The Most Popular Thai Dish To Foreigners.

erickok

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it's the street vendor version of duck soup with sen yai (large flat noodles), hold the congealed blood and get the mix of sugar, chilli vinegar, fish sauce and dry chilli just right ..... YUMmmmm.

I was introduced to this on my first visit to Thailand in the early 1980's.

It's still my first meal every time I arrive in the LOS.

It is probably Chinese in origin ?

• 6 months later...
I know it is a old topic but................

Man I just got back from 2 weeks in Chiang Mai & miss the Laad Naa Gai so much :o

Is that Rad na gai? If it is. I love it also but with moo or nua. My wife is from CM so i get the bext of both worlds. Northern food and the usual Thai food. :D

The National Culture Commission and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to find out what most foreigners prefer when it comes to ordering Thai dishes conducted a survey. At least 500 restaurants located around the world that serve Thai food were asked to answer a questionnaire.

The results are as follows:

1. Tom yam kung (spicy shrimp soup) 99%

2. Kang Keaw wan kai (green chicken curry) 85%

3. Phat Thai (fried noodles Thai style) 70%

4. Phat kraphao (meat fried with sweet basil) 52%

5. Kaeng phet pet yang (roast duck curry) 50%

6. Tom kha kai (chicken in coconut soup) 47%

7. Yam nua (spicy beef salad) 45%

8. Mu or Kai satay (roast pork or chicken coated with turmeric) 43%

9. Kai phat met mamuang himmaphan (chicken fried with cashew nut) 42%

10. Phanaeng (meat in coconut cream) 39%

Adapted from What's on Chiangmai.

Most of the boring/non experimental farang seem to eat chicken and rice or pad thai,the more adventerous ( like me ! ) wil try anything from gai kapow to pappaya pok pk ( i know, ive splelt it wrong )

Is that Rad na gai? If it is. I love it also but with moo or nua. My wife is from CM so i get the bext of both worlds. Northern food and the usual Thai food. :o

Yes it is Rad Na Gai

Funny that is what I called it there.

Then I get back here to Hawaii & they call it Laad Naa ???

Anyway yes it is awesome isn't it? :D

• 2 weeks later...

I read through the entire thread and was surpised that no one mentioned kao ka moo. That's pig leg with rice. The pork leg is cooked with green leafy vegetables and peeled boiled eggs. It is not spicy so anyone can eat it and when you want a little kick you add the special chili sauce that comes with it.

I'm also partial to ba mee moo daeng. That's skinny egg noodles with red pork. Most vendors put minced meat wrapped in large flat noodles.

"Man I just got back from 2 weeks in Chiang Mai & miss the Laad Naa Gai so much"

Where did you like to order the lad hnaa ? I have one favorite lad hnaa hmu place out here on Hang DOng rd b4 Tesco, bu that's about it. They're only open at night. Very happy to hear of a new place.

"Man I just got back from 2 weeks in Chiang Mai & miss the Laad Naa Gai so much"

Where did you like to order the lad hnaa ? I have one favorite lad hnaa hmu place out here on Hang DOng rd b4 Tesco, bu that's about it. They're only open at night. Very happy to hear of a new place.

You kow I do not know the name. But the very best place was near a road in Chiang Mai

that has all the wood guys on it? You know? they sell all the teak products etc.

This place is on a corner is big but empty & is like a pole house. Great coffee too!!

We also had this pork toast salad with green sauce ...mmmmmmmmmm

I will ask my girl as I am due back on Oct 16th later this month & will eat there for sure

post-51988-1191281151_thumb.jpg

post-51988-1191281192_thumb.jpg

post-51988-1191281234_thumb.jpg

"You kow I do not know the name. But the very best place was near a road in Chiang Mai

that has all the wood guys on it? You know? they sell all the teak products etc.

This place is on a corner is big but empty & is like a pole house. Great coffee too!!

We also had this pork toast salad with green sauce ...mmmmmmmmmm

I will ask my girl as I am due back on Oct 16th later this month & will eat there for sure

Thanks Flying.

Glad you'll be back soon to see your girl. Nothing so sad as leaving Thailand. Nothing so exciting as landing back in Thld and seeing your girl, and eating that first favorite plate of food either. Please get me the name of the place and a street, maybe as the teak street isn't ringing any bells - is it inside the city proper, or on the way out to Baan Tawai ? Anyway, I'll know soon enough I'm sure. So as to the pic you posted that is of the a la minute version of lad hnaa (literally 'on the face of' - ie, gravy and toppings on the face of the noodles - best pronounced 'rad hnaa' as it's spelled with roh reuah, but rarely is, 'lad' is perfectly fine to say).

SInce you're a fan, I do recommend you go one layer deepe in Rad Hnaa adventures and try a place like my fav food cart. The deal at the places that make only rad hnaa, and usually one or two other dishes - in this case the place has pad si-iew - a common combo as both feature use of the flat wide noodles, 'sen yai'. Their specialty is lad hnaa 'hmu mak' which is best thought of as marinated pork. The idea is that they make a giant vat of the rad hnaa gravy with the meat already in it, along with a bunch of other secret ingredients. Whereas a la minute preparations are tasty and all, they are a bit clean and light. There is a deeper satisfaction in one made with hmu mak as it has cooked all day, and again, is usually the house specialty - just like getting your burger from a burger place rather than just any sit down restaurant.

I used to live out on Hang Dong road and loved to stop in at this place to pick up an order whenever I had had a good too many drinks - it really lines the stomach just right! or on those brief few cool months of the year, when a soothing warm dish of chewy noodles and gravy helped warm the cockles. I think of it as THai comfort food.

Thanks realthaideal

Yes I know I love going back so soon. I am a contractor & there is a hold up here which freed me for a month & I thought hmmmmm may as well go where the food is great & my girl waits. We are also working on her visa to visit so that will be good to work on together too.

As fo the place I talked with her yesterday & yes it is Near Baan Tawai & she called it Hang Dong . I wonder if it is the same you mention?

It was on a corner fronting the main wide road?

I must tell my girl about this other place you mentioned too & try it also. If nothing else at least also try this other dish you mention.

Thanks again!

Thanks Flying.

Glad you'll be back soon to see your girl. Nothing so sad as leaving Thailand. Nothing so exciting as landing back in Thld and seeing your girl, and eating that first favorite plate of food either. Please get me the name of the place and a street, maybe as the teak street isn't ringing any bells - is it inside the city proper, or on the way out to Baan Tawai ? Anyway, I'll know soon enough I'm sure. So as to the pic you posted that is of the a la minute version of lad hnaa (literally 'on the face of' - ie, gravy and toppings on the face of the noodles - best pronounced 'rad hnaa' as it's spelled with roh reuah, but rarely is, 'lad' is perfectly fine to say).

SInce you're a fan, I do recommend you go one layer deepe in Rad Hnaa adventures and try a place like my fav food cart. The deal at the places that make only rad hnaa, and usually one or two other dishes - in this case the place has pad si-iew - a common combo as both feature use of the flat wide noodles, 'sen yai'. Their specialty is lad hnaa 'hmu mak' which is best thought of as marinated pork. The idea is that they make a giant vat of the rad hnaa gravy with the meat already in it, along with a bunch of other secret ingredients. Whereas a la minute preparations are tasty and all, they are a bit clean and light. There is a deeper satisfaction in one made with hmu mak as it has cooked all day, and again, is usually the house specialty - just like getting your burger from a burger place rather than just any sit down restaurant.

I used to live out on Hang Dong road and loved to stop in at this place to pick up an order whenever I had had a good too many drinks - it really lines the stomach just right! or on those brief few cool months of the year, when a soothing warm dish of chewy noodles and gravy helped warm the cockles. I think of it as THai comfort food.

Edited by flying

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thai food's light food and spicy food. Anyway, isn't tasty food for us... Mostly ingreadients are chili, sour, salty, more vegi, few meat and bitter. So many people in Thailand are small and slim slender.

Unlike, Chinese, Filipinos, Japanese, Koreans are tasty and heavy. So the Thai food are very spicy and lighty.

Edited by blueeagle