Searching For A Stone Elephant

patsfangr

I'm looking for a really good looking stone elephant to put in front of my house. I want a statue with realistic features, preferably in a brown stone, with the elephant standing on all fours. It should be about 1 meter from tail to trunk, and proportionally high.

I have looked in several places, and haven't found one that meets those criteria. I've looked at the place on Sukhumvit, just south of Pattaya Nua, as well as the 2 places on opposite sides of Sukhumvit between Outlet Mall and Kanyong.

Can anyone suggest a good source for a quality statue of an elephant?

The 'Lukdod' shop may be able to help you . (Near Carrefour / Pattaya Nua) They stock all items of this kind . They do have a website but I cant remember the address, try googling it :o Im 99% certain they will be able to help..

Edited by Meg_ken2003

Well, I'm still looking!

Thanks to all of you who responded so far. I did visit Lukdod, and they had a couple of beautiful big wooden elephants. Unfortunately, no stone. As I said, I want this elephant for the outside of my house, and wood won't hold up there.

As for Mantra Decor, am I wrong, or are you out of business now. I went to the website, and printed out the map from there. When I couldn't find it on 3rd Road, I asked a local shopkeeper, who said that it was "finished, no work anymore."

So, I'm still at square one in my search for the right elephant. A road trip north of BKK is certainly not high on my list of priorities, since I still have much work to do around the house. But, it may be that I have to try that some day, if I can't locate a good piece here. I'd hate to travel up there and still not find what I'm looking for.

My plea remains open. If anyone knows of a source other than those I've tried, please let me know.

Thanks!

There is a large outdoor shop on the east side of Sukhumvit Rd, between the lights at the Soi Wat Boon traffic lights and the Chaiyapruk Road traffic lights that sells a plethora of outdoor stone (cement) animals.

Most are painted however.

You could probably get them to supply and paint a couple of chang in a more natural looking colour than white.

:o

I see the elephants you are referring to when I drive through PakChong area twice every week!

Beware though, the handcarved (not cement) ones are surprisingly expensive.

I cant remember the prices now, but I remember they were a LOT of money......

Sorry if this info is out of date, but if you drive along Sukhumvit Pattaya past Big C and Tesco Lotus, in the Sattahip direction. There used to be a couple of granite/marble outdoor shops on the left hand side of the road.

These sold sheets of stone, but the guys are buying it and bringing it down direct from the factories in Pak Chong / Saraburi area.

If you show them a picture of what you want they may well be able to get the elephants for you.

Andy

Edited by Andyfez

I see the elephants you are referring to when I drive through PakChong area twice every week!

Beware though, the handcarved (not cement) ones are surprisingly expensive.

I cant remember the prices now, but I remember they were a LOT of money......

Sorry if this info is out of date, but if you drive along Sukhumvit Pattaya past Big C and Tesco Lotus, in the Sattahip direction. There used to be a couple of granite/marble outdoor shops on the left hand side of the road.

These sold sheets of stone, but the guys are buying it and bringing it down direct from the factories in Pak Chong / Saraburi area.

If you show them a picture of what you want they may well be able to get the elephants for you.

Andy

Thanks, Andy. I think I know the granite shop you're talking about. I believe it's on the corner of "Avenue Gau", where you'd turn to go toward the Elepant Village.

But I don't think I'd feel comfortable trusting someone to pick an elephant for me. It's going to be too important a piece for me to buy without seeing it for myself. I may talk to those guys, and, if they'd be willing to bring one down here without my commitment to buy it, fine. Otherwise, I may have bite the bullet, and take a trip up to Pak Chong in a few days.

At the security gates to View Talay Condo 2 there are stone elephants sat on the grass, go their and ask the management where they got them.Do do look quite impressive.I also want some so if I ask first I'll let you know.

:o EPG.

Thanks for that tip, EPG. I'd appreciate it if you do pass along any info you get, should you ask first. Meanwhile, can you give me some specifics on the location of View Talay Condo 2? Is that in Jomtien? How would I drive there from Sukhumvit Rd in Pattaya?

There is only one place where you have to look and this is near the oceanside of Chonburi, more exactly, in Ang Sila!

Granite in all shapes

I really have to wonder that none is mentioning Ang Sila :o , TV, home of the whining Trolls...