Marry in Singapore

zappalot

We're going to marry in Singapore.

According to the ROM website we fulfill all requirements.

On your Appointment at ROM for Verification of Documents and Statutory Declaration:
What to bring?

a) Summary of your Notice of Marriage

B ) Original passports and work/ immigration passes

c) Photocopy of NRIC (SC/SPR) or Passport (Foreigner) of 2 witnesses

d) Signed 'Invitation to Solemnize a Marriage' form

We have everything but work/ immigration passes as we neither work nor immigrated...

So I simply guess that this does not apply to us? Applies only for people with work or the ones who moved there, right?

Edited by zappalot

Need to be resident in Singapore or at least gain approval from the MOM.

Also, you may need to include the services of a registered translator if linguistically challenged.

Please only answers from people with actual knowledge or even better: own experience.

Because for example you do not need to be (permanent) resident in Singapore or at least gain approval from the MOM. Also this was not the question...

Of course I will ask them by myself but experience sometimes is helpful as well...

Edited by zappalot

Just called the ROM in Singapore.

So if one did not work in Singapore there is no need to have been a resident or get approval from any government authority (even not from the from member Soihok mentioned MOM) in Singapore if you want to marry in Singapore.

Of course you need to have had a stay of at least 15 days In Singapore before filling the notice of marriage. I made sure that they understood what I meant and was assured that the immigration stamps in the passport are sufficient.

So the in my first post mentioned papers to bring under point

B ) Original passports and work/ immigration passes

is a little bit misleading. The only thing they want to see are our passports as we logically do not have work/immigration passes.

In the official information about required documents for changing the marital status you need to have:

1. Translation of Singapore marriage certificate, which must be signed by the certified translator

2. Notarized copy of the marriage certificate whereas the notarized copy must contain a seal, a stamp and a signature of an authorized firm

You might think so far so good. But by calling the Thai embassy in Singapore we got the additional information that the notarized copy of the marriage certificate must be translated by a certified translator as well. Which would not make any sense to us since the only difference is the seal/stamp/signature...) How can a company's name or address or signature be translated?

Another source that can be trusted but that we do not want to name here says also that this is a wrong information by the embassy. Just only the Singapore marriage certificate must be translated and signed by the certified translator, nothing else.

Anyone with any experience?

• 2 months later...
Some might be interested in the outcome of our marriage in Singapore:

After all everything was more easy than it looked like. Just follow the steps mentioned on the ROM website.

The only question left was if we need to show as mentioned under B) work/immigration passes. As I already thought we didn't need to show them since it was simply impossible for us.

Furthermore what gave me some head ache is that several couples who married there mentioned that foreigners with limited English language knowledge would need an official translator at the marriage process at ROM. Fortunately as my girl (Thai citizen) speaks and understands English very well we did not need an extra translator.

Another annoying thing was that the Thai Embassy requested a translation of the marriage certificate by a certified translator. After digging around we got the information that anyone with a university degree can translate the certificate.

For the certification process at the Thai Embassy only one of the couple need to be present in Singapore.

All other information required can be obtained from ROM website itself.

I don't care actually if my country of birth recognizes the marriage or not, but just for in case and as far as I know it's not wrong to get another stamp from your embassy on the certified true copy of the marriage certificate. I mean you are in Singapore then already.

In the beginning actually I only wanted to avoid all the required paperwork my home country insists on to get married in Thailand. And that worked out. We also thought to just go to Singapore and marry and that's it. Fast and convenient. But finally as we could get a perfect solemnizer as well as the best witnesses you can find (my girl cried all the time during the ceremony because of the really well-done speech of the solemnizer/witnesses) on the effort was worth to be done. And my wife is still happy, very happy that we married in Singapore.

Richard, please see the ROM website for details. The fee for marriage depends on the certain date you want to marry.

For us this fee was 200 Singapore dollar. To the Buddhist place we married as well as the solemnizer we donated about 100 Singapore dollar.

And of course one of you need to stay at least 15 days + the arrival day in Singapore before you can register for marriage.

Richard, please see the ROM website for details. The fee for marriage depends on the certain date you want to marry.

For us this fee was 200 Singapore dollar. To the Buddhist place we married as well as the solemnizer we donated about 100 Singapore dollar.

And of course one of you need to stay at least 15 days + the arrival day in Singapore before you can register for marriage.