Going For It Soon.......

lostinisaan

Hello and Swasdee khrap,

After waiting quite a long time, where nothing, excluding empty words, happened, I made up my mind and go for something which seems to be my right. Obviously not just mine…..

I made the terrible mistake to believe the superiors of a school, resigned at my former school, just to find out that nothing of their promises became true. I've never ever experienced such a similar and strange workplace somewhere else. Neither in Europe, nor in Asia.

Now I do not want to go into details about the indeed horrible working conditions, I'm just so fed up with the fact that I couldn't even get back into the SS insurance, in which I had already paid in for almost 10 years.

The director of the government school does not register his school at the SS office which he had promised twice, even considering the fact that it is a Thai law and the registration of employees has to be done by the employer immediately. Please see attached file, the Thai SS act.

But it's like banging your head against a wall, when such a director believes, that he comes right after god.

These circumstances put me in a position that I had to lie about the circumstances and tell them that I'm not working to get back into the system, by paying 432 baht per month.

I'm quite happy that I went to this office with my wife, where they told me that it wouldn't have been possible one week later, as the deadline to continue an existing policy is six months.

In addition, I would have lost the right to receive nearly 80 K, I had paid in when I turn 55, which is only two moons away.Who would like to be without an insurance and losing quite a lot of money? Too many topics on TVF explain why having an insurance here is a must.

I can call myself lucky that I've got my insurance back, as I encountered some health issues, medicine and hospital bills around 8 K/per month, for the last three months, would have been very difficult for me to pay for.

To get to the point. I'm planning to see my neighbor, who's a very good lawyer and have a chat with him, how I can possibly make him do what he should have done.

I'm not doing that for my own personal freedom, there's also an Asian teacher, plus eight Thai assistant teachers, who'd be entitled to receive SS. They all know about it, but scared to death to lose their jobs.

Of course am I aware that further employment, after getting the ball rolling, will not be in my interest, but I think it's time to show the guy on his throne that he's also only a human being. Not more, not less.

I'd deeply appreciate other peoples' input, which could also be done via message, I'm basically sampling enough knowledge, before I go to see my neighbor, the lawyer.

I apologize for the long text, as I thought it would be necessary to clarify certain points that might be of interest to be able to understand my point of view.

Thanks a lot in advance for any useful input. wai2.gif

Social security act.docx

The law allows an opt out. As long as they offer private medical like Bupa.

The sad truth is that they offer absolutely nothing. After the director had promised me twice to register "his school", I had to see a doctor, an X ray was made, a bag full of pills and the bill was around 1,100 baht.

I was pretty certain that the school would reimburse me for that, still having his words in mind. I wrote a letter, attached the hospital bill and gave it to the guy's secretary and explained it to her.

It wasn't even an hour later when she came to my classroom, gave me my stuff back with the words: " You have to give this to the SS office, said the director." I even started laughing about so much insanity,never got this money reimbursed.

It's very clear for me that he's pocketing the money for a few reasons, as there's enough money coming in from the parents of the EP kids.

He prefers to spend "his" money the way he thinks it would be appropriate and the other reason might be that he's afraid that people have more rights, such as maternity leave and other protection from the SS office.

Funny is that he also plays the religious leader, lets his teachers pray after school and at least two meetings every week, of course after school.

I'd rather become a monk, being atheist, than continuing working for such a crook. wai2.gif .

If you take the cash payout, you'll have 6 months of coverage from your last payment, then you'l be out of the SS system.

(I did that last month. It surprised me that they actually do give you cash.)

You're still young enough to get another job that is covered and start all over after the six months is up.

• Like 2

Social Security at your current employer seems to be a very hot topic to you. You started several threads about it. Isn't it time for you to move on? If you continue there, you might need psychiatric help which might cost a lot.

Yep, aldenai, I'll definitely move on. All I'm trying to do now is to gather enough information to take this guy to the labor court, to make sure that others after me do not encounter the same problem.

• Like 1

If you move on, will you be able to get another Teacher's License Waiver?

All I know is that the TCT will pretty soon announce their new regulations.

Anybody who's currently trying to get a teacher's license through an online degree from the Philippines, etc should wait, as it seems that the new rules do not qualify for example an American who's studying for a degree from the P.I.'s.

Regardless what the outcome will be, I'm trying to think positive to be able to find another position, mainly in favor of my beloved family.

My move is not a selfish one, as I won't have any sort of better conditions for myself. I'm mainly doing it for the guys who'll still be working there and those who'll start later at this institution.

I know that I'll create some new enemies, by taking them to court, but I truly believe it has to be done. Once I've got enough information, I'll discuss this issue with my lawyer, then take the director to the local labor court, to set an example.

Will keep you updated and wish all a great weekend. -wai2.gif

If the rumour is true about having to have only degree qualifications from your home country then probably half the current NES and NNES teachers will be leaving to be replaced by the friendly Filipinos who have probably been pushing for this rule change behind the scenes!

Edited by casualbiker
  • Like 1

If the rumour is true about having to have only degree qualifications from your home country then probably half the current NES and NNES teachers will be leaving to be replaced by the friendly Filipinos who have probably been pushing for this rule change behind the scenes!

