Ordering Thai food

eastbay

Rent a bird for the night and get her to teach you.

Winner winner chicken dinner

Oh yes, some slapper from the Isan countryside will know all the delicacies that Thailand has to offerbiggrin.png

He said rent a bird....not take your wife.

• Like 2

I think you have gotta recognise the name of the Thai dishes that you want to eat. Then you should learn a thai phrase such as "mee arai bang?" Or what do you have. This will generate a list enabling from most servers and it is up to you to stop them when something you recognise is spoken. Something like this, for those struggling to produce the sounds of the Thai language but wanting to communicate, and eat! , may help a little.

But what about downloading pictures of classic dishes on a phone or iPad and taking that out.

but how do you say "not spicy" when it is really built into the food ?

same as asking if its vegetarian , when they have no idea what the pre-packaged ingredients are,

Is there a list of what to look for in a good street market food stall or what to run away from ?

I normally just go to the Food Court at Terminal 21 wai2.gif

Forget the book! Attending a Thai language course is the BEST you can do. Even just a 20 or 40 hrs course helps you a lot. Otherwise the Thais will treat us Farangs like a kwai (buffalo) because we need their help for every little thing we do, even just to order our food. What a shame!

• Like 1

Forget to find a list! Attending a Thai language course is the BEST investment you can do. Even just a 20 or 40 hours course helps you a lot. Otherwise the Thais will treat you as a KWAI (buffalo) for the rest of your life in LOS, because you need their help for every little thing. What a shame!

Good point. Since it seems most foreigners that live here understand a few words. Beer and more beer. Without Miss bar girl they are totally helpless.

Forget the book! Attending a Thai language course is the BEST you can do. Even just a 20 or 40 hrs course helps you a lot. Otherwise the Thais will treat us Farangs like a kwai (buffalo) because we need their help for every little thing we do, even just to order our food. What a shame!

$174.00 for a new paperback. Great work with the link.

You are so right!!! Don't know how I messed that up so bad.....

Here is the link to the free-on-Kindle-Unlimited guide (2.99 w/out KU)-

http://www.amazon.com/Eating-Thai-Food-Guide-Migrationology-ebook/dp/B00A7HW52W/ref=zg_bs_156215011_13

Still $174 isn't that bad- think of all the money you could save!tongue.png

edit: Sorry that wasn't even directed at my link. I messed up messing up!

Edited by eastbay

Open the wiki link they have different dishes their names and ingredients.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Thai_dishes

Awesome link deonvz.

Who woulda thunk such an exhaustive and descriptive coverage of Thai food could be found on Wikipedia. Not that wikipedia doesn't often have informative pages, but this is better than the average wiki page.

+1 That sucker's great! Thai script, good description, links to ingredients, and even a pronunciation Play button!

Open the wiki link they have different dishes their names and ingredients.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Thai_dishes

Awesome link deonvz.

Who woulda thunk such an exhaustive and descriptive coverage of Thai food could be found on Wikipedia. Not that wikipedia doesn't often have informative pages, but this is better than the average wiki page.

+1 That sucker's great! Thai script, good description, links to ingredients, and even a pronunciation Play button!

+10.

• 3 weeks later...

Cow pat gui or Cow pat gung = Fried rice and chicken or fried rice and shrimp (I don't think you want the shrimp)......Bat me geow = noodles with bacon in a wrap.......Pappaya Wan = like a sweet and sour dish with rice. Cow mon gui = Rice soup and chicken. ....Cow mo dang = Rice and red beef.

Different cars sell each of the above. For example, a car that sells Cow pat gui....won't sell Bat me geow.

Bat me geow ....... I think not.

Baa Me (egg noodles), geow (sausage meat filled wan tons)

Cow mon gui ....... again no.

Cow Tom Guy (boiled rice & chicken soup)

Edited by MaeJoMTB