,000km or 30 months old.

I'm going to wait, as above, and then i'll be back on track. But that would be 1 year between services (because i don't think i'll clock the 50,000km in that time) and wondering if the warranty would still be valid?

Edited by Boycie

The problem is that i was advised to have a service because it was 6 months since the last one, although i had not done an extra 10,000km and the truck was only 18 months and not 2 years old or 40,000km which was the next service in the warranty book.

Now i'm trying to book a service, which is 6 months from the last service and they are telling me wait until 50,000km or 30 months old.

I'm going to wait, as above, and then i'll be back on track. But that would be 1 year between services (because i don't think i'll clock the 50,000km in that time) and wondering if the warranty would still be valid?

The warranty will not be valid . You must have it serviced every 6 months (or 10000 from last service)

Why dont you do what I suggested in my earlier post. Use the correct 'coupon' on the paperwork but tell them to actually carry out the service applicable to your actual kilometres. In 3 years you will have used your 60000 'coupons ' and your warranty will lapse.

Is it that Ferang cant read here after they buy a Vehicle here.Its so bloody easy even i can do it correctly.!!!.. 1 Book 1 Calender + those Numbers on the Speedo. Drive to Dealer ,Sit Down free Nescafe , read your E Mail,pay bill ,go home.thumbsup.gif

I thought it was 'so bloody easy' myself until i got conflicting information from the dealer!!

The Dealer was Thai no doubt so regard any info as one would any Immigration Officer, .Depends on what Day it is.biggrin.png

The Dealer was Thai no doubt so regard any info as one would any Immigration Officer, .Depends on what Day it is.biggrin.png

The manager/owner was on his holidays this week, so i will go back again next week and see what he has to say.

I'll report back with my findings.

Forget dealership with this matter. get it sorted with the vehicle manufacturer as ultimately they are the ones who approve (because they have to pay for) any warranty claims.

Good advice.

If in doubt, and the 6 months or 10,000 km comes up, pay for it yourself.

Cheaper than a refused warranty claim.

"This is Thailand, the [sic] can both be right, if one of them was wrong, it would mean one of them would loose [sic] face - can't allow that. So neither clerk will admit their [sic] mistake thus preventing face loss for both"

OMG give it a rest. 80% of the posts on Thai Visa are from disgruntled, upset farang who think they have lost face because some Thai cashier didn't smile at them or someone at immigrations kept them waiting more than 5 minutes. Even in Farang Land sometimes two people can interpret things in two different ways without one of them having a large red letter X branded on his forehead.

There's a reason why this common expression is written in English and not Thai ... farang hate to admit to being wrong, because it would mean losing face.

Not-always-right-but-I-m-never-wrong.png

Edited by Suradit69

Who owns the vehicle You or the dealer???

Take it in and TELL them to service it

Pay the bill and go home

Why get your little girl panties all twisted over nothing whistling.gif

Got up this morning and dressed. Made sure that i didn't have my 'little girls panties' in a twist and went to see the manager.

'Drive to dealer' arrived on time earlier whistling.gif (no 'loss of face') than our scheduled appointment , so i 'sit down, free nescafe, read my email' coffee1.gif and wait an hour for him to arrive.

Explained the situation and he had to doubled check with the service team.unsure.png

Confirmed, no problem, waiting until 50k km's or when the car is 30 months old. Warranty will still be valid. Mis-communication last time when the service team said every 6 months, meaning from when the truck ute/pickup/bakkie is new, not the last service.

Did ask that if i had done 40k km's in 6 months from new, would the warranty still be valid if i never done the 50k km's but waited for the next service at 30 months. He replied "Warranty still good, but no good for the car".

Good job i've got a bloody truck then biggrin.png

and when something dies and need to be replaced under warranty and the vehicle manufacturer (who pays for the warranty repairs, not the dealership) sees the poor service records decline the warranty claim will your manager guy still honour the warranty ?