You took the words right out of my mouth, casualbiker. I just signed up at another teaching in Thailand website and saw this:

This source should be considered as serious, no bar stool bla bla.

"Well, One of my teacher friend's wife had a nice long conversation yesterday with the Teacher's Council of Thailand (Khurusapa) about the new upcoming requirements for a 5 year Teacher's license for a teacher. There are some major changes in what will be allowed and what won't, so before any of you sign up for a new course to get an extended accelerated degree such as a Master's or another degree in Education, be warned that there is talk of only allowing that extra degree course to come from your home country. So if you are from England or the U.S and want to get an accelerated degree in Education in say.....the Philippines, it wouldn't be accepted by TCT at this time with the new requirements. So my advice is to HOLD OFF on wasting your money on a new course of study until these issues get settled...because the new rules are very close to being put in place."

Yep, the friendly guys, who call all and everybody Ajarn and good broomers.....

BTW, they made it already happen to have their own Filipino teacher in Thailand association.

Might be worth if this forum lets others know to wait before they waste their money for an online degree from the Philippines.wai2.gif

P.S. Then we're not talking about 50 % anymore. 70 to 80 % would be more realistic.

Edited by lostinisaan

You keep going on about SS.

I don't understand.

You say that the director has to register "his" school by law. If it is "his" school then it must be a private school. That is a whole different story when it comes to SS.

Then you mention the word "Anuban" Is it actually an Anuban school? If so then it is a government school and the local education authority will be responsible for registration.

You keep going on about SS.

I don't understand.

You say that the director has to register "his" school by law. If it is "his" school then it must be a private school. That is a whole different story when it comes to SS.

Then you mention the word "Anuban" Is it actually an Anuban school? If so then it is a government school and the local education authority will be responsible for registration.

Mentioned school is an Anuban, a government school. Regarding the SS Department of the province, the director has to "register" the school at this office.

When I wrote "his" school, I just wanted to point out how some school directors see it. Please see attached forms, which I've received from the office and gave them to the school director.

One is the registration form for the school, the other one for its employees.

The local educational area xx office doesn't seem to be aware of it.

post-158336-0-18086100-1424579177_thumb.

post-158336-0-29499300-1424579214_thumb.

{snip}

"Well, One of my teacher friend's wife had a nice long conversation yesterday with the Teacher's Council of Thailand (Khurusapa) about the new upcoming requirements for a 5 year Teacher's license for a teacher. There are some major changes in what will be allowed and what won't, so before any of you sign up for a new course to get an extended accelerated degree such as a Master's or another degree in Education, be warned that there is talk of only allowing that extra degree course to come from your home country. So if you are from England or the U.S and want to get an accelerated degree in Education in say.....the Philippines, it wouldn't be accepted by TCT at this time with the new requirements. So my advice is to HOLD OFF on wasting your money on a new course of study until these issues get settled...because the new rules are very close to being put in place."

{snip}

P.S. Then we're not talking about 50 % anymore. 70 to 80 % would be more realistic.

Train, off the rails. It is happening in front of our very eyes. Here's the deal: every government school in Thailand *wants* NES teachers. Mostly because parents want their kids to study with a NES. A lot of schools charge parents a "NES" fee, even if the students only have 1 hour a week with one, or even if the school doesn't actually have any NES teachers -- maybe a Filipino or some Africans who can claim English as a 2nd or maybe 3rd language. Net result is that we NES give schools added prestige and income, whether deserved or not.

Khurusapa has their heads so far up ... uh, in the clouds ... that they apparently just plain don't get it.

In the meantime the Schools themselves, as is culturally common, are slow to catch on to the problem. They certainly don't anticipate it. But things are starting to snowball enough that even they are noticing things amiss. It won't fully dawn until some of those 70-80% like you mention are actually gone. But it will happen. When it does, the Schools themselves will push back. But, they know the slow turnaround time of pushback results, so they will also be looking for ... alternate routes. I think the primary thing that they are going to find is job title changes.

Maybe some loopholes will get shut, but I think that at some point the pushback from schools will be enough that this nonsense gets quietly scuttled. Probably won't be officially repealed, just a quiet word goes out to Labor and Immigration Offices to NOT enforce this stuff, to save face.

If I'm wrong, and they (khurusapa) stick to their guns... Well, government schools will lose a HUGE moneymaking chip, which will be claimed by private language schools and "we're exceptions to the rule!" teacher agencies.

Or, as another analogy:

In the US, McDonalds sells a lot of hamburgers. They need a lot of burger flippers to do that. One day, the Burger Flippers Council of McDonalds decides that to be a qualified burger flipper, you need a Masters in Gastronomy from Le Cordon Bleu in France. Yet, amazingly, the talent pool of available burger flippers that meet that requirement is astoundingly low. McDonalds tries to hire with those qualification requirements enforced, but they face a bigtime labor shortage. If they keep on that path, Burger King is going to hire all of the "unqualified" burger flippers that McDonalds let go. McDonalds can't meet demand, Burger King stock flourishes. Or, McDonalds can tell the BFCMcD to go stick their nose in a rubber hose, keep the burger flippers that they currently have employed, and maintain the status quo.

I don't know which way McDonalds is going to go in that scenario, but I can predict one thing: there is no happy ending for the Burger Flippers Council of McDonalds.

• Like 2