PM's Office sets dates banning alcohol sale

webfact

PM's Office sets dates banning alcohol sale
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has signed an order setting the dates for banning the sale of alcoholic beverages for 2015, which will go into effect from today onwards.

The Royal Gazette website yesterday published the announcement from the PM's Office, which sets the alcohol ban dates as per the Alcohol Control Act 2008.

According to the announcement, alcoholic beverages cannot be sold on Magha Bucha, Visakha Bucha and Asalha Bucha days as well as days marking the start and end of the Buddhist Lent period. Alcohol can be sold at duty-free shops at international airports on these dates.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/PMs-Office-sets-dates-banning-alcohol-sale-30254434.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-19

alcoholic beverages cannot be sold on Magha Bucha, Visakha Bucha and Asalha Bucha days as well as days marking the start and end of the Buddhist Lent period. Alcohol can be sold at duty-free shops at international airports on these dates

... and in mom & pop shops at all times.

Slight amendment:

According to the announcement, alcoholic beverages cannot be sold on Magha Bucha, Visakha Bucha and Asalha Bucha days as well as days marking the start and end of the Buddhist Lent period, exempted from this action are every single mom and pop store in the country who will continue to sell alcohol to anyone, of any age, at any time of the day or night, regardless of any laws to the contrary.

• Like 2

And what dates are these days on prey tell?

Makha Bucha Day: 4 March 2015

Wisakha Bucha Day: 1 June 2015

Asamha Bucha Day: 30 July 2015

(Buddhist Lent Day: 31 July 2015 - End of Buddhist Lent Day: 27 October 2015)...not holidays, but according to the gazetted announcement aforementioned, days on which alcohol cannot be sold. (Possibly, maybe, depending.)

Edited by samtam

Slight amendment:

According to the announcement, alcoholic beverages cannot be sold on Magha Bucha, Visakha Bucha and Asalha Bucha days as well as days marking the start and end of the Buddhist Lent period, exempted from this action are every single mom and pop store in the country who will continue to sell alcohol to anyone, of any age, at any time of the day or night, regardless of any laws to the contrary.

Ferking whistleblower!!!

NOTICE TO MEMBERS POSTING IN THAILAND NEWS

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.

Edited by metisdead
Added supporting link.

Mark your calendars for the day before each date and stock up! (-:

Yes because a day without alcohol would mean the shakes and other withdrawal signs. Similar to those when a drug user does not get his or her fix.

Though personally i think its weak that there are days to ban sales.. if your religious you should be strong enough not to drink on those days. Forcing a religion onto everyone is crazy.

• Like 1

yup good job and here are a few the 'reasoning's'!

• ban alcohol between 2pm and 5pm - REASON no 'alchy' will ever keep time and figure out to buy before 2pm OR after 5pm
  • ban 'holding hands' on St Vanentines Day - REASON all 'hot young chicks or suped up guys' will wait until NEXT Valentines when they will be a year older!
  • ban wearing of military uniforms - REASON unless it's hot young chicks from yellow supporter's then "it's just good fun'
  • Like 2

(Buddhist Lent Day: 31 July 2015 - End of Buddhist Lent Day: 27 October 2015)...not holidays, but according to the gazetted announcement aforementioned, days on which alcohol cannot be sold. (Possibly, maybe, depending.)

Thank you, duly noted and saved on the desktop smile.png

I am sure he was capable of Googling.

Only joking - thanks for posting.

I was under the erroneous impression that the birthdays of the King and Queen were also alcohol bans. TV member kwaibah (who is far more familiar with drinking than I) corrected me on that one.

Edited by Jip99

• ban alcohol between 2pm and 5pm - REASON no 'alchy' will ever keep time and figure out to buy before 2pm OR after 5pm
  • ban 'holding hands' on St Vanentines Day - REASON all 'hot young chicks or suped up guys' will wait until NEXT Valentines when they will be a year older!
  • ban wearing of military uniforms - REASON unless it's hot young chicks from yellow supporter's then "it's just good fun'

Actually that first ban was done by your hero.

• Like 1

Actually that first ban was done by your hero.

Elvis? why did he do that? whoever did it it is stupid and I have no hero's here in Thailand wish I had...

wish we had a Gandhi, Mandela or ASSK who could be my hero but there are NONE 'to dream the impossible dream' thank you very much

• Like 2

Never quite get the ban on SALE. Surely alcohol is only wrong (sorry I can't think of a better word to use) if drunk on a Buddhist day not bought on one. I buy beer 2 or 3 cases at a time but don't drink it all at once. Or can Thai Buddhists only plan <24 hours in advance meaning that anything sold will be drunk the same day.

One of the Five Precepts in Buddhism warns against taking intoxicants causing heedlessness. But since these are precepts and not commandments, every Buddhist has to approach them in their own way. Some Buddhists refrain from alcohol and drugs altogether, and some are casual/social drinkers.

In Buddhism nothing is prohibited it is just recommended that you refrain from intoxication as it slows your progress and makes you more likely to break the other precepts.

There is no sin in Buddhism only lack of progress.

But lack of progress is very Thai. laugh.png

• Like 1