Ordering Thai food

eastbay

I would dearly love to find a list of common dishes, their ingredients, and their name in Thai, so that I could print it out and use it to order at street carts.

I have an aversion to organs and entrails, and I prefer no bones, scales or claws, or heads.

Has anyone ever seen such a thing? The google-verse has a few articles about ordering but none fulfill my fantasy of a picture list tailored to western tastes perhaps, with the Thai names.

Thanks in advance!

Rent a bird for the night and get her to teach you.

Winner winner chicken dinner

Oh yes, some slapper from the Isan countryside will know all the delicacies that Thailand has to offerbiggrin.png

Why not a slapper from elsewhere?

The OP mentioned common dishes not Thai delicacies.

• Like 1

I saw a T-Shirt for sale in Chattuchak market that had photos of all the popular dishes and their names in Thai and English. It was sold as 'point to order' eating-out shirt.

Who says Thai's never invested anything useful?

I think the idea could be extended to a shirt for use in Patpong and Pattaya's Walking Street?

Cow pat gui or Cow pat gung = Fried rice and chicken or fried rice and shrimp (I don't think you want the shrimp)......Bat me geow = noodles with bacon in a wrap.......Pappaya Wan = like a sweet and sour dish with rice. Cow mon gui = Rice soup and chicken. ....Cow mo dang = Rice and red beef.

Different cars sell each of the above. For example, a car that sells Cow pat gui....won't sell Bat me geow.

Cow pat gui or Cow pat gung = Fried rice and chicken or fried rice and shrimp (I don't think you want the shrimp)......Bat me geow = noodles with bacon in a wrap.......Pappaya Wan = like a sweet and sour dish with rice. Cow mon gui = Rice soup and chicken. ....Cow mo dang = Rice and red beef.

Different cars sell each of the above. For example, a car that sells Cow pat gui....won't sell Bat me geow.

Man, I thought my Thai was bad. e.g. cow mo dang-are you saying khao moo dang? That is rice with red pork. Chicken is gai or kai. Both are pronounced basically the same.

• Like 1

Oh yes, some slapper from the Isan countryside will know all the delicacies that Thailand has to offerbiggrin.png

Wow......using the word slapper to refer to issan women or women from elsewhere! What true gentlemen you are, I'm am truly embarrassed, have just a little bit of respect when posting on a forum for everyone to see.

Chicken is gai, Kai is egg, but the pronunciation is very close. Cow pad is fried rice, follow it with moo for pork, gai for chicken, ped for duck, gung for shrimp, plaa for fish, (b)poo for crab. Noodles are gway teao followed by Yai for big, Lek for small as in gway teao Lek moo for pork with small noodles. This will stop you starving until you learn more. Pointing is the best as our pronunciation is unintelligible to most Thais.

Edited by Classic Ray
  • Like 1

Wow......using the word slapper to refer to issan women or women from elsewhere! What true gentlemen you are, I'm am truly embarrassed, have just a little bit of respect when posting on a forum for everyone to see.

You beat me to it and if this is the type we are now getting on TVF, we can really do without them. They are neither smart or articulate if this is the way they seek to express their opinion.

Clearly has no respect for women, which is highlighted by this misogynistic spray but then what would one expect, no respect for oneself equates to no respect for others.

• Like 2

Voice of experience - you have obviously had a few.......

• Like 1

Better learn to speak Thai or you will end up surviving out of a 7-11 like most foreigners. If you can not remember Thai maybe put the bottle down for a few days.

Did you have a particular reason for that unprovoked attack on the OP - who is asking an honest question about improving his Thai communication skills?

No?...... I thought not, just another keyboard warrior.coffee1.gifbah.gif

• Like 2

Thanks again all, this is great. Don't sweat the haters, you know what they're gonna do...... Can't even hate them, or you become one!

Along with several really good suggestion here, I've also found this one:

http://www.eatingthaifood.com/eating-thai-food-guide/

Which seems to be the bigger brother to the (free) 50 dishes one above. The bigger one was shown as $7 on Google, which I was willing to pay, but then I found it to be $17 on the site, which was a bit steep for an e-book to me, maybe more than I wanted to pay I should say. A little further searching and I found out that it is available free on Kindle if you have Kindle Unlimited, which I do. I hope that the author is fairly compensated.... It is a really good book and I am enjoying it.

In the book some advice is offered about determining which cart sells what, and that is my next mission, to go do it and learn. I really like the T shirt idea as well, I'll pick one up if I see one.

Open the wiki link they have different dishes their names and ingredients.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Thai_dishes

Awesome link deonvz.

Who woulda thunk such an exhaustive and descriptive coverage of Thai food could be found on Wikipedia. Not that wikipedia doesn't often have informative pages, but this is better than the average wiki page.

• Like 